Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 15-02-2006, 09:32 PM
On a final warning

dodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Ollie
got in from my run about an hour ago, i ran 7.3miles in 53.25secs today. Averaging a speed of 8.19 miles an hour. This included a long slowly incresing hill (stoats nest road) afetr your about 5 miles into a run keeping the same effort up the hill takes some great determination. So many thoughts go thorugh your mind! Hows everyone doing?
Old 15-02-2006, 11:40 PM

One Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Training going well. Averaging around 75 miles a week over the last month, with a long run of 19.5 miles this week (completed comfortably without tiredness and heart rate mostly in mid eighty percent range.) Did 302 miles total in January. Have done 3 long runs over 16 miles to date, around 8 medium runs in the 11-15 mile range (at least one a week.) Doing doubles about twice a week. Downside has been a shortage of speed/interval track sessions (only two in January -- another one with the club tomorrow.) That will be the focus in March.

Have done no racing in 2006 to date and probably won't do a pre-marathon half (for various reasons.) Have a cross country on Sunday and will do 1-2 more of those before April. I'm running Boston, not London, by the way.

Overall, feel like I am where I need to be to go under 3 hours. Which, of course, doesn't mean I will on the day...
Old 16-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Doing my usual minimum effort - a 3 or 4 mile jog every other day!!!
But then I've done 3 before and don't really care about my time, 6 hours will do me. I just like taking part and savouring the crowds, views and the atmosphere! I guess I get longer to savour it, that's all!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 16-02-2006, 08:42 AM

GanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Watch out for Plantar Fasciitis (?) - damage to the tendons that join your heal which can be caused by a lot of running on a hard surface. I did the Bristol half marathon last year and have had to pull out of this year's run because of it .

Anyway, good luck to you both - I thought a half marathon was long enough so a full marathon ..... it was kind of fun though in a spaced out sort of way
Old 16-02-2006, 09:56 PM
On a final warning

dodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Olliedodge_bond belongs to Ollie
One step, What was you time when you ran the London marathon last? You come accross as a serious runner and would like to see the time you would expect to complete the London marathon in if you were competing this year. Thank you
Old 16-02-2006, 09:57 PM

One Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Quote:
Originally posted by GanbareWashi
Watch out for Plantar Fasciitis (?) - damage to the tendons that join your heal which can be caused by a lot of running on a hard surface. I did the Bristol half marathon last year and have had to pull out of this year's run because of it .

Anyway, good luck to you both - I thought a half marathon was long enough so a full marathon ..... it was kind of fun though in a spaced out sort of way
It's not caused by what you run on as much as your running style itself. Hard surfaces will exacerbate the condition if it's already there, but they generally won't cause it. Orthoses and/or various other devices (like toe splints,) in addition to adjusting the way you run with no aids at all, should clear it up. See a podiatrist who should be able to make a diagnosis and give you a course of action simply by observing your form on a treadmill.
Old 17-04-2006, 08:40 PM
On a final warning

5 days 11 hours to go people! ! !
Old 18-04-2006, 05:27 AM

Not for me. I finished the Boston Marathon about twelve hours ago (in 3 hours 6 minutes) and relieved I am too (albeit relieved of one big toe nail into the bargain!). Much better race than London, I have to say. Rather like comparing Wimbledon to the US Open, but in reverse. Boston has so much history and tradition (today was the 110th running, dwarfing all other races) that it's quite an experience doing it.
Old 18-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
My "training" (if you can call it that) has been a joke lately. No doubt the only time I wil rival will be my personal worst of 6hrs 6 mins!! It's not the winning, it's the taking part!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 18-04-2006, 08:32 AM
On a final warning

My training is a joke too! ! !
5 days and 15 minutes people! ! !
Old 18-04-2006, 04:49 PM

I'm going to get flamed, but I disagree. It's NOT the taking part, an all too common misconception when it comes to marathons. Obviously, not everyone is going to win, but the achievement is pushing yourself and doing the best that you can. Not just showing up and ambling round twenty six miles.

Contrary to popular belief, anyone can complete a marathon (and many do, into their eighties.) The human body is designed to withstand quite a lot of physical hardship -- one reason we haven't died out over the past few thousand years as a race. So I have no great respect for those people who clearly haven't taken it seriously. Fine, good for them if they're having a laugh; I'm not being judgemental and those people have every right to run. But disrespecting the distance is nothing to be proud of.

Conversely, those who train properly and really run at the highest level they are capable of I think are fantastic whether they finish in two hours or six. They are the unsung people who really make the marathon what it is.
Old 18-04-2006, 05:12 PM

Two-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS MurrayTwo-Tone FFS Murray
Yeah guys its getting close isn't it.

I'm looking forward to it at the moment.

Filling myself with positive vibes.

My heart, lungs and muscles feel strong.

The tapering has eased my aches and pains and i'm going in with confidence.

One Step Down, is there anywhere i can find a detailed walk through of the course as I would like to do some positive visualisation of various stages so if I feel bad when I get to them I have something I can think about to make me feel better.

Oh and if anyone still fancies it, you can sponsor me on To view the link you have to Register or Login

Have just beatan the £2,000 marker but am pushing on for as much as I can get.

Thanks!
Old 18-04-2006, 05:33 PM

Try runnersworld.co.uk. If there's something anywhere, it'll be there. Also, the following thoughts might help.

Start
The start is not particularly atmospheric, other than the excitement the runners themselves generate. Blackheath Common is the original windy heath and there tend not to be masses of spectators there. Furthermore, as there are three seperate starts and the pens are quite well spaced out within each, you don't really have the feeling of big event until you are some way down the road and the first crowds start to pick up.

This is unlike Boston yesterday, for instance, where you start in much smaller pens and in the middle of a town so there are a lot of people cheering when the gun goes off.

Early miles
The first 3-4 miles of London can be a bit soul destroying. There is a long drag up to the first left hand turn, and then quite a lot of dowhill as I recall heading for Greenwich town centre. The crowds pick up as you get closer to the latter, but at this point you really want to focus on finding your rhythm and getting into a groove. I'd recommend going with the flow without over-stretching yourself here. You shouldn't be having problems focusing this early!

The Cutty Sark, right around 10k, is probably the first marker you'll visualise focussing on and this is the first point where the crowds build in a major way. The loop around the ship itself can be fairly congested, but it's one of the points in the course where you think it's a great event and you forget yourself for a moment.

With Greenwich behind you, you now head through some of the less attractive streets of London (we are talking Millwall here) aiming for the next major marker at more or less the halfway stage, Tower Bridge. In the immediate aftermath of Greenwich the crowds remain good and loud, but you go through another somewhat sould destroying stretch as you get closer to the bridge when things quieten down. If you've done your training then the requirement here is just concentration but if you're a novice marathon runner, this may be the first time you think about just how many miles you're undertaking. Try to bear down and think about your running form: Don't overstride. Keep your head above your body. Keep your arms moving lightly across your body. Run with a shuffling gait. Don't lean forward. Getting your form right will save you a great deal of pain later.

When you come to Tower Bridge, and immediately thereafter, you will feel you've crossed a barrier. You're now halfway but furthermore you're over the river and face a course that now divides itself neatly into two halves; the bit to and around Canary Wharf, and then the long drag home. Concentrate on running those as two 10Ks and you're home.

The Canary Wharf half is fairly dull. There aren't massive crowds in the early part of that section and it's a pretty gray, characterless part of the city. There are quite a few twists and turns which don't help and the exit from the Isle of Dogs seems to take absolutely forever. I found this the hardest part of the course because at this stage you're starting to tire but home is nowhere, as yet, in sight. The key is to aim for the second pass of the Tower, and really try to be mentally strong. Hold back a treat (a gel, jelly baby, or something like that) to help your through these miles.

Once you get off the Isle of Dogs, you may have another 10K to go but you're on the way home. The last hard section is from the Isle itself back to the Tower but the excitement starts to pick up and even though you may now be slowing, you are almost home. Just aim for the Tower because once you're there, the last couple of miles along the Embankment are run on a crescendo of noise and they take care of themselves.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'm sure you'll have a great day.
Old 18-04-2006, 05:55 PM
People are People

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Good luck. Don't forget to have a decent breakfast (but not a fry-up!)
Old 19-04-2006, 02:50 AM

For what it's worth, I've always found it's most effective to confront the pain rather than try to visualise it away. At some point, you're going to go into glycogen debt and have to start burning fat for energy and the simple reality is that with a relative lack of experience, it's not going to be fun from that point onwards. Or put another way, you have to make it a different type of fun! All training can do is delay that point and also train you to burn fat more efficiently when the time arrives; neither tricks that your body has learned unless you've been running for a while now.

The best advice is that when it starts to hurt, confront it. Don't think about naked Phillipino masseuses (which will only slow you down :-)).Suck it up and realise you've reached the barrier that defines what the marathon is about. You have to run through it. Pretty much everyone crosses the barrier at some point in a race, but trained athletes cope with it better. That's time to look around and have some presence of mind rather than to recede into fantasy land. There'll be plenty of other people hurting too.

Sounds like you are well set and ready. Don't fret at this point (even if you're not ready, there's nothing you can do about it now.) Try to sleep well Friday night (it's the night before the night before that really counts in terms of rest; no one sleeps the night before the race itself and as someone else said, get breakfast right. You really want to go, if not for porridge, for whole grains (bread, bagels, whatever), preferably with honey, which score well on the GI and release energy over a period of time. Assuming you'll eat breakfast early, take a carb drink on the way to the start to top up.

Don't start too fast. Run within yourself for the first few miles. You'll be glad you did later. It really is true that while you can bank minutes in the first half if you're trying to run a time, if you use your reserves too early you can rarely get them back.

And really, enjoy the day. I know I keep saying it but if you've done the training you really have no reason to think you won't perform brilliantly when it matters. And there are plenty of marathons a lot better than London, so you'll have deciding which one to do next to look forward to on Monday morning.
Old 19-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Quote:
Originally posted by One Step Down
I'm going to get flamed, but I disagree. It's NOT the taking part, an all too common misconception when it comes to marathons. Obviously, not everyone is going to win, but the achievement is pushing yourself and doing the best that you can. Not just showing up and ambling round twenty six miles.................
I've no problem with that opinion at all. Indeed I totally respect all those serious runners who would have taken it a lot more seriously but for a bit of luck in the ballot for places.

I guess I'm the equivalent of a once a season Palace fan getting a ticket for a Cup Final (ahead of a regular attendee) and not being bothered at leaving early and missing the lap of honour.

But so what. Each to their own. We'll all get our own enjoyment and satisfaction from doing it, however seriously or not we take it and to me, that's all tha matters. Oh and the charity money raised in the process - those that sponsor won't care if it takes me 3 hours or 6, and neither will I if ultimately the money comes in.
Old 19-04-2006, 10:35 AM
On a final warning

Had a huge fright yesterday, couldnt find my registration form! ! !
Anyone getting their running number today? ? ?
How big are the bags they give you to put your belongings in? ? ?
Old 19-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Collecting Palace tat

yeah going up to registration after work tonight
the bags are very large draw string bags - more than big enough for your tracksuit and other bits
the instructions they give you are very detailed and very useful - read them carefully twice, and take them with you on race day in case you need to refer to them.

Old 19-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Caution: mild irritant

marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you marky1976 would leap in front of a flying bullet for you
Flora London Marathon on Sunday

Anyone running?
Old 19-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Banned by Moderators

paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002 paulhgc2002
jade goody is

To view the link you have to Register or Login