Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 14-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
You also can't see the big screen replays in the Whitehorse, the away fans are more noticeable, the concourse is tiny and there are more kids about if you sometimes are prone to let your language slip
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 14-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Mr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
Well I suppose this lives and dies on the seats that become available. If I was able to move to a good seat with my group, i’d be pretty happy with this.
I know it will not be of much consolation to those being moved, but every season I try and move my two blocks of 2 seats to try and get a 4 together. Whilst I have found this impossible to date I have been surprised at the amount of good seats available in the Holmesdale stand in blocks of 1,2 or 3 in prime positions and bigger numbers together if you are willing to sit In the outer blocks. If you are just looking at getting a couple of sits together you may be pleasantly surprised. I hope you all find decent seats.
Old 14-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
I've never understood why anyone would wanna stand/sit behind the goal anyway.

I'm in my 49th year of going up The Palace and during all those long, hard terrible years I've obviously been in every stand in the ground but never once have I stood or sat behind the goal in The Holmesdale or The Whitehorse.

Having said that, I've never sat/stood behind the goal in The New/Old stand either.
Old 14-10-2018, 09:34 AM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
I've never understood why anyone would wanna stand/sit behind the goal anyway.

I'm in my 49th year of going up The Palace and during all those long, hard terrible years I've obviously been in every stand in the ground but never once have I stood or sat behind the goal in The Holmesdale or The Whitehorse.

Having said that, I've never sat/stood behind the goal in The New/Old stand either.
Some of my greatest memories are standing behind the Holmesdale goal watching 'Stonewall' making brilliant saves. Or berating the oppo goalie. Happy days.
Old 14-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD View Post
Some of my greatest memories are standing behind the Holmesdale goal watching 'Stonewall' making brilliant saves. Or berating the oppo goalie. Happy days.
Happy days indeed. I lost my love for The Holmesdale though when an ugly stand got built on it.
I got took there when I was 5 by my older brother. A few years later we ended up in The New Stand where I got shoved down the front with the other kids banging on the advert boards in time to Glad All Over.

Only ever went in The Old stand/Whitehorse either because we had to for some reason or because they became family enclosure bits when I started taking my boy.

Never minded The Whitehorse too much but I've never had any love for The Old Stand. No shouting and always freezing cold. Even in August.

The New Stand's my true love. It was where I stood as a kid when we beat Burnley 2 - nil.
Old 14-10-2018, 10:00 AM

Having said that, we stood in The Holmesdale during the '80's and that last game when it was about to be knocked down.
All of us went on the pitch and walked to the centre circle at the final whistle just to stand there and look at it for the very last time. Very upsetting.

It's funny how lumps of concrete can be so emotive.
Old 14-10-2018, 10:09 AM

When was the last game before it got knocked down? 93/94?
I'm sure a clever so and so will put me right.
Old 14-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD View Post
Yep. Our spot used to be leaning on the 2nd crush barrier back, directly behind the goal, just about level with the crossbar. My older and rowdier friends were one further back. The 'mob' those days were even further back. Getting rained and snowed on was a rite of passage.

Sadly, those days are long gone.

I think my point is, all-seater stadia have a lot to answer for.

Last edited by davech; 14-10-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 14-10-2018, 10:26 AM

aaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaaaaaaa came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Open letter to the HF

Dear HF,

You have been living in my head for about ten years now. I think it's about time you started paying rent.

Otherwise, I am going to start thinking about something else instead.

Yours sincerely,
The entire BBS
Old 14-10-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
Yep. Our spot used to be leaning on the 2nd crush barrier back, directly behind the goal, just about level with the crossbar. My older and rowdier friends were one further back. The 'mob' those days were even further back. Getting rained and snowed on was a rite of passage.

Sadly, those days are long gone.

I think my point is, all-seater stadia have a lot to answer for.
Since terracing has gone it's not the same is it, Dave?
The season we went back down to The Championship under Dowie I took me and the boy away to Cardiff when they played at Ninian Park. I'd been there before in my youth but they were much scarier times.
Anyway, we had the option of terracing or seating so I obviously chose terracing for us both to show him what it was like when I was his age. He would've been about 10 or 11 then.
Wish I hadn't bothered because I got in me ear 'ole after about 20 minutes was...'I wanna sit down' and 'me feet ache'...

And I always thought I was a whiney little tosser as a kid!
Old 14-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
Since terracing has gone it's not the same is it, Dave?
The season we went back down to The Championship under Dowie I took me and the boy away to Cardiff when they played at Ninian Park. I'd been there before in my youth but they were much scarier times.
Anyway, we had the option of terracing or seating so I obviously chose terracing for us both to show him what it was like when I was his age. He would've been about 10 or 11 then.
Wish I hadn't bothered because I got in me ear 'ole after about 20 minutes was...'I wanna sit down' and 'me feet ache'...

And I always thought I was a whiney little tosser as a kid!
And we lost due to a Kiraly f*ck up.

That wasn't a pleasant 5 hour drive home.