Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 21-11-2017, 08:16 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmoz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I also had a Pentax ME-Super, used it until I went over to digital about fifteen years ago. Excellent camera, I haven't found one that I have enjoyed using as much since.
Old 21-11-2017, 08:21 PM

hatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is herehatter8142 Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 21-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Around the Fur

Seba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betraySeba is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I'm still using the stock 50mm. Solid bit of kit.
Shot some Ireland rugby portraits on a 50mm 1.4 today. Nice little lens, but for me and the portraits it's just a little too wide. The 85mm I think works better. Less distortion.
Old 21-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Hello Everyone

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba View Post
Make sure it has an auto mode. All the other modes are useless.
Noooooo.

It's manual that's important, if you want to know how to use a camera you have to go manual and use the light meter. Without it you will never learn about depth of field, sensitivity (ISO), time. Once you understand that the other semi auto features make sense, aperture control, speed control.

Courses can be very cheap from Wowcher or Groupon (20ish), they are lost leaders really. It will explain all aspects. I think a couple of companies do them free online but you have to put up with adverts.

Go for a DSLR, a couple of years off the latest it will easily fit your budget. It can become endless with lenses, flashes, tripods etc. Although with your budget you're not far off a new one.

There's also Software, PS Elements is the way to go for a hobbyist but there are cheaper.

I see a couple of guys mentioning film cameras, of course given the price of film and the long uncertain turn around time it forced you to understand what you where doing rather than just click away.
Old 22-11-2017, 12:23 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
I see a couple of guys mentioning film cameras, of course given the price of film and the long uncertain turn around time it forced you to understand what you where doing rather than just click away.
Not so uncertain if you smash up your house a bit and build a darkroom
Old 22-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
Noooooo.

It's manual that's important, if you want to know how to use a camera you have to go manual and use the light meter. Without it you will never learn about depth of field, sensitivity (ISO), time. Once you understand that the other semi auto features make sense, aperture control, speed control...
There is a long running photography thread here (which sadly hasn't seen much action over the last year or so), to which Seba used to contribute. He was at college at the time - on a photography course.

I believe he now works in the photographic industry. Quite why he would make such a ridiculous post, I have no idea.

" Heh, Norm! How's life treating you?"

"Like I just ran over his dog."
Old 22-11-2017, 12:30 AM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Not so uncertain if you smash up your house a bit and build a darkroom
Steady on, Rolf.
Old 22-11-2017, 12:35 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Steady on, Rolf.
Old 22-11-2017, 12:53 AM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
...I see a couple of guys mentioning film cameras, of course given the price of film and the long uncertain turn around time it forced you to understand what you where doing rather than just click away.
In a slightly bizarre way, for me, the digital revolution was a bit of a nightmare.

I eventually sold my Pentax and bought a Canon AE1 (which was a gorgeous camera) and then went on to an all black A1. Canon's flagship back then was the EOS-1 and although I could never justify owning a professional camera, I always thought, if ever the bank account gets fat enough...

So, come the glorious day (having spent probably six months deliberating over it), I made the decision. Next day, Canon announced a whole new digital range with the EOS-1Ds at the top (It probably wasn't the next day, but you get the picture...).

It took a bit more saving...

Old 22-11-2017, 12:58 AM
Eagle in the Borders

For reference purposes, I haven't mentioned wavering towards to the Nikon dark side. If I close my eyes, calm my breathing and think restful thoughts, it may never have ever happened.

Last edited by Slimbloke'H'; 22-11-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 22-11-2017, 07:58 AM

Eaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' View Post
Not when he's writing nonsense like that he's not. A completely stupid thing to post.
I agree you need to learn the basics before you buy an expensive camera. You could buy a 500 camera and the photos will be terrible if you don't know how to use it.
Old 22-11-2017, 01:53 PM

strawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I know this is about new ones - I guess with all the modern attributes - but my Pentax ME Super has served me fantastically since the eighties. Been all over the world with it, tough as old boots, and has never let me down. Proper camera.

Fab camera.
I traded mine in for a small auto-focus jobbie with a big zoom but often wish I hadn't.
Old 22-11-2017, 01:57 PM

strawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstrawberry mivi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My daughter went down the Canon route and seems pleased with her choice.
All I can tell you is the the fewer the number of digits in the name - the better the camera.
eg a Canon 7 is better than the Canon 70.
Old 22-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Orange Fleecer

SKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I know this is about new ones - I guess with all the modern attributes - but my Pentax ME Super has served me fantastically since the eighties. Been all over the world with it, tough as old boots, and has never let me down. Proper camera.

A thing of beauty!

Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily - life is but a dream!
Old 22-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Orange Fleecer

SKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumie Allan View Post
That's strange, I thought it was a no no for someone interested in learning photography to use the auto setting. Surely the whole idea is to experiment.

EDIT H beat me to it while I was typing
Auto setting on a DSLR is great for learning framing/composition - especially if you're not used to a viewfinder. Besides lots of people want the DSLR quality without the hassle. (I write a lot for Canon!)

Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily - life is but a dream!
Old 22-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Some great views on here people.

Thanks