Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
Since the hen should've been there (which I disagree with) but wasn't, is exactly why we need someone on the back post. Not sakho tho, I'd go with jimmy Mac.
It's absolutely incredible that we have nobody there at all. In order of importance:

1) somebody in the vicinity of the back post (surely not asking too much?!)
2) someone there who can head the ball - I'd go with the most aerially dominant cb we have so not JM. I'd go with Tomkins
3) someone actually on the back post - they don't need to be able to head it, just a body clear the ball off the line - perhaps Townsend?

Again, I can't believe such an obvious weakness that has been going on for months minimum and possibly years is perennially ignored by such an experienced coach like Hodgson.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:31 AM
Party on

Chris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Organising the defence on the pitch for corners should be the job of the captain/dominant centre back, not the manager.

Feels to me this would be Sakho, a haphazard approach to a situation from an (generally excellent) erratic centre back.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 AM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Finch View Post
Organising the defence on the pitch for corners should be the job of the captain/dominant centre back, not the manager.

Feels to me this would be Sakho, a haphazard approach to a situation from an (generally excellent) erratic centre back.
I thought it was up to the manager to decide who marks who, and whether strikers come back into the box etc? FWIW I don't want the likes of Zaha coming back - keep attacking players who are poor in the air further forward. But we must defend the far post.

If it is up to the captain then Luka Milivojevic (who was captain even with Sakho on the pitch) needs to organise us with someone on the back post, and someone back post to mark the opposition. Long term I hope we also sign some more aerially-dominant defenders/midfielders, but let's be clear: this particular goal vs Bournemouth was not down to aerial deficiency it was down to organisational deficiencies.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:53 AM
Party on

Chris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I’m sure Roy and Ray set a strategy, man mark/zonal/someone on posts/protecting the keeper/who goes and closes short corners down.

But in terms of heat of the moment, someone at the back has to take charge and remind everyone of their jobs.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
It's absolutely incredible that we have nobody there at all. In order of importance:

1) somebody in the vicinity of the back post (surely not asking too much?!)
2) someone there who can head the ball - I'd go with the most aerially dominant cb we have so not JM. I'd go with Tomkins
3) someone actually on the back post - they don't need to be able to head it, just a body clear the ball off the line - perhaps Townsend?

Again, I can't believe such an obvious weakness that has been going on for months minimum and possibly years is perennially ignored by such an experienced coach like Hodgson.
Tomkins would be a terrible waste just to potentially head a ball from the top back corner of the goal. He's much better at being aerially dominant in the six yard box. I mentioned JM because he's cleared off the line so many times in the run of play. Theoretically, we shouldn't even be allowing the other team possession of the ball from the corner, but it is more likely to be defended from six feet down ( I'm assuming JM is six feet tall) than the top two feet above his head.
By rights, the goalie has the advantage of height and hands, but obviously that isn't a given. Also, we could afford to have a player on each post, as numerically the defending team has the advantage over the attacking team by at least four players (the corner kicker, the attacking teams goalie, two players back at the halfway line to defend a counter attack).

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.
Abraham J. Herschel, Jewish theologian and philosopher

be nice to me...I have considerable rep power!
Old 11-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Finch View Post

Organizing for set plays, defensive or offensive has to be done in training. Who's on the post/s has to be either a named player or a position. I'd rather see a midfielder guard the posts and leave the defenders free to what they do best, mark players

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.
Abraham J. Herschel, Jewish theologian and philosopher

be nice to me...I have considerable rep power!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:10 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
In the 'old' days both full backs occupied the posts at corners, no problem from corners with that.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Back On The Circuit.

Vince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVince Hilarious : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I seem to remember either Cabaye or Puncheon used to be on the back post when we were defending corners and there was multiple times last season that they managed to block shots / headers off the line.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:49 PM

palace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace4me : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
By rights, the goalie has the advantage of height and hands, but obviously that isn't a given.
Crisp packet hands.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Apprentice Critic.

4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet4 cryingOutloud came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If we had a goalkeeper who could anticipate the flight of the ball and go collect it thing's would be better.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Sureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down lowSureagle will cross the room to turn the lights down low
I think the reasoning behind not having men on the posts/line is to catch attackers offside from second balls. I do not agree with it at all but I think a lot of teams seem to do that but it does NOT seem to help a team like ours. As we saw on Sat, it is way too risky and certainly foolish in the 89th min when we are leading. We have also conceded goals from balls played back after the initial clearance (Arsenal home and Man U home) when the whole defence has not moved out together.

In the past regime, McArthur, Cabaye, Ward, Puncheon have all made vital goalie clearances. We need to revert to that style of defending corners.

I saw Liverpool catch out Man City offside several times when tried a short corner routine and Barcelona never had any men on the posts when Roma scored the crucial third goal in Champions League yesterday.

Last edited by Sureagle; 11-04-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 14-04-2018, 05:01 PM

Another goal conceded at the back post. We need to sort this out.
Old 14-04-2018, 05:26 PM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
Another goal conceded at the back post. We need to sort this out.
Sakho deals with it and there's nothing to sort, plus we had mcarthur that would have headed it out if it wasn't for Murray