Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 27-04-2003, 06:08 PM
www.b00mb0x.org

Del Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Help!

If I have bought a ticket for a gig and have checked that there is no age limit with the venue, what is my position when one is suddenly imposed?

This has happened to me for the Cave-In gig at ULU who my son desperately wants to see. The tickets do not mention anything about an age restriction and I would be pretty miffed to travel up to central London to be turned away and to lose money on the tickets.
Old 30-04-2003, 06:20 PM

Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
REM are playing 2 gigs at Brixton on (I think) the 23rd and 24th of June, it's a Tuesday and a Wednesday anyway. A great chance to see them in such a small venue. Tickets go on general sale on Saturday through Ticketmaster, and presumably the other usual channels, they're already on sale on fanclub members I'm going on the Wednesday.
Old 30-04-2003, 06:43 PM

as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216
Quote:
Originally posted by Del Gland
Help!

If I have bought a ticket for a gig and have checked that there is no age limit with the venue, what is my position when one is suddenly imposed?

This has happened to me for the Cave-In gig at ULU who my son desperately wants to see. The tickets do not mention anything about an age restriction and I would be pretty miffed to travel up to central London to be turned away and to lose money on the tickets.
Probably best to check direct with the venue.

Oops you've already done that - I'll get my coat
Old 01-05-2003, 08:33 PM

Two days till the Wildies!!!!!

I can tell you are all quivering in anticipation.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:22 AM
www.b00mb0x.org

Del Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by as216
Probably best to check direct with the venue.

Oops you've already done that - I'll get my coat
Yep and I spoke to the agency who swear that they had the age limit specified - liars!! The bottom line is that he can't go and that's final.

Went to see The Counterfiet Stones in Redhill. I can't recommend them enough. They play the songs better than the Stone's themselves .

It works even better once your vision is distorted by copious amounts of pre-gig lagers and J.D chasers (it's a Keef rock and roll tribute thing!) as it's hard to see the band in too much detail.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:32 AM

AddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I have got tickets for one big weekend on Sunday in Manchester featuring Badly Drawn Boy, White Stripes, Feeder, Stereophonics and others. I got them free through work as we are sponsoring the event but don't know whether to go or not.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Elementary

Elusive is finding a place in our heartElusive is finding a place in our heartElusive is finding a place in our heartElusive is finding a place in our heart
Quote:
Originally posted by Del Gland
The Vines London Astoria 23/04/03

The Vines opened up their short tour by playing their postponed NME gig last night.

As with the other NME gigs there were two support bands. The first was a band that I had not heard of called The Stands. I was quite impressed with their sound which was mainly guitar based and had elements of Tom Petty/Thrills/La's. Very tuneful and they went down very well with the crowd, especially when they played an mainly instrumental number that showed how together they were. One to watch!

Next, it was Rocket Science. There have been murmours of great things, but I have to say that I found them pretty bland. The frontman's dramatic playing of the theremin on top of the speakers reminded me of the monolith scene in 2001 and didn't do anything for me. One long number was based on the riff from "Foxy Lady" and I'm sure half the audience thought it was the Hendrix classic as the vocals were so inauduble.My daughter, however, liked them and bought their EP which we listened to on the way home but it still left me flat.

So, after a short break, on strolled The Vines and just ripped the place apart.

Craig Nicholls is one of those frontmen that can come across as a Rock God or a complete jerk depending on your point of view. Well, it's the former for me. Only Casey Chaos comes close with the same on-stage intensity.

They played a number of new tracks which indicate a strong follow up to "Highly Evolved". In between they played most of my favourites in between much on stage mayhem. The notable ommission was the brilliant "1969". However, in it's place, they played a new song "F the World" as an encore which was an epic. It could only end in another bout of stage destruction and didn't disappoint. Craig dived into the drums, threw his guitar and managed to clumsily knock the amps over. This was a great Spinal Tap moment as he lost his balance completely and toppled right over with only his legs waving in the air behind the heap of equipment.

My gripes? Firstly the set was only just over an hour. Secondly, there were a handful of slam dancers who were really trying to cause injury and mayhem to all around them. The security guys really needed to get in there and to pull them out. Finally, when the band finshed their set, the audience were strangely subdued. I suspect that this was from exhaustion after they had ripped the roof off with a thunderous version of "Get Free".

