Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 16-02-2007, 02:06 PM

Matt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMatt Jansen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Relegation 93

I was having a quick look through Joe Royle's biography in Waterstones yesterday as there were a few Palace references in the index.

I read a few pages on the Palace/Oldham Premiership relegation battle of 1993. Everyone knows that Palace did their lap of honour after the win v Ipswich that Coppell "hated" according to Royle.

Anyway, with Palace dead and buried v Arsenal and Oldham holding on at 4-3 v Southampton, it said that Milligan(?) handled in the box in injury time. The ref didnt give it and Oldham got the win that relegated Palace.

Royle said that Milligan admitted the handball after the game, and with penalty king Matthew Le Tissier, Southampton would probably have scored and saved Palace (by the way, Le Tissier scored a hattrick in this defeat).

This seems to be a huge moment in Palace history that I've never heard of, especially as it caused Coppell to resign. I'm aware that Oldham somehow beat title contenders Villa away on the Sunday, and that David James gifted them a win over Liverpool in midweek, but this handball and the very end of the season is the thing that cost us.
Old 16-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham and Penge
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I wasn't aware of that either
Old 16-02-2007, 02:20 PM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
It was absolutely gutting,
Old 16-02-2007, 04:48 PM
On the learning curve

MENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The moment Oldham beat Villa at Villa Park that penultimate weekend to give Man U the title you just knew the writting was on the wall.
That final week of that season was like watching us attack in open play now. Slow,painful knowing theres going to be bad ending.
Old 16-02-2007, 04:54 PM

forest glazier is playing for a contract
I often thought that there was a North West conspiracy to save Oldham at our expense and if Arsenal and Wrighty had done the same thing on the last Saturday we would have stayed up but they did not!
We went down on goal difference and Wimbledon beat us 4-0 and Oldaham beatr Wombledon 5-1 and a goal change in each game would have saved us.
So blame Arsenal and Wimbledon (London teams) for sending us down
Old 16-02-2007, 04:54 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Re: Relegation 93

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Jansen
I'm aware that Oldham somehow beat title contenders Villa away on the Sunday, and that David James gifted them a win over Liverpool in midweek...
Wasn't it Grobbelaar ? What with subsequent events, it makes me wonder whether there might have been a wealthy gentleman in the Far East who had a bet on Oldham to stay up.

James was on their books at the time, but I've got a feeling that Grobbelaar played that match. He was getting more and more erratic towards the end of his career and I think that that match was just about the final straw (if indeed it was him ... I'm not 100% sure)
Old 16-02-2007, 04:59 PM

CallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCallMeBernard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by forest glazier
I often thought that there was a North West conspiracy to save Oldham at our expense ........
So blame Arsenal and Wimbledon (London teams) for sending us down
Or you could blame the Palace players instead perhaps, rather than looking elsewhere?

One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.
Old 16-02-2007, 05:02 PM
::::::::::::

JAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is here
did you have to bring this up ! i always get a sick feeling just thinking about it
Old 16-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned by Moderators

stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?
i imagine huudersfield town fans feel the same after our own handball , and vassen saving a point blank shot against them as well
Old 16-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
What is misses out of his biography is the money that was paid to certain parties to ensure Oldham won those games

Yes, i'm making it up. Yes, i'm still bitter. You •••• Wright
Old 16-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by CallMeBernard
Or you could blame the Palace players instead perhaps, rather than looking elsewhere?
If we're going to play that game, who sold Ian Wright and wouldn't pay the extra £250k to get Shearer?
Old 16-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Slightly Unstable

Re: Re: Relegation 93

Quote:
Originally posted by ElwissAtMemphis
Wasn't it Grobbelaar ? What with subsequent events, it makes me wonder whether there might have been a wealthy gentleman in the Far East who had a bet on Oldham to stay up.

James was on their books at the time, but I've got a feeling that Grobbelaar played that match. He was getting more and more erratic towards the end of his career and I think that that match was just about the final straw (if indeed it was him ... I'm not 100% sure)
I'm pretty sure it was James. He and Flowers were considered two of the best keepers in the country at the time and to see them gift goals to Oldham was sickening.
Old 16-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Banned by Moderators

stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?stupalace knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?
Quote:
Originally posted by Santos-er
If we're going to play that game, who sold Ian Wright and wouldn't pay the extra £250k to get Shearer?
the only shearer we would have signed would have been duncan shearer , quarter of a million pounds was a lot of money then ( still is today )
Old 16-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Slightly Unstable

Maybe i'm wrong - but I'm sure I read that we put in a £2m bid for Alan Shearer but Southampton wanted £2.25m and Noades wouldn't pay...
Old 16-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Slightly Unstable

So we got Gabbiadini instead

Mind you, Marco scored in that 2-1 win at Anfield, which is equal place with the 2-1 win at Highbury as my best away game attended...
Old 16-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Maybe i'm wrong - but I'm sure I read that we put in a £2m bid for Alan Shearer but Southampton wanted £2.25m and Noades wouldn't pay...
we definitely were after him not sure of the details regarding why he didnt sign
Old 16-02-2007, 11:59 PM

KevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKevMason98 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
After the Arsenal game I decided to go back towards Croydon, rather than go home. I ended up in the Clifton Arms having a beer with a few Palace fans who I didn't know. Somehow didn't want to go home. Got slowly "mashed". Anyway about 10:30 pm some guy comes in and says that there were a load of MANU in the George and that we should all go up there. I think that 3 of us went in and it was full to the brim of Man U doing the can-can and singing Eric Cantana songs. In my sloshed state I had a moment of clarity and decided that I shouldn't be in here and decided to go home. I headed back to Gravesend and let myself into my flat I had there. Trouble is I had actually moved out of the place about 3 months earlier and was trying to rent it out. I actually should have gone back to Sidcup where I was living with my wife of the time. Took some explaining that one.

One last point.....A guy on the train back to East Croydon much earlier in the day could see I was pretty cut up about the relegation and put his arm around me and said something along the lines of "Don't worry mate. It happens. If you want to support a team like Arsenal or Man U who win every week then you can, but when you support Palace there are ups and downs, but it makes those days when we do do something special.........."Really Special". Think it was only a passing comment, but it stuck with me.

Matt Lawrence .....May 2010!
Old 17-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Definitely David James in goal. I remember sitting in the bath and listening in horror as Oldham went 3-1 up. Just sat in silence and shock for ages as our relegation got nearer. Water was bloody freezing by the time I got myself out of there!
Old 17-02-2007, 11:27 PM

One Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningOne Step Down would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
That relegation should have been a launching point to a new era of greatness. The reality was that the great team of 90-92 had burnt itself out; Wright, Bright, and others had gone and while we shouldn't have been relegated, we were rebuilding. No matter. In Division One we blooded the youngsters (Southgate, Gordon, and co.) and won the Championship at a canter, bouncing right back with ease. Relegation ended up being a hiccup, not a tragedy at all.

The tragedy came in the 94-95 season when we self-destructed in a manner rarely seen before or since.
Old 18-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
I heard, can't remember where, that we actually offered more than Blackburn did.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.