Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 04-05-2018, 03:55 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Joking aside, if New Wave is included then I'd add Tainted Love.

*Edit.
I know it's a re-make but it's right up there.

Last edited by Coastal Palace; 04-05-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Reading the lists makes me wants to change the one I posted.
I'm not even going to bother!
You'll never come up with a definitive Top 10. Just too many to chose from.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:26 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim of the 80's View Post
And not for nothing known as the Godfather of Punk
Well, that's debatable.
That would be Iggy Pop,for me.
When I was about 15, I picked up a copy of Metallic KO from a charity shop. It was more alien that Bowie by some distance. Absolutely chaotic record. Brilliant.

For all his talent, he was a big part of the pub rock movement. Like the Police, and The Stranglers, he was part of an older generation who were canny enough to tweak their acts enough to get success riding on punk's coat tails. Cynical but effective.

I'd also say that Eddie and the Hot Rods and the Feelgoods have more of a claim to the title you're bestowing on Dury.

Last edited by Stellavista; 04-05-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Bucks Fizz -Land of Make Believe
Tight Fight - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Goombay Dance Band - Seven Tears
Aneka - Japanese Boy
Brotherhood of Man - Fernando
Barron Knights - Bit of Aggro
The Seekers - You Won't Find Another Love Like Mine
Dana - Cold Cold Christmas
Rubettes - Sugar Baby Love
Pilot - January
Miserable fail, leaving out Tarzan Boy.....
Old 04-05-2018, 04:39 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Identity - XRay Spex (the first single I ever bought)
Human Fly - The Cramps
What do I get - The Buzzcocks
Here comes the Judge - The Vapours
Alternative Ulster - SLF
Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhuas
Shot by both sides - Magazine
London Calling - The Clash
Peaches - The Stranglers

I reserve the right to alter, just no way i can keep it to ten.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:40 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
And now Stella mentioned Iggy and then there's The Jam, Joy Division, UK Subs, Adam Ant and Siouxse.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:35 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
Joking aside, if New Wave is included then I'd add Tainted Love.

*Edit.
I know it's a re-make but it's right up there.
I wouldn't really class Marilyn Manson as punk or new wave.

I am assuming that as you don't think Ian Dury and the Blockheads are worthy of inclusion in this thread that you can't be referring to synth-pop wonders Soft Cell's cover of this song.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
I wouldn't really class Marilyn Manson as punk or new wave.

I am assuming that as you don't think Ian Dury and the Blockheads are worthy of inclusion in this thread that you can't be referring to synth-pop wonders Soft Cell's cover of this song.
If I'm honest, I don't care anymore.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:41 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Really surprising to see Squeeze being almost totally ignored.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:46 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Not going to do a top ten as there have been plenty of excellent ones on here already but a few that I don't think I have seen mentioned yet.

Love comes in Spurts -Richard Hell and the Voidoids
R.A.M.O.N.E.S. - Motorhead
Song from under the floorboard - Magazine
**** Off - Wayne County and the Electric Chairs
Incendiary Device - Johnny Moped
Old 04-05-2018, 06:51 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

I forgot this one:

Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Smoz and others are right. Too many great discs for a top ten. Figured this thread would go its own way fairly quickly anyway. But Squeeze? Please!

City of the Damned - Rikki and the Last Days of Earth. Kitsch as f*ck.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Alfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
1. Safe European home - the clash
2. Bodies - the sex pistols
3. Can't stand my baby - the rezzilos
4. Tommy gun - the clash
5. Germ free adolescent- x-ray specs
6. Liar -sex pistols
7 neat neat neat - the dammed
8. Stranglehold- U.K. Subs
9. Borstal breakout - sham 69
10. Fly the flag - stiff little fingers

Oh for those days again !!!
Music was alive!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Alfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlfie's army : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Oh I forgot about that rezillos version of glad all over what an album that is and deft my favourite version
Old 04-05-2018, 07:11 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Smoz and others are right. Too many great discs for a top ten. Figured this thread would go its own way fairly quickly anyway. But Squeeze? Please!

City of the Damned - Rikki and the Last Days of Earth. Kitsch as f*ck.
Good thread Stellavista. I am not normally a fan of top tens but you have got me trying to work out a top ten tracks of the New York Dolls and associated members. I find this tricky, how on earth could I condense punk rock and new wave down to ten tracks?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:25 PM

citizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecitizen sane : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
In no real order.

Athletico Spizz 80 - Where's captain Kirk.
Crass - Mother Earth.
Stranglers - Ugly.
Siouxsie and the Banshee's - Playground Twist.
Joy Division - She's lost control.
Damned - Sanity Clause.
999 - Homicide.
Ruts - In a Rut.
Sex Pistols - God save the queen.
Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia.

If I done this tomorrow that list would probably be different.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Used to enjoy watching a Bromley band called the Vamp in the late seventies.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:28 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Used to enjoy watching a Bromley band called the Vamp in the late seventies.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:40 PM
The Bringer of Joy

No mention of Psycho Killer, Talking Heads yet. And I didn't include anything by Pere Ubu, mainly because I'd have to submit almost everything they ever released on single. Which reminds me, there's a lot of stuff sneaking in here that was not released as a single.

Just remembered, Autonomy by Buzzcocks (never 'the').
Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Slow Motion - Ultravox.
Emergency - 999
CID/Live in a Car - UK Subs
I Don't Mind - Buzzcocks