Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 09-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Rhymin & Stealin

nookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Quote:
Originally posted by TARRING EAGLE
When i went to see Radio 4 at the concorde a couple of weeks ago, i was given a flyer on the way out which had Cinerama as the headline band, i was a bit suprised that Folk Implosion were supporting, but thats not to say Cinerama shouldn't headline the concorde.
They are Dave Gedge of The Wedding Present's new band and are actually pretty good.
I was going to go wednesday night but couldn't get off work.
Today i got tickets to see The Kills at the wedgewood rooms in southsea, on june 12th.
I walk past a big poster every day on my way to Brighton station for Concorde 2 and it still said Folk Implosion were headliners on the day of the gig

I'd never heard of Cinerama but now I wouldn't mind seeing them if it's the chap from Wedding Present

I'd love to see the Kills, cracking album
Old 10-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Southern Bitch

Oryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
Originally posted by as216
What a night!!

Portsmouth Pyramids was almost full last night for the return of the Wildhearts.
Nice review, Andrew. They've got to be one of the best live bands I've ever seen as well. The hell knows when I'll get to see them again though (sigh).
Old 10-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Let it Be

Riccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Myself and young Skin Up are going to go to the Bluetones gig at the Concorde on the 21st if anyone is up for it PM me or the young chap.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Gav, my flatmate went to the YLT gig and raved about it too. He also said something about them playing an open air gig somewhere in Central London this summer - do you know about this? I'll find out more details if you want.
July 14th, Somerset House, supporting Calexico.

That's an absolute must, and I'll be booking imminently. For anyone as yet unfamiliar with Calexico, or who hasn't heard the latest record (their best yet IMO), I urge you to make their acquaintance. Their Barbican show last year was absolutely storming, and included a fantastic nine-piece or so mariachi band, so I'll be hoping they're coming back too.

After that, I'm seeing PJ Harvey at the Eden Project, Cornwall on August 15th. Bizarre factor 9.5.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Originally posted by nookiebear
I'd never heard of Cinerama but now I wouldn't mind seeing them if it's the chap from Wedding Present
Haven't heard a lot, but they're aptly named I think: sort of self-consciously epic pop songs, usually featuring organs and strings, that well up into big choruses and suggest moving pictures. A bit like a good version of that Sheffield band who did that song called something like 'Monday Morning 3AM'. Was it the Longpigs, or someone else? Or a bit like an indie, more restrained McAlmont & Butler where the guy can't really sing and there are no guitar solos. Hmmm.

David Gedge is big mates with Sean Hughes too, apparently.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Well, I 'm going to see Smog with Matt Elliott, 3rd Eye Foundation, on Saturday....then next week, Yo La Tengo, Go Betweens, Folk Imlosion, White Stripes, Wire, Belle and Sebastian, Arab Strap, Teenage Fanclub, Baxter Dury, Thalia Zedek, Television..... busy, I'll be.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:39 AM

Richard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
It's at Union Chapel.
Is that actually a chapel? It says it has a bar and smoking's allowed at the bar but not in the chapel. Strrrrrange. Should be fun though.
Is this the Union Chapel by the Ford dealers at Highbury corner ? Used to be theatrical rehearsal venue, when I last went there (admittedly about five years ago). From what I remember I imagine it would make quite a good gig venue, albeit small. An altarnative venue, of course.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Aisle have to give it a miss, sadly.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard
An altarnative venue, of course.
Not the place for the Quo, then?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:51 AM
www.b00mb0x.org

Del Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
That's the 4th mention of the Quo today.

I heard that they have had to re-record some of their earlier stuff for a new compilation. I wonder if the 45 minute "wig out" version of Is It Really Me/Gotta Get Home that they used to play regularly will be included. I have still got to get round to suing them for permanent neck damage!

It might upset the "Living On An Island/In The Army Now" brigade though
Old 12-05-2003, 12:13 PM

Richard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I knew I could corrupt this esoteric thread ! Hehehe. I expect they'll happily play there if their audience dwindles to the right size. Sadly, I shall probably be in that audience.

Del Gland, their concerts haven't been the same since they stopped doing the full length version of Forty-five hundred times ....

Last edited by Richard; 12-05-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Self Portrait

Quote:
Well, I 'm going to see Smog with Matt Elliott, 3rd Eye Foundation, on Saturday....then next week, Yo La Tengo, Go Betweens, Folk Imlosion, White Stripes, Wire, Belle and Sebastian, Arab Strap, Teenage Fanclub, Baxter Dury, Thalia Zedek, Television..... busy, I'll be.
Yipe - that's very nearly an armful.

Didn't know Television were touring - is it any kind of original line-up and are they coming over here, do you know?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Middle class left.

They're playing the "Primavera Sound Festival" in Barcelona, a rather cool thing in the "Pueblo Espanyol" on Montjüic. Presume that Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd must be in the band if they call themselves "Television" but I'll find out. Hard thing to google, isn't it, "Television"?
Old 14-05-2003, 12:44 PM
www.b00mb0x.org

Del Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I see that Royksopp are on with Yo La Tengo at Somerset House. sounds like a good night out!
Old 14-05-2003, 02:24 PM

Clapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw the Raveonettes last night - played stuff from "Whip it On" as well as new album due out July. Excellent stuff!
Old 14-05-2003, 05:01 PM

Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
They're playing the "Primavera Sound Festival" in Barcelona, a rather cool thing in the "Pueblo Espanyol" on Montjüic. Presume that Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd must be in the band if they call themselves "Television" but I'll find out. Hard thing to google, isn't it, "Television"?
They are indeed with, Billy Ficca and the bass player (who I forget) as well -details on marquee.demon.co.uk No mention of any other shows than the Spanish ones though. Shame.
Old 14-05-2003, 05:19 PM
leviathan

ozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
yo la tengo doing gigs in London soon,
as for me, saw Ice Cream Hands at the Evelyn in Fitzroy Sat night,
stonker, also saw a handy little Qld band supporting, Shifter.

tr.v. an·nexed, an·nex·ing, an·nex·es

To append or attach, especially to a larger or more significant thing.
To incorporate (territory) into an existing political unit such as a country, state, county, or city.
To add or attach, as an attribute, condition, or consequence.
Old 15-05-2003, 12:06 PM
www.b00mb0x.org

CAVE-IN London ULU

Two good support bands were on last night. Hiding With Girls are one of those bands that are great for support slots but you can't imagine them hitting the big time. The Damm Personals are from Boston and were impressive with the two guitarists playing well off each other backed by a solid drummer in the Dave Grohl mode. I felt the need to purchase their CD at the gig and play it on the way home. It's a good album.

Cave-In are impressive! Whereas most band struggle to find good killer riffs, Cave-In have a boxful! As soon as the riff kicked in on the second number, "Inspire", the place exploded. You sometimes worry when a band do your favourite number so early, whether they can keep the pace, but Cave-In had no problems. They even managed to include the weird and wonderful "Seafrost" . Before they launched into it, they informed the crowd that if they had any drugs, now was the time to use them. If you know the track, you will understand why.

Definitely a band to watch!!

Also, a special mention for the Cave-In lads for spending so much time signing autographs and generally chatting with fans during the evening. Even the merchandise was a good price with full CD's for £6 and £10 for T-shirts. It's nice to see bands that appreciate the fans for a change. We also met the guys from Hundred Reasons who were hanging out there as well.

Deftones next in a couple of weeks!!
Old 15-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Self Portrait

Quote:
Originally posted by Del Gland
I see that Royksopp are on with Yo La Tengo at Somerset House. sounds like a good night out!
Different nights. Royksopp are playing with Sparklehorse I think - only know the latter, but I'm sure it will be a fun night. Goldfrapp are also playing, can't remember who the support is though. All within the same week.

I now have M Ward confirmed for next Saturday night at the Shoreditch Arts Centre. Do I have to get a better haircut before they'll let me in?
Old 15-05-2003, 06:08 PM

Coulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineCoulsdon Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Any of you 'ageing rockers' going to see Hawkwind at the
London Astoria (Charing Cross Rd) on sunday May 25th?
Supported by Doctor and the Medics,
Last time they played here, they were joined on stage by Lemmy, and other previous band members. Usually an excellent gig, musically and visually,