There are still tickets available for Brixton. It wasn't sold out last night either and the touts took a hammering (£10 a ticket) Thoroughly recommended, one of the best live bands around - don't miss it!.
Rocket Science were utter utter rubbish. The vines were not as good as I was expecting after the singles that came out. Not hugely impressed.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Rhymin & Stealin

nookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Well it all went Pete Tong for me on Wednesday

Went to Concorde 2 to see Folk Implosion

headliners are usually on about 9.45 so got there about 9.25

Without warning they'd changed the running order, meaning Folk Implosion were no longer the headliner - some band called Cinerama was.

As me and Mrs Bear walked through the door, I spotted Folk Implosion walking off having just finished their set.

They came back on for three more songs, but their was a problem with the sound system and they were having to play without monitors (sounded awful), and then Cinerama refused to play anyway because of the same problems

So I went home at 10pm pissed off and wanting my money back

they're reckon they're going to re-schedule but I wasn't amused
Old 02-05-2003, 05:33 PM

TARRING EAGLE is playing for a contract
Quote:
Originally posted by nookiebear
[B]Well it all went Pete Tong for me on Wednesday

Went to Concorde 2 to see Folk Implosion

headliners are usually on about 9.45 so got there about 9.25

Without warning they'd changed the running order, meaning Folk Implosion were no longer the headliner - some band called Cinerama was.
When i went to see Radio 4 at the concorde a couple of weeks ago, i was given a flyer on the way out which had Cinerama as the headline band, i was a bit suprised that Folk Implosion were supporting, but thats not to say Cinerama shouldn't headline the concorde.
They are Dave Gedge of The Wedding Present's new band and are actually pretty good.
I was going to go wednesday night but couldn't get off work.
Today i got tickets to see The Kills at the wedgewood rooms in southsea, on june 12th.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:22 AM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Concorde 2 is an awful venue...

The sound was done by kids who were far more interested in DJ'ing when the band I roadie for played there...

And as for the lights

'Bono ain't the new messiah
Michael Jackson is a liar'
Old 03-05-2003, 11:26 AM

I saw Wildhearts + The Darkness there last year and thought it was a nice little place - despite having to walk for ages to find it past all the boy racers and their souped-up cars.

Off to Pompey tonight to see Wildhearts and Amen. Full report tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:19 PM

What a night!!

Portsmouth Pyramids was almost full last night for the return of the Wildhearts.

First up were Darling fronted by Ginger Wildhearts better half Angie (formerly of Fluffy). Not bad pop punk but you could see inexperience and nervousness on their faces as they've yet to reach double figures in gigs yet. One to watch though.

Considerably younger crowd than you'd normally see for a Wildhearts gig and that could be partially down to special guests Amen. Loud, shouty thrash punk which was mildly enjoyable and they certainly kept the roadies busy by knocking down half the drum kit every five minutes. And god knows how Casey Chaos didn't break an ankle or something after leaping off the speaker stack.

Then to the stars of the show. I know I go on about this lot quite a bit but at this stage of their career and considering the trials and tribulations of the last few years, it's a wonder they're still with us. Unfortunately Danny McCormack is back in rehab so bass duties were admirably performed with just a weeks practice by Random John Poole (of Cardiacs/Silver Ginger 5). This is the fifth time I've seen them and they improve with every performance - perfect sound and a faultless performance with a good crowd too leading Ginger to declare us all honourary Geordies. To top it all off they played Sky Babies - in full!! If you've never heard this track go download it now - one of their best by far. One minor concern is the lack of recent material and rather surprisingly they didn't play the forthcoming single (see my signature) either. All in all a top night though and it's clear they won over a load of new fans as evidenced by the hordes of Amen fans crowding round the WH merchandise table at the end. Here's looking forward to the next tour.

Set listing:

I Wanna Go Where The People Go
TV Tan
Suckerpunch
Sick Of Drugs
OCD
Vanilla Radio
Jonesing For Jones
Caffeine Bomb
Nita Nitro
Theme From Cheers
Schitzophonic
My Baby Is A Headf**k
Caprice
--------------
Don't Worry About Me
Sky Babies
Love U Till I Don't
Old 04-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Originally posted by nookiebear
Folk Implosion were no longer the headliner - some band called Cinerama was.
David Gedge's (x-Wedding Present) band.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Vive La Revolution

Shoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw Shed Seven at the Camden Barfly on Sunday. Not groundbreaking, but just plenty of good tunes and smiley people except for the children slamming and eventually fighting at the front.

