Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 15-05-2003, 11:05 PM

Skin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Riccardo
Myself and young Skin Up are going to go to the Bluetones gig at the Concorde on the 21st if anyone is up for it PM me or the young chap.
Tickets arrived today C_block_lad, is anyone else going to this gig?
Old 16-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by g23
I now have M Ward confirmed for next Saturday night at the Shoreditch Arts Centre. Do I have to get a better haircut before they'll let me in?
He's coming over here to do some press next week, the same day Yo La Tengo and the Go Betweens play; I'm rasther looking forward to meeting him, I must say. How was Cat Power? Did she blub?
Old 16-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Vive La Revolution

Shoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by g23

I now have M Ward confirmed for next Saturday night at the Shoreditch Arts Centre. Do I have to get a better haircut before they'll let me in? [/B]
Who are M Ward ? I've not been to the Shoreditch Arts Centre, but have seen they put the odd gig on there. I've been to Spitz a few times which is quite a cool venue.

Do you mind me asking what you and Aquila do ?

www.bensheroestrust.org

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case...
Old 16-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Shoreditch CPFC
Who are M Ward ? I've not been to the Shoreditch Arts Centre, but have seen they put the odd gig on there. I've been to Spitz a few times which is quite a cool venue.

Do you mind me asking what you and Aquila do ?
M ward is a fellow who to my certain knowledge has made one excellent (amongst my very favourites this year) record.... which you'll like if you like Sparklehorse or the Silver Jews or things along those lines.

G23 is a wit, a sybarite and an oddball and I rear children and cats, watch football and contibute here perhaps a little too much - when we're both in the same place at the same time (far too infrequently) we drink or eat. I don't think g23 has any paid interest in the music business but I do; I put a lot of these records I talk about, out, in Spain.
Old 16-05-2003, 09:27 AM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Cat Power was enchanting, mad, eccentric and fun. There were only two songs (to my recollection) that she didn't finish and one where she forgot the words. She muttered "Don't go mad" a lot, sang beautifully and tried to have one-on-one conversations with friends in the audience but wasn't sure where they were standing. She was also very cheeky in staying on far too long, attracting the ire of a stage manager which only strengthened her resolve to play another tune because she was "having such fun". She ended up speeding up the chords in the last song for comedy effect, glancing at said stage manager and running off, squesaling "I'm in trouble". Marvellous. Will be seeing her again in the chapel in June
Old 16-05-2003, 11:01 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Evan Dando - Shepherd's Bush

A rock god, who didn't disappoint.
Old 16-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Vive La Revolution

Shoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShoreditch CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
M ward is a fellow who to my certain knowledge has made one excellent (amongst my very favourites this year) record.... which you'll like if you like Sparklehorse or the Silver Jews or things along those lines.

G23 is a wit, a sybarite and an oddball and I rear children and cats, watch football and contibute here perhaps a little too much - when we're both in the same place at the same time (far too infrequently) we drink or eat. I don't think g23 has any paid interest in the music business but I do; I put a lot of these records I talk about, out, in Spain.
I'm in the interested, but would like to get into the industry category. I may be setting up a small label to help get a friends album out though. If I manage it, I'll put a post on here about it.

I'll check out M Ward. Cheers.

www.bensheroestrust.org

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case...
Old 16-05-2003, 12:13 PM
www.b00mb0x.org

Del Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Skin Up
Tickets arrived today C_block_lad, is anyone else going to this gig?
I often get down to the Concorde and would be there for this one. However, as it's my daughter's 18th, I will have to play the "family guy" (probably the talking dog!)

Have a good 'un
Old 16-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
g23 is suitably flattered, but would make a single correction, were he able. Remembering that Sybarita was a locale noted principally for the curvaceous effeminacy of its residents, in this case 'epicurean' might be preferred. He lives with an orang-utan in Balham, watches way too much cinema, and would very much like to meet El Aguila's cats. On his gravestone it will say: 'Cats and monkeys, monkeys and cats: all of human life is there. Henry James.'

El Aguila is a fine example of contemporary devised art who, when not on-line, is otherwise entitled 'Louche (in plum trousers)'.

Sunny Fan is the writer of an extraordinarily accurate Cat Power monograph. His other works are available widely, and include the tone poem I try not to worry too much about it, the travelogue Oops I missed my flight - another pina colada please, and the semi-autobiographical volume Knockando: one man's whiskey-fuelled descent into punmania.

I had that haircut by the way. I look like a twonk. Again.
Old 16-05-2003, 10:21 PM

Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
I've gone cold turkey on gigging since Gomez in December, but I hope to enclose a Radiohead review after this coming Thursday
Old 18-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I might join Riccardo and Skin Up for the Bluetones at Brighton Concorde 2 on Wednesday if it's raining and if there are tickets left on the door. I'm supposed to be playing cricket, but the forecast ain't great.
Old 18-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Middle class left.

