Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 24-02-2018, 09:59 AM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Mull of Kintyre
Frog Chorus
Wonderful Christmas Time

Yeah, great.
Almost as "good" as Lennon's stuff on the the Sometime in NYC album
Old 24-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagle2 View Post
Almost as "good" as Lennon's stuff on the the Sometime in NYC album
Ah but Lennon rarely did this dross, McTwatney made a career out of it.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 24-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
Lennon and McCartney made mistakes like any other young blokes would do faced with unprecedented levels of fame and adulation. People on here trying to paint them as thoroughly nasty people are just showing themselves to be somewhat bitter and twisted. And probably jealous. IMHO.
Of what?

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 24-02-2018, 01:10 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
Lennon and McCartney made mistakes like any other young blokes would do faced with unprecedented levels of fame and adulation. People on here trying to paint them as thoroughly nasty people are just showing themselves to be somewhat bitter and twisted. And probably jealous. IMHO.
What a load of bollocks. You can think somoeone is amazingly talented (big fan of John and the Beatles are in my top 5 favorite bands,) but still acknowledge he’s a nasty person, because you like them for their music. That’s it. I have similar feelings about one of my favorite actors, Bill Murray.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 24-02-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 24-02-2018, 07:31 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Well I’m a Beatle obsessive and sad person that I am, have lost count of the amount of books I’ve read about them over the years. Goes without saying I’ve got everything they’ve ever recorded - demos included - and pretty much all their solo stuff too.

For me as songwriters, they can’t be touched. John and Paul were quite clearly head and shoulders above George at writing, but in saying that, George stole the show on their final album with ‘Something’ and ‘Here comes the sun’.

The chemistry between the musicians was what made them so exceptional. Ringo may not be the greatest drummer in the world - although he’s a lot better than what many give him credit for - he was perfect for the Beatles. He played to each song’s needs, without ever going over the top.

As solo artists: John i think probably had the best songs. Macca has been like a dirty secret for me. I fully accept in the solo years without John to keep his ‘cheese’ grounded, he’s written a host of bloody awful stuff, but within his many albums are still songs that are just superb. His early 70’s albums: McCartney, Ram and Red Rose Speedway have some real classics and Band on the Run album ain’t too shabby either. Can I just step into some heinous territory and defend the Frog Chorus...it was a song written for a Rupert Bear thing he was working on and is quite clearly a children’s song meant for children. I have to say as a humble songwriter myself - in that context it’s actually not bad at all.

I will not however be defending ‘Ebony and Ivory’ - no excuse for that!

Never really got on with George’s solo stuff although ‘All things must pass’ has some lovely moments.

As people? Well I can only go off the many first hand accounts and interviews I’ve read, listened to and seen. To have created the kind of career and fame they did they can’t have been angels. John himself said they had to be the biggest bastards in the world to get where they did. But in their defence, the music they created has been such a positive force and inspiration throughout the world then and now, that you kind of forgive them the negative sides.

John was quite clearly one hell of a character. A very, very funny man as well as a great artist, but of course he wasn’t perfect. Cynthia said he only hit her the once despite this ‘wife beating’ tag that seems to crop up. The turmoil of his upbringing created quite a wounded animal and could be very cruel to people around him, but also amazingly kind and generous too. He was a whirling dirvish of a human being. But his treatement of Julian was unacceptable. The only kind thing I can say is that he was very young when Julian was born and in the middle of The Beatles worldwide fame explosion. It can’t have been easy to be a dad amid that madness. He did try and make amends in later life when in New York but still it must be hard for Julian to hear all the love bestowed on his dad when he got very little back from him. I don’t think Yoko helped much on that level. I believe John’s lover during his ‘lost weekend’ (brief period apart from Yoko) with May Pang, she encouraged John to have more of a relationship with his son.

Paul had a more balanced and healthy upbringing, and as a father I think has been great. He just got kids in a way John never did. Paul tells a sad story about a time in the 60’s they were on a boat in Greece I think. Paul was running about the boat playing cowboys and Indians with Julian. John said to him afterwards; ‘how do you do that stuff with kids? I just can’t do it’.
As a person despite loving a lot of his work, I do find him incredibly irritating sometimes and I think probably had the biggest ego of all The Beatles. There’s a pretence there which maybe there for self preservation who knows unless you know him personally. I do think though when he does pass, that the poor songs of him humongous back catalogue will be forgotten and the great stuff he’s written will be what he’s remembered for. In terms of credibility, he has suffered by not dying early like John did.

I’d say George was least ego driven of The Beatles and probably the deepest thinker too. There was never any bull from him; a very straight talking man with a wry sense of humour too.

