Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Hennessey

Wan Bissaka -- Kelly -- Tomkins -- PVA

Townsend -- Milivojević -- Macca -- Riedewald -- Sorloth

Benteke

The back four to stay narrow leaving the two wide players to get up and down more like wingbacks. The problem with this shape right now is that it really does rely upon Benteke holding up the ball long enough for the wide players and possibly Macca to get forward to help. If Benteke rolls over as easily as he did against Spurs back four then that won't happen very often.

The above is what I would plump for. I suspect Roy will stick to something similar but halfway between 433 and 442 that he has tried. So Sorloth will play in the halfway house role where he is encouraged to hang higher than Townsend who will be coming all the way back. That means Jairo and Macca have to manage between them shuffling across. Sorloth understandably struggled with that shape a little last week I thought not looking sure when he should be going forward or sticking. It requires some good decisions making and you can look stupid when you make the wrong one or someone else misses their role. Would be more comfortable in a 442 or a normal wide forward role I think. It does ask a lot of the midfielders staying on same wavelength or they will get Valencia free on the right side which won't be pretty.

It would be a shock but maybe Benteke will choose this match to return to form and boss them around a bit and finish clinically.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Now we know whoís fit etc..

Hennessey

WB Kelly Tomkins pva

Townsend luka reidewald MacArthur schlupp

Benteke

Subs
Calivieri
Souare
Jach
Rakip
Sorloth
Lee
Delaney
Old 03-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Garfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Any update on when Cabaye and Sakho might be back?
Old 03-03-2018, 04:57 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy View Post
Any update on when Cabaye and Sakho might be back?
No
Old 03-03-2018, 04:58 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Or ward
Old 03-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Vermontster

mrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is heremrgins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
He'll keep playing him because although he's way off form he still can play better than what we have left alive in the squad.
I disagree. I think a decent midfielder behind Sorloth at cf would be better than a weak Benteke and Sorloth out of position

Racism is man's gravest threat to men - the maximum of hatred from the minimum of reason.
Abraham J. Herschel, Jewish theologian and philosopher

be nice to me...I have considerable rep power!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:08 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
I disagree. I think a decent midfielder behind Sorloth at cf would be better than a weak Benteke and Sorloth out of position
Not sure how youíve come to that conclusion. Sorloth looks out his depth at the moment. He needs to come on from the bench donít thinj heís anywhere near ready to play lone role
Old 03-03-2018, 05:12 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Not sure how you can say Sorloth is out of his depth given he is playing on the left wing. Imagine Benteke playing out there - it would be embarrassing.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
Not sure how you can say Sorloth is out of his depth given he is playing on the left wing. Imagine Benteke playing out there - it would be embarrassing.
Sorloth has played out wide before. Benteke hasn’t. Not really comparable. I can’t choose a bloke that isn’t fully match fit, flopped in Holland, only 22 and looks a little lost when he has played to be the one to score us goals to keep us up despite Bentekes awful form.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post
Not sure how youíve come to that conclusion. Sorloth looks out his depth at the moment. He needs to come on from the bench donít thinj heís anywhere near ready to play lone role
I didn't think he looked out depth. I did think he was at times bemused by the halfway house role he was asked to fill which too often left him trying to be the outlet wide left up front half a second after he was defending deep at LB. i.e. because others didn't/couldn't fill in for him. But that was last week where no one looked 'right' TBH against top opposition.

Certainly wouldn't be writing ho, off as quickly as some seem to be
Old 03-03-2018, 06:05 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Either

------------Hennessey
AWB----Kelly----Tomkins----PVA
Townsend-McArthur-Luka-Schlupp
--------------Sorloth
-------------Benteke

or

--------------Hennessey
Bissaka---Kelly----Tomkins--PVA
----------------Luka
---------McArthur-Reidewald
Townsend--------------Schlupp
---------------Sorloth
Old 03-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Contents May Vary

Robson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is hereRobson Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
Either

-

or

--------------Hennessey
Bissaka---Kelly----Tomkins--PVA
----------------Luka
---------McArthur-Reidewald
Townsend--------------Schlupp
---------------Sorloth
This I can get on board with.
"Not only did the Palace fans sing and chant for the entire 90 minutes, but they stayed behind after the final whistle in order to express their gratitude to players and manager for their efforts. If this is a set of supporters headed for relegation, that is to the Championship's gain and the true detriment of the Premier League, where sterile atmospheres have become worryingly commonplace." - Football365
Old 03-03-2018, 06:21 PM

teesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietteesdale99 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Hennessey

Wan Bissaka -- Kelly -- Tomkins -- PVA

Townsend -- Milivojević -- Macca -- Riedewald -- Sorloth

Benteke

The back four to stay narrow leaving the two wide players to get up and down more like wingbacks. The problem with this shape right now is that it really does rely upon Benteke holding up the ball long enough for the wide players and possibly Macca to get forward to help. If Benteke rolls over as easily as he did against Spurs back four then that won't happen very often.

The above is what I would plump for. I suspect Roy will stick to something similar but halfway between 433 and 442 that he has tried. So Sorloth will play in the halfway house role where he is encouraged to hang higher than Townsend who will be coming all the way back. That means Jairo and Macca have to manage between them shuffling across. Sorloth understandably struggled with that shape a little last week I thought not looking sure when he should be going forward or sticking. It requires some good decisions making and you can look stupid when you make the wrong one or someone else misses their role. Would be more comfortable in a 442 or a normal wide forward role I think. It does ask a lot of the midfielders staying on same wavelength or they will get Valencia free on the right side which won't be pretty.

It would be a shock but maybe Benteke will choose this match to return to form and boss them around a bit and finish clinically.
I think you are right in terms of our shape. Then again we still have so few options.

It’s difficult to envisage anything other than a backs to the wall defensive performance as per spurs. It’s the kind of game when you need a horrible goal from a set piece, but we just didn’t seem to score from corners or direct from free kicks. Without wilf, rlc and cabaye we have so little craft. No Mavericks in this team! We have no pace on the break as we did when he had zaha and bolasie and frankly it’s hard to see where a goal will come from.

Interesting that Dom Fifields team in the Guardian has sorloth up front and schlup on the left. This at least freshens things up and gives us some pace out wide. Benteke deserves a go on the bench and might be the kick up the backside he needs, I could see him scoring as a sub. That’s about the only change I can conceive of unless he decides not to put wan bissaka in the firing line and plays a left back on the wrong side.

We had the run of the green for 88 mins v spurs, not so sure we will on Monday.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I didn't think he looked out depth. I did think he was at times bemused by the halfway house role he was asked to fill which too often left him trying to be the outlet wide left up front half a second after he was defending deep at LB. i.e. because others didn't/couldn't fill in for him. But that was last week where no one looked 'right' TBH against top opposition.

Certainly wouldn't be writing ho, off as quickly as some seem to be
Not writing him off. Just not the answer right now. Heís an option off the bench imo
Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 PM

rhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Benteke would have been dropped months ago if we had options .He doesnt even try he knows he will be playing
Old 03-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Banned by Moderators

andreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineandreworam69 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
If it was down to me, I would drop benteke and play sorloth I would prefer a player that is not match fit too a lazy journeyman who doesn’t deserve his wages
Old 03-03-2018, 06:36 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post
Sorloth has played out wide before. Benteke hasnít. Not really comparable. I canít choose a bloke that isnít fully match fit, flopped in Holland, only 22 and looks a little lost when he has played to be the one to score us goals to keep us up despite Bentekes awful form.
But yet you would rather play a striker in benteke whose form has completely deserted him and he adds nothing to team at the moment? That makes little sense. He looks a very poor striker at the moment.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:41 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
But yet you would rather play a striker in benteke whose form has completely deserted him and he adds nothing to team at the moment? That makes little sense. He looks a very poor striker at the moment.
Tbh, this is the perfect game to drop Benteke. Nobody expects us to win, or Sorloth to score, but if Benteke's sat on the bench with Wickham also breathing down his neck (horrible image), it might be the kick up the arse he needs to get his season going. All the while Sorloth could play a blinder. Who knows?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:41 PM

exiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Feel Sorloth hasn't the pace or energy required to play out left at this level . I would play him instead of Benteke with Schlupp on left .
Old 03-03-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Adds nothing to the team is bullshit. Despite his horrendous form infront if goal he has the ability to do it.. proven. Sorloth hasn’t and is t and is a punt. Not a time for punts. Sorloth will win less and get the same zero service Benteke will get without wilf