I told you g23 was a wit, didn't I? Even if he does have the curves in the wrong places.
Last night I saw Smog, which was good, and Bill Callahan is another witty man, but I think I prefer the records. Matt Elliott, aka Third Eye Foundation, cancelled on account of family problems, which disappointed me greatly.
Followers of my plum trousers (in a louche diagonal corduroy) will be disappointed to hear that they are currently resting - they split when I played football with my nieces recently. Oh, how we laughed.
Old 18-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Top Banana

BUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBUNGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Anyone know what Proud Mary are upto nowadays? I saw them support Toploader at Brixton Academy a couple of years ago and they were excellent but haven't heard anything about them since.

Last edited by BUNGLE; 18-05-2003 at 11:45 PM.
Old 21-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Orange Fleecer

SKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is here
Anyone going to the Brixton Academy for the Dandy Warhols this Friday? I am sacrifing most of the fans forum for it so it better be good......

Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily - life is but a dream!
Old 23-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I went to see the Bluetones at the Astoria last night, finishing their current tour. It was a top gig, and they were on great form. They featured the new album heavily (performing all tracks except 'Code Blue') and their B-side cover of the Ramones' 'Beat on the Brat'. As so often the way when a band performs material that many in the crowd haven't yet heard, the reaction was a bit more muted than normal, but for those of us who've been listening to Luxembourg twice a day since it came out ( ) , it was worthy of some big cheers.

They also performed some old favourites, which remind us that the Bluetones are amongst the very best (though sadly under-rated) of all the Britpop bands - 'Are You Blue or Are You Blind?', 'Bluetonic', 'Cut Some Rug', 'Putting Out Fires', 'Soloman Bites the Worm', 'If...', 'Sleazy Bed Track', 'Keep the Home Fires Burning', 'Blood Bubble' - consistently producing intelligent lyrics with superb, catchy tunes.

The support act (Amber something or other) weren't much cop in my opinion, but others of my group liked them. (Apparently they had a song played on Radio 1 the other night, so maybe we'll hear more of them.) Anyway, this is rarely important, and it couldn't take anything away from another great perfomance from the boys from west London. Mark Morriss hinted they'll be touring again this year, so my advice is to buy Luxembourg, play it non-stop, and get down to see them next time.

Old 23-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Something About Airplanes

Batsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravityBatsta has found the source of gravity
Quote:
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
I went to see the Bluetones at the Astoria last night, finishing their current tour. It was a top gig, and they were on great form. They featured the new album heavily (performing all tracks except 'Code Blue') and their B-side cover of the Ramones' 'Beat on the Brat'. As so often the way when a band performs material that many in the crowd haven't yet heard, the reaction was a bit more muted than normal, but for those of us who've been listening to Luxembourg twice a day since it came out ( ) , it was worthy of some big cheers.

They also performed some old favourites, which remind us that the Bluetones are amongst the very best (though sadly under-rated) of all the Britpop bands - 'Are You Blue or Are You Blind?', 'Bluetonic', 'Cut Some Rug', 'Putting Out Fires', 'Soloman Bites the Worm', 'If...', 'Sleazy Bed Track', 'Keep the Home Fires Burning', 'Blood Bubble' - consistently producing intelligent lyrics with superb, catchy tunes.

Saw them at the ConcordeII on Wednesday. They were bloody brilliant. Still waiting delivery of Luxembourg, can't wait.
Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 AM

Clapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietClapham Grand came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Went to see Vivien Green at the Jazz Cafe last night. excellent stuff, for a small girl she had an amazing voice, and the songs were all strong - aprticualely Emotional Rollercoaster. She is on Later with Jools this weekend
Old 23-05-2003, 11:11 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
More from the middle-aged MOR music fan contributor to this thread (I'll be damned if you young bucks are allowed to monopolise the live music scene !). A quote from 24th April, as I came down from the high of the previous night's McCartney concert:-

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard
P.P.S. Oryol, how difficult would it be to get a ticket for the Red Square concert ? In an over-excited (and somewhat pished) state last night, I floated the idea with the wife of popping out there to see what I'm sure will be an awesome evening.
Thanks to some immense kindness from Oryol in organising everything (and my wife for deciding not to go, thus making the idea affordable) I'm off to Moscow tomorrow morning for the evening's Red Square concert.

And to bite the hand etc. - just to destroy Oryol's reputation as a man with discerning music tastes, he is coming along too (and is kindly sorting out the drinking venues). I love this BBS.

Altogether now:-

"Flew in from Miami Beach B.O.A.C.
Didn't get to bed last night
On the way the paper bag was in my knee
Man, I had a dreadful flight ..."
Old 23-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Very impressive. I wonder if you could find out while you're there, why Red Square is still called Red Square. Other places have had their names changed since the end of the Soviet Union. On the other hand, maybe the name Red Square has nothing to do with October 1917. Hope it's a clear sky for you - the moon looming over the square is something to behold.
Old 23-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
On the other hand, maybe the name Red Square has nothing to do with October 1917.
It doesn't - it was known as that before November 1917.

(Yes, I know about the calendars. How come you revolutionaries use the imperial date?)