Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 15-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Oldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Scottish west coast and Isles

Off to the west coast of Scotland and Islands. Can any of the well travelled BBS recommend any must see, must go places? Much appreciated.
Old 15-03-2018, 05:20 PM

glenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Catch a Caledonian ferry over to Islay for the day and take in three or four whiskey distilleries. Bus system might be a bit ropey this time of year but by the end of the day you'll not care.
Old 15-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Meh. You only need to see one distillery and you should make it the Bowmore one. Superlative whusky in a stunning setting. Highly recommended.

I agree. Islay is a must.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 15-03-2018, 08:22 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
I went in January and stayed at Kinlochewe, around the Torridon area and Beinn Eighe. If you're into driving then you have to do the Bealach na Ba pass into Applecross. It is simply jaw-dropping scenery. The whole of the West Coast road is great, its all part of the North Coast 500. I did Kinlochewe to Ullapool - great scenery. Loch Maree is good too. If you are a walker then the Torridon range has loads for all abilities.

One regret is not going to Skye, but thats for next time. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 15-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
My Dad was from Islay and he was a wonderful bloke.

I remember visiting as a youngster and my family lived in a croft that was heated by peat and lit by oil. I’ve got a photo of my old man as a nipper, it was apparently taken by some English bloke who offered to give a photo to anoyone who agreed to be photographed. It’s a cracking picture, iirc it has the family cow, maybe a sheep and a few chickens in it. The backdrop is the paps of Jura and he’s barefoot and wearing a clearly hand knitted cardigan.
Old 15-03-2018, 08:35 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is here
Kerrera.

A tiny island just off the coast of Oban. Take the platform ferry from Gallanach and explore a genuinely beautiful and relatively unknown island. There's only 40 odd people living on the island and no roads. Martin & Adene at The Tea Garden's will make you feel very welcome (though it probably won't be open until Good Friday through September!) although Duncan the Ferryman is a bit prickly. Check out the Gylen Castle ruins and 4 square miles of beautiful scenery... Gill the post-woman has a little chalet to let and I think there's an airbnb or two - no shops or pubs mind!

Nearly 7 million views!!!

WOW!

Last edited by eddieskyclad; 15-03-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 15-03-2018, 08:41 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
My Dad was from Islay and he was a wonderful bloke.

I remember visiting as a youngster and my family lived in a croft that was heated by peat and lit by oil. Iíve got a photo of my old man as a nipper, it was apparently taken by some English bloke who offered to give a photo to anoyone who agreed to be photographed. Itís a cracking picture, iirc it has the family cow, maybe a sheep and a few chickens in it. The backdrop is the paps of Jura and heís barefoot and wearing a clearly hand knitted cardigan.
The first hipster.
Old 15-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
The first hipster.

Pretty sure hipsters have enough money to chose to dress like a twat.

Not quite the same as not being able to afford such luxuries as shoes or warm clothing though, is it?
Old 15-03-2018, 08:49 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post

Pretty sure hipsters have enough money to chose to dress like a twat.

Not quite the same as not being able to afford such luxuries as shoes or warm clothing though, is it?
I have a few hand knitted sweaters myself - knitted by the wife. Icelandic style.

This thread has wetted my appetite for a holiday up there somewhere.
Old 15-03-2018, 08:58 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
I have a few hand knitted sweaters myself - knitted by the wife. Icelandic style.

This thread has wetted my appetite for a holiday up there somewhere.
I'd like to go back every year in January if the holiday ties up and the authorities at home approve. 7 odd hours of daylight and the risk of getting snowed in but completely empty roads to chuck a car around. Talking to the locals they all make summer sound like a nightmare with camper vans, cars, bikes crowding out the roads. Deffo pencilled in next year already.

Old 15-03-2018, 09:01 PM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
Originally Posted by the drexciyan View Post
I'd like to go back every year in January if the holiday ties up and the authorities at home approve. 7 odd hours of daylight and the risk of getting snowed in but completely empty roads to chuck a car around. Talking to the locals they all make summer sound like a nightmare with camper vans, cars, bikes crowding out the roads. Deffo pencilled in next year already.
Come to Bornholm
Old 15-03-2018, 09:10 PM
techno sapiens

Quote:
Come to Bornholm
I'm sure the speed cops will have a bastard blue VW van parked somewhere there.

Old 15-03-2018, 09:13 PM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
Originally Posted by the drexciyan View Post
I'm sure the speed cops will have a bastard blue VW van parked somewhere there.
We know where they are at all times. Those ***** must collect the least amount of fines in the whole country. We have a kind of neighbouhood watch scheme going on on FB.
Old 15-03-2018, 09:54 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
I'M GOING ON HOLID... oh, you're going to Scotland.
Old 15-03-2018, 09:56 PM

JackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Iona
Old 15-03-2018, 10:02 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Beautiful part of the world, did a trip up that way about six years ago. Stayed in B&Bs, two nights each in Oban and Portree (Isle of Skye) and explored from there. We were there in April, there weren't too many other tourists around and the scenery was spectacular, plenty of waterfalls as the snow was melting.

Last edited by Smoz; 15-03-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:04 PM

Oldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldtown Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks everyone, will gen up.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Semi retired idiot

penguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It depends what you like....

Skye is worth a visit, but there is not much North of Portree.

If you like stately homes, go to the Isle of Bute and visit Mountstuart House, home of the Earl of Bute, also known as Johnny Dumfries, the F1 driver.

Kerrera is a good shout, but if you are in the Oban area, also drive to Seil Island {just down the coast)

Tobermory on Mull is a nice little town, and it if you are on the island it is worth driving across to Fionnphort and doing the boat trips to Iona and Staffa.

Further north the area around Gairloch is very scenic. with the Applecross mountains close by and a wonderful coastal drive up towatds Ullapool. Stop at Inverewe Gardens on the way.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:36 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle View Post
Thanks everyone, will gen up.
Enjoy your trip. I've not been but I've heard that the scenery is stunning.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Went to Oban for a family “summer holiday” when I was about 14.

It pissed down for two weeks.

We were camping.

Without doubt the shittest holiday I’ve ever been on.