Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 23-05-2001, 01:16 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Good bands that nearly made it.

Back in the early to mid eighties there were a few bands doing the circuits of South London who should have gone on to greater thingts, maybe, they did but I don't know it.

One in particular that we used to go and see regularly was Circus, Circus, Circus, anyone else hear of them or know what happened to them?

There used to be some sort of connection with the Forest Hillbillies and they used to do a great version of the Thunderbirds theme.
Old 23-05-2001, 01:21 PM
Disco baby sexy baby HOTT

jonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandjonesy is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expand
Move to India ( comments MC??)
Old 23-05-2001, 02:52 PM

Matty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
There are several I used to see a lot that never made it, bands that were great live in small venues, almost cult status, but for various reasons (lack of ambition, unwillingness to take the risks, the commercial material that was released was never representative of how good they really were). Compare them with the ones that were crap but had some visibility supporting almost every badn of the early 80s I ever saw (the Headboys, A Flock of Seagulls). For example:

Nine Below Zero. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. early 80s mod band playing blues, R&B (as it's supposed to be - see other thread), some Motown. Fantastic harmonica player. Band when downhill when he left, but they're still going. Commercial albums were poor, singles sounded like heavy Chas & Dave. Their legacy is their first album Live at the Marquee.

The Never Never Band. Regulars on the circuit around the Friars at Aylesbury (fantastic live venue. Genesis played regularly early 70s) and Oxford late 70s early 80s. One album (cassette only no commercial deal. Poor studio version of great live act). Sound hard to describe but a bit like Magazine. Most of the band had other jobs and never wanted the big time. Band leader was guitarist from Druid (obscure mid 70s band album was Fluid Druid - like weird hippyish early Genesis - but one fantastic track - Painters Clouds - that Never Never also did)
Old 23-05-2001, 02:59 PM

Matty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatty : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Sorry Never Never Band weren't south London (9 Below were/are). So were Splodgenessabounds
Old 23-05-2001, 03:12 PM
SwimBikeRun!

Jacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJacko : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
When I lived in Beckenham I used to know one or two of Circusx3 quite well, but sadly have no idea of what happened to the band.

Any news of The Hinnies, Buddy Curtis and the Grasshoppers, Fast Freddie's Fingertips, or Totally Kitsch?? Thought not!
Old 23-05-2001, 03:54 PM

Dillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitter
the London SS, but then most of them went on to join other punk bands of the time.
Old 23-05-2001, 05:01 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
In the early to mid eighties I spent my time watching Charlie Brown cartoons and drawing on the walls with crayons.
Old 23-05-2001, 05:44 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
More recently, what happenned to Speedy? I saw them at T in the Park '97, bought their early singles, and thought they would make it big - but alas...
Old 24-05-2001, 01:22 AM
No Islands in This Desert

welshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My two favourite pub bands were The Drivers who were regulars at the Cartoon and whose singer Nick Van Eede went on to front the Cutting Crew and The 45's, a sort of poppy/moddy band whose singer/guitarist Phil Johnstone went on to play keyboards, write and produce Robert Plant's solo material and Chris Marra (bass) joined the FANTASTIC Danny Wilson.
Old 24-05-2001, 01:36 AM

Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten Gavin Axten
Quote:
Originally posted by Matty:
[B]).

Nine Below Zero. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. early 80s mod band playing blues, R&B (as it's supposed to be - see other thread), some Motown. Fantastic harmonica player. Band when downhill when he left, but they're still going. Commercial albums were poor, singles sounded like heavy Chas & Dave. Their legacy is their first album Live at the Marquee.
---------------------------------------------
Nine Below Zero were a brilliant band especially live, some of them also used to live up the road from me at the Peabody estate in Tulse Hill. Saw them live again last year and they still sound great. The harmonica player you mentioned recorded and played live with Oasis. Another good South London band that just seemed to vanish were Carter USM
Old 24-05-2001, 02:51 AM

Nork is playing for a contract
The best band EVER to come out of south London has to be the Godfathers. Camberwell boys I believe. They almost broke into the big time around 1987 with the album "birth school work death"... although they always seemed to be better live. Must've seen em 20 times during the 80's and early 90's. The world made a BIG mistake missing out on this lot.
Old 24-05-2001, 04:57 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The New Fast Automatic Daffodills, a sort of Joy Division/Happy Mondays crossover who were about during the 'Madchester' scene. Theirs was one of the best live gigs I've ever seen! They did two albums and promptly disappeared!
Old 24-05-2001, 01:14 PM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Some bands I used to follow but who never made it big included:

I Start Counting
Komputer
Nitzer Ebb
Our Daughters Wedding (1 hit in 1980 - Lawn Chairs - but never saw them live)
Old 24-05-2001, 01:19 PM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Nick van Ede was in the year above me at school. We used to go and watch him play acoustic guitar on a friday night down at the Royal Oak in Dormansland, long before Cutting Crew became one hit wonders over here. They were however very successful in the states and he once told one of my friends who he kept in touch with that he'd been at an awards ceremony with the Stones picking up a gong for one million airplays on US radio...a few royalties there methinks!

Anyone remember Gloria Mundi? A popular cult band on the London circuit late 70's? I never saw them but had a musical "project" going with their ex lead guitarist at the beginning of the eighties. He was a brilliant musician but a total waster...either boozed up or drugged up all the time. Looked like Keith Richard and finished every sentence with the word "man".

It's a s h i t business!

Old 24-05-2001, 01:23 PM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
"Our Daughters Wedding". Saw them at The Old Venue in Victoria and my sister had the single Lawn Chairs. They were pretty good I seem to remember. Naked Lunch anyone?
Old 24-05-2001, 01:24 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Nork:
The best band EVER to come out of south London has to be the Godfathers.

I remember them.
Old 24-05-2001, 02:12 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Jacko:

Fast Freddie's Fingertips,
Freddie is still going but rarely seen with the fingertips these days which is a great shame.

All together now...

Some girls are tall, some girls are small
Well I met one once, and she weren't a girl at all
Old 24-05-2001, 03:00 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Just thought of the Hampsters, More Mushrooms Vicar, Nicky Moore, Highway 61 and Blue Chicken.

All cracking bands
Old 24-05-2001, 03:51 PM

Dillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitterDillenger worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitter
just remembered the fantastic, but never quite made it, The Stairs.

they were a 60's style garage/psycho-delic band around in that period between Madchester and Brit-pop, but were infinetly better than the whiny-indie boy Blur, and the Manc trash Oasis.

They had an album out which was called The Stairs, and a few singles - Russian Spy and I, Squash Tomato Stomp and a few more i cant think of.

Lead singer was called Edgar Summertime and was a damn fine bassist too.
Old 24-05-2001, 05:04 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

jordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ:
Some bands I used to follow but who never made it big included:

I Start Counting
Komputer
Nitzer Ebb
Our Daughters Wedding (1 hit in 1980 - Lawn Chairs - but never saw them live)
Nitzer Ebb were the best band i ever saw live.
Shame they split up, love all their stuff up to the last album