Considering Ringo wasn’t expected to make it through childhood due to ill health, he’s not done bad. Seems a very funny loveable man although was probably not the nicest person to be around during his alcoholic years in the late 70’s/early 80’s. I dare say Barbara Bach didn’t have the best of times with him at that point.

If pushed I have to say my favourite Beatle was John.

I’m not going to go on anymore as I’ve probanly bored you all sh*tless already. Sorry but Maidstone has hit on my favourite subject outside the Palace. I am free to answer any questions regarding the fabs from curious BBSers. I don’t charge....

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 24-02-2018, 08:01 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Yeah, I’ve got a question, although you may find it difficult to answer. Favourite album?
Old 24-02-2018, 08:37 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Yeah, I’ve got a question, although you may find it difficult to answer. Favourite album?
Yes you’re right...nigh on impossible. But if you put a gun to my head I’d probably go for Revolver. But for me, there’s not much between that album, Rubber Soul, Sgt Peppers, White Album and Abbey Road. What’s yours?

Solo wise: my favourite Lennon album is probably Plastic Ono Band and Macca probably Ram with Red Rose Speedway a close second. Do love Every Night and Junk on McCartney though.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 24-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned by Moderators

nickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnickgusset came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
nice work bubbs
If you’re on the left, disagree all you want, but for feck’s sake try to find it in your hearts to treat each other with a modicum of respect and refrain from vile personal abuse. If you’re on the right… just try to find your hearts. And good luck with that.
Old 24-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Yes you’re right...nigh on impossible. But if you put a gun to my head I’d probably go for Revolver. But for me, there’s not much between that album, Rubber Soul, Sgt Peppers, White Album and Abbey Road. What’s yours?

Solo wise: my favourite Lennon album is probably Plastic Ono Band and Macca probably Ram with Red Rose Speedway a close second. Do love Every Night and Junk on McCartney though.
Rubber Soul by midge’s cock, but there’s really nothing between it, Revolver and Sgt Pepper. Think I just find the lyrics more compelling, the Bob Dylan influences are clear to hear. My preference for shorter, more concise LP’s is completely personal, but that’s why I don’t hold the White Album in the quite as high regard, and on Abbey Road, Paul and John don’t sound like they’re at their very best. The best two songs are both George’s imo. At the end of the day all their albums are fantastic though, bar Yellow Submarine and maybe With the Beatles. As for solo albums, agree on Plastic Ono band with John, and for Paul, I’m quite a big fan of Flaming Pie, but on equal footing with the two you mentioned. Favourite Harrison album is cloud nine, with Clapton’s input definitely helping.
Old 25-02-2018, 02:46 AM

Of Paul’s most recent albums...yes, Flaming Pie was good and has a few great little tunes on it. I also really enjoyed ‘Memory Almost Full’.

It’s funny with McCartney...I was actually thinking about starting a thread about his work but almost felt too embarrassed to. He seems to have created quite a sneering attitude from muso’s due of course to a few cheesy moments and I guess because he seems to release everything he does without quality control - stuff that the other 3 in The Beatles would never have allowed through.

But the bare facts remain, sieve away his throwaway stuff and what is left is a huge catalogue of classics. He’ll be the classic case of an artist that’s loved and revered more when he’s dead I’m sure.

You do wonder how Lennon’s public popularity would’ve panned out had he not been murdered. He went out on a high with some amazing songs on Double Fantasy -
don’t get me started on Yoko’s contribution however. I think had John lived he would’ve really flown in the face of public opinion and be very ‘marmite’ - dividing opinions wildly, as he did post Beatles. A sort of Russell Brand times 100.

I do rue the fact that we were cheated out of more Lennon albums though. I’ve heard probably all of his home demo songs that have surfaced over the years that he was working on, and there are some lovely moments there that would’ve blossomed into more great albums I reckon - Free as a bird among them. ‘The Beatles’ version of it for the Anthology release was well done but took away the beautiful wistfulness of the tune.

- John Peel
Old 25-02-2018, 10:03 AM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Well I’m a Beatle obsessive and sad person that I am, have lost count of the amount of books I’ve read about them over the years. Goes without saying I’ve got everything they’ve ever recorded - demos included - and pretty much all their solo stuff too.

For me as songwriters, they can’t be touched. John and Paul were quite clearly head and shoulders above George at writing, but in saying that, George stole the show on their final album with ‘Something’ and ‘Here comes the sun’.

The chemistry between the musicians was what made them so exceptional. Ringo may not be the greatest drummer in the world - although he’s a lot better than what many give him credit for - he was perfect for the Beatles. He played to each song’s needs, without ever going over the top.

As solo artists: John i think probably had the best songs. Macca has been like a dirty secret for me. I fully accept in the solo years without John to keep his ‘cheese’ grounded, he’s written a host of bloody awful stuff, but within his many albums are still songs that are just superb. His early 70’s albums: McCartney, Ram and Red Rose Speedway have some real classics and Band on the Run album ain’t too shabby either. Can I just step into some heinous territory and defend the Frog Chorus...it was a song written for a Rupert Bear thing he was working on and is quite clearly a children’s song meant for children. I have to say as a humble songwriter myself - in that context it’s actually not bad at all.

I will not however be defending ‘Ebony and Ivory’ - no excuse for that!

Never really got on with George’s solo stuff although ‘All things must pass’ has some lovely moments.

As people? Well I can only go off the many first hand accounts and interviews I’ve read, listened to and seen. To have created the kind of career and fame they did they can’t have been angels. John himself said they had to be the biggest bastards in the world to get where they did. But in their defence, the music they created has been such a positive force and inspiration throughout the world then and now, that you kind of forgive them the negative sides.

John was quite clearly one hell of a character. A very, very funny man as well as a great artist, but of course he wasn’t perfect. Cynthia said he only hit her the once despite this ‘wife beating’ tag that seems to crop up. The turmoil of his upbringing created quite a wounded animal and could be very cruel to people around him, but also amazingly kind and generous too. He was a whirling dirvish of a human being. But his treatement of Julian was unacceptable. The only kind thing I can say is that he was very young when Julian was born and in the middle of The Beatles worldwide fame explosion. It can’t have been easy to be a dad amid that madness. He did try and make amends in later life when in New York but still it must be hard for Julian to hear all the love bestowed on his dad when he got very little back from him. I don’t think Yoko helped much on that level. I believe John’s lover during his ‘lost weekend’ (brief period apart from Yoko) with May Pang, she encouraged John to have more of a relationship with his son.

Paul had a more balanced and healthy upbringing, and as a father I think has been great. He just got kids in a way John never did. Paul tells a sad story about a time in the 60’s they were on a boat in Greece I think. Paul was running about the boat playing cowboys and Indians with Julian. John said to him afterwards; ‘how do you do that stuff with kids? I just can’t do it’.
As a person despite loving a lot of his work, I do find him incredibly irritating sometimes and I think probably had the biggest ego of all The Beatles. There’s a pretence there which maybe there for self preservation who knows unless you know him personally. I do think though when he does pass, that the poor songs of him humongous back catalogue will be forgotten and the great stuff he’s written will be what he’s remembered for. In terms of credibility, he has suffered by not dying early like John did.

I’d say George was least ego driven of The Beatles and probably the deepest thinker too. There was never any bull from him; a very straight talking man with a wry sense of humour too.

Considering Ringo wasn’t expected to make it through childhood due to ill health, he’s not done bad. Seems a very funny loveable man although was probably not the nicest person to be around during his alcoholic years in the late 70’s/early 80’s. I dare say Barbara Bach didn’t have the best of times with him at that point.

If pushed I have to say my favourite Beatle was John.

I’m not going to go on anymore as I’ve probanly bored you all sh*tless already. Sorry but Maidstone has hit on my favourite subject outside the Palace. I am free to answer any questions regarding the fabs from curious BBSers. I don’t charge....
Good post.Cheers!

My fave is Hard Days Night (classic pop),followed by Revolver.

Btw, the wife beating stuff was more re Yoko. I heard the tape where she talked about it while they were in primal therapy.

I suspect Ringo's quote re George on the Scorsese documentary was insightful.."he was an interesting bunch of people"
Old 26-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Noot! Noot!

FORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is here
Haven't seen much of Beatleboy on here recently, he ok? I used to enjoy winding him up a bit.
Old 26-02-2018, 09:59 PM

Olympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Musically, they were brilliant. In just 8 years they took the world on a wonderful musical journey, every album slightly different, evolving from Please Please Me through Revolver & St Pepper to Abbey Road & Let It Be in such a short period.

I used to love listening to Laser 558 pirate radio which hosted Beatles evenings. Every time I listened I heard new, relatively obscure tracks, all sounding different & I instantly loved pretty much all of them - Baby, You're a Rich Man, Hey Bulldog, Your Mother Should Know, Revolution, Ballad of John & Yoko, And Your Bird Can Sing.

Hoevwer they turned out personally thereafter - man, they made some amazing songs.
Old 26-02-2018, 10:39 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZA SELHURST View Post
Haven't seen much of Beatleboy on here recently, he ok? I used to enjoy winding him up a bit.
Another name from the past. Hope he is OK would be good to know.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013

Please if you can donate to this, give back some of the joy you have had watching the 'A Palace Minute' series from BUBBS11.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina