Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Maidstoned Eagle
For lessons in how to say somethings shit without actually saying the word "Shit" please PM Alf.
There is a difference between constructive criticism and just saying something is shit. I will say it again, I don't eat meat because I felt the health risks outweighed the benefits. Doesnt mean to say eating meat is shit, it's just not for me. Have nothing against anyone who does, I just choose not too. When someone says a band is shit, but fails to give the reasons why they think they ar shit, then that is a wholly different thing.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by DrRock
Now if they got Peter Gabriel back I might be interested.
'Sus-Sus-Sudio' my fckn arse - makes McCartney sound halfway talented.
Chain Collins to his drum kit sans mic, get PG back on vocals, find Steve Hackett.
Lamb their last decent album.
Couldn't agree more Dr. They became total pap once Peter the Great left; but we have had the consolation of his solo career
Old 09-11-2006, 09:27 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
I was actually inviting you to have the last word. Coincidentally, the rather arrogant Chris Rea once said to a guitarist friend of mine whilst they were rehearsing "If you have to ask, you won't understand". Not saying you're arrogant, maybe just a little aloof with your replies. Come on tell us why you don't like Phil Collins!
I would of thought the music spoke volumes. I could of course recount an anecdote, but I'll leave that , and name dropping , to other members of this august bulletin board.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:33 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Pidster
I would of thought the music spoke volumes. I could of course recount an anecdote, but I'll leave that , and name dropping , to other members of this august bulletin board.
It wasn't name dropping, it was illustrating one of the reasons why I don't like Chris Rea - he's not a very pleasant chap apparently. I know it was subtle but do try and keep up with the programme.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
It wasn't name dropping, it was illustrating one of the reasons why I don't like Chris Rea - he's not a very pleasant chap apparently. I know it was subtle but do try and keep up with the programme.
So it'd be fair to say that he's a bit of a shit?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sorry, did you think my comment was directed at you?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 AM
jó csávó

Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.
Quote:
So siomply say they were bollox is simplistic in the extreme.
Genesis are simply bollox - why do I need to offer an alternative?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
I'm not particularly keen on X but I think Y are better.

Because X are sh*t.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
And they're c*nts.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:07 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
gas them like badgers.

SaulAlinsky
Old 09-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Bollox to Bloody Bolton

Sussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
Haven't seen him on the telly, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, he has a season ticket in block E, lower tier.
Yup, sat 2 or 3 rows behind him for several years there.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Bollox to Bloody Bolton

Sussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders
Popular misconception no. 983.

Punk was nothing at all to do with so-called "progressive" music.
Did Punk actually even exist in any shape or form in your reality, Gooders?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I love Genesis and The Damned - it is possible
Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
You don't know how happy I am to (constantly) hear that Maz doesn't like Prog in general, and Genesis in particular.
I have some time for Yes. I had some time for Keith Emerson (as a musician).

But no; in general, if I want to listen to music with classical pretensions, I listen to classical music it's true.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 PM
jó csávó

Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chillo
I love Genesis and The Damned - it is possible
Yes but you've probably got no gonads.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Did Punk actually even exist in any shape or form in your reality, Gooders?
Of course it existed but to suggest that it arose as a reaction to a musical segment which never aimed at popular acceptance and was listened to by a minority of the populace when compared to Motown, Disco, Glam Rock and straight down the middle of the road Pop is frankly ridiculous.

Punk arose in America because a number of artists were fed up with not getting an audience and air play and so on because they were doing something different. My own opinion is that the reason they weren't getting an audience is that they were mostly talentless gimboids, but that is purely my own opinion.

In the UK, punk was little more than an opportunistic and exploitative bandwagon that lots of people jumped on and made a shitload of money out of. It also spawned a few decent bands (who, by the way, totally changed their musical approach once they had gained acceptance and often became a parody of what they were supposed to be rebelling against).

And finally, punk was a lot less about the music than about making social statements (most of which have long since been combined to the dustbin of history).

I like some punk music. I like a lot of the stuff it inspired later. But it had nothing to do with trying to give people an alternative to listening to and enjoying Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd and King Crimson.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:10 PM

OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.OurManInSussex will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.
Prog + Punk = Cardiacs
Old 09-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Slowing Down Member

westsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwestsussexeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Punk arose in America because a number of artists were fed up with not getting an audience and air play and so on because they were doing something different. My own opinion is that the reason they weren't getting an audience is that they were mostly talentless gimboids, but that is purely my own opinion.

In the UK, punk was little more than an opportunistic and exploitative bandwagon that lots of people jumped on and made a shitload of money out of. It also spawned a few decent bands (who, by the way, totally changed their musical approach once they had gained acceptance and often became a parody of what they were supposed to be rebelling against).

And finally, punk was a lot less about the music than about making social statements (most of which have long since been combined to the dustbin of history).

I like some punk music. I like a lot of the stuff it inspired later. But it had nothing to do with trying to give people an alternative to listening to and enjoying Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd and King Crimson.
It's a view of musical history but it's not one I'm familiar with. It's sort of vaugely intellectual - much indeed like the epic rock music being discussed - but written by someone who wasn't there but had read a few books.

Punk 'music' actually had everything to do with offering an alternative to what had become the pompous, overblown and self indulgent (that's why each track was seemingly at least 3 weeks long) music of the Arena bands highlighted (for me personally with the exception of Fripp's outfit) by the ones you have named. I say this with some experience having played in a number of albeit fairly unsuccessful punk bands and have a Vivienne Westwood original bondage jacket (spit stained obviously) as a memento. The punk 'movement' as you rightly point out was about making a social statement and a fairly nihilistic one at that.

As for Genesis reforming I tend to agree with a few posters above that once Gabriel left and they reacted to punk by moving in a polar opposite direction they became somewhat nauseating. Old bored musicians foisting themselves on the world again. I'll give it a miss thanks.

Last edited by westsussexeagle; 09-11-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 PM
No authority but yourself

philsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is here
Punk did not arise as a backlash to prog,johnny rotten said something about in an interview which people often quote.
Punk was more a reaction to everything at the time,music(disco pop)politics,fashion and anyone in authority.It was also a feeling that it was something totally new, anyone could get involved with,start a band,and be playing gigs,before you,d even learnt to play.Pure DIY.
I listened to prog when i was a kid,camel ,yes,emerson lake and palmer ect.And listen to new prog,such as mars volta,isis and amplifier,which in some quarters is considered punk ,because it doesn,t stick to any formulas.But i never thought genesis were prog or actually any good at all really,totally boring , its not worth coming back,if you were shit in the first place.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Pistike
Yes but you've probably got no gonads.
Just checked and they're still there

BTW, what's that got to do with it?