Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 14-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburns7 View Post
You can watch the first ww blackadder on the iPlayer as well as being very funny ,it also covers the absolute futility and mindless action of the whole war
Oh yes. That final scene.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 14-11-2018, 05:52 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileysmith View Post
Oh yes. That final scene.

I think that is one of my all time saddest ending to a "comedy" no matter how many times you watch it you understand the loss and the futility of that war.
Old 14-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
I think that is one of my all time saddest ending to a "comedy" no matter how many times you watch it you understand the loss and the futility of that war.
Yup. Really brings it home.
Old 14-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Noot! Noot!

FORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipungu View Post
Is that a picture of the Bengal famine?
They do a nice chicken bhuna i hear.
Old 14-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yup. Really brings it home.
I have this old book called "A King's story" and if you ever want to become an anti monarchist especially when Edward said in the book he was close to the war as his chauffeur died....He also sent a letter to the King about his officers living in deplorable conditions,they had to put up with living in cottages.
Old 14-11-2018, 06:21 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
This reminded me of the Blackadder quote "the prerequisite for any battle was that the enemy should under no circumstances carry guns".
Quite.

America in recent history has been gung-ho about using its military force, because it’s so confident that it will be superior.

Not quite so keen, or concerned about standing by its principles, when it risks coming up against an equally powerful foe.

Watching the Vietnam documentary series brought this home. The Americans couldn’t believe how resilient and capable the Viet Con were.
Old 14-11-2018, 06:51 PM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Quite.

America in recent history has been gung-ho about using its military force, because it’s so confident that it will be superior.

Not quite so keen, or concerned about standing by its principles, when it risks coming up against an equally powerful foe.

Watching the Vietnam documentary series brought this home. The Americans couldn’t believe how resilient and capable the Viet Con were.
It's no secret amongst other countries military that the yanks are not as superior as they strangely believe . They have great tech, are very well equipped, and huge numbers of personell. But they are pretty ill disciplined, from top to bottom, and not too clever . Great when they are winning , a liability when they arent . Thats when you witness the gung go fire at anything aspect .

I'm not perfect i'm Palace, which is like perfect... plus awesome !
Old 14-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
I also recommend the recent Antiques Roadshow. They asked people to tell them about objects and their stories relating to WW1. Some moving stories, and so interesting to see original documents, including a radio operator’s copy of the ceasefire message sent on 10.40 11/11/1918.

The show isn’t about valuations this time, as none were given. It was v much about the stories behind family heirlooms.
Old 15-11-2018, 08:24 AM
I believe in Sørloth

Raggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltic eagle View Post
I honestly don't get your attitude. You seem to have decided that the 4 million Germans that died are basically guilty of the attrocities caused by a few tyrant leaders.
You should read this by German researchers and published in Spiegel online. Its not for the faint hearted though.

Old 15-11-2018, 12:40 PM

Littlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for youLittlecaesar is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
You should read this by German researchers and published in Spiegel online. Its not for the faint hearted though.

Strong stuff. I do remember a couple of the World at War episodes that focused on the off the battle field stuff, especially the Russians as they marched through to Berlin, hard stuff to read/hear about especially as a young teenager at the time.
Old 15-11-2018, 01:30 PM
I believe in Sørloth

Raggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecaesar View Post
Strong stuff. I do remember a couple of the World at War episodes that focused on the off the battle field stuff, especially the Russians as they marched through to Berlin, hard stuff to read/hear about especially as a young teenager at the time.
Russian atrocities in the march to WW2 Berlin are well documented and I suspect got a good airing in the Cold War as propaganda. It's fair to say that the Russians had received a lot of provocation by the end of the war and saw it as payback. Not that it ever makes atrocities forgivable in any way.

I suspect an army in wartime is a good place for a psychopath to be, whatever their nationality. Although certain armed forces seem to have far more blood on their hands than others. Thankfully the British armed forces came out of WW1 and WW2 with relatively untarnished reputations.

It is a difficult subject. With the Great War it has become fashionable to see it as a futile squabble between competing Royal families in which ordinary people were the victims - which is probably a fair and true summary to a large extent. However, there is another side to this. Though exaggerated for propaganda, German atrocities in the 1914 invasion of Belgium were very real. It is easy to forget that many of our ancestors in the trenches believed they were defending civilisation against a barbaric and evil enemy, and they weren't entirely wrong...
Old 15-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy View Post

That is some very grim reading.
Old 15-11-2018, 04:13 PM

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think the atrocities of any powerful army,I am afraid is in the human capability,I've read when the Russians were advancing on Berlin,women were being raped in maternity wards ,and also in the 90s Balkan conflict a sports hall was turned into a rape factory
Now that's pretty fu££ed up ,but certain people can't help themselves
Old 15-11-2018, 04:41 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
For those that have not seen it

The great war documentary series like the world at war which follows ww2 is well worth a watch

SaulAlinsky
Old 15-11-2018, 04:52 PM

CommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The BBC doc produced by Peter Jackson is amazing and harrowing.
Old 15-11-2018, 04:55 PM

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
For those that have not seen it

The great war documentary series like the world at war which follows ww2 is well worth a watch
Thanks wetts I will watch that
Old 16-11-2018, 04:58 PM

IPlayer Dan cruikshank ,monuments of remembrance
I like Mr cruikshank worth a watch