Blur on Thursday.....

www.bensheroestrust.org

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case...
Old 07-05-2003, 09:18 AM

Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
Quote:
Originally posted by Twyford Bee
REM are playing 2 gigs at Brixton on (I think) the 23rd and 24th of June, it's a Tuesday and a Wednesday anyway. A great chance to see them in such a small venue. Tickets go on general sale on Saturday through Ticketmaster, and presumably the other usual channels, they're already on sale on fanclub members I'm going on the Wednesday.
Apparently about 90% of the tickets were fanclub only, ahould be a good atmosphere I'll be seeing them 3 times in less than 3 weeks, after many years of never seeing them.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:01 AM
www.b00mb0x.org

Saw Cooper Temple Clause at the Concorde last night. I had not seen them before and was very impressed. It was a sonic assault a la Primal Scream from start to finish. "Kill The Music" is a monster track live!!

I detected similarities between them and The Music only I would say that the Cooper Temple Clause were listening to Pink Floyd instead of Led Zeppelin.

A special mention for the Rain Band. Again, similar to the Music but not quite as adventurous - file under "one to watch".

Cave-In next week!!
Old 07-05-2003, 10:09 AM

gingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by as216
What a night!!

Portsmouth Pyramids was almost full last night for the return of the Wildhearts.

I saw them at the Forum on Friday. Good gig they just get better and better. Though the guy did well on bass. But they had a few problms with there guitars so didn't sound as good as it could. Thought the film from cheers was great!!! the video for "So into you" is great!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Yo La Tengo were super last night, playing about half of the new record and a 'greatest hits' mixture drawn largely from I can hear the heart beating as one and And then nothing turned itself inside out. One or two early bits, too. Very warmly received by a partisan crowd. Lots of quick instrument swapping, Georgia was super-cool on drums and the opening version of Nuclear War ruled.

Supports were M Ward (stupidly early - must have gone on as the doors opened, as I only caught the last three songs) who was funny and quiet, and the ambitious Capital K. They're what I'm calling a Wakefield band, in that their existence is predicated on that stretch of the sonic M1 running between Sheffield and Leeds. Not with me? Well, the band concept was: 'Hey guys, remember those great Cure dance remixes? Imagine what would have happened if the Sisters of Mercy had asked Utah Saints to try something similar!' Three people who grew up listening to nothing else but Yorkshire goth, Human League, the entire output of Warp records 1990-1995 (no more recent influence detectable, bizarrely) and some dodgy industrial bedsit laptop rubbish the basement tenant blasts at 3am.

Home-made T-shirts though.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
Gav, my flatmate went to the YLT gig and raved about it too. He also said something about them playing an open air gig somewhere in Central London this summer - do you know about this? I'll find out more details if you want.

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI
Old 09-05-2003, 12:53 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
Been meaning to do this for ages - sorry its late!!:

GENE - ULU, 25 April

Remember Britpop-lite? The floppy-fringe blokiness of Louise Wener in Sleeper, the candy-voiced sassiness of Echobelly’s Sonya Aurora Madan, and Rick Witter of Shed Seven staggering round the stage like a tramp on too much Special Brew are all images to make any Camden kid of the 90s start suffering flashbacks. Tonight, however, it’s the best Britpop-lite band of all – Gene – who have taken the year 1997, recreated it on the second floor of studentsia and then reminded us just how things were back then. And, thank God, we don’t have to listen to Kate poxy Thornton reminiscing on it either.

When Gene burst onto the scene mid-nineties, they split the music press in two: some wrote them off as Smiths wannabes, others realised that, despite the inevitable Morrissey comparisons, Martin Rossiter and his band were astutely talented musicians. So just as Oasis were reworking Beatles B-sides and Ocean Colour Scene were using Weller-by-numbers for their assaults on the charts, Gene used the Smiths references to their advantage and wrote tunes like Speak To Me Someone and Olympian, paeans to modern angst that Morrissey himself would have been envious of.

And while tonight’s shindig is basically a retrospective greatest hits sit, Gene still have that knack of drawing a crowd into their grasp and refusing to let go. The love songs work because even at the lowest ebb of their lyrics, they still sound glorious, “I can only be normal with you” a line so contradictorily wonderful that it belies the sense of loss behind it. Truly, Chris Martin doesn’t know the meaning of gloom.

As Good As It Gets, Where Are They Now?, You’ll Never Walk Again, Fighting Fit – “I seek cover in all your glories” still gets the shivers going – Gene might well be in the sunset of their career, but even beyond that beckoning horizon these tunes will live long in the memory. By the time they close with For The Dead, every single person in this sold out time capsule is hanging on Rossiter’s every word. He sashays round the stage in his element, and it’s the pinnacle of a triumphant night. Not even Back To The Future did time travel this well: Olympian, indeed.

Ben Wilson

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI