Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 13-03-2018, 01:03 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
This is not the time to give people a chance. This the time to play your best players.
Normally I would agree, but when your so called best striker has been totally shit all season he is no longer one of your best players is he
Old 13-03-2018, 01:46 PM

OriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
Sorloth did not win one header against Smalling and i thought he had a generally average game. Benteke won headers because he is a better player than Sorloth and not because of anything else.
Sorloths feet never leave the ground. For a tall man, if he tried to jump once or twice...
Old 13-03-2018, 01:57 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Sorloth deserves to start - he did more in that second half against Chelsea than benteke has produced in weeks. Benteke may even be more of a threat when coming off the bench late in the game. It's time for a change and we can't play two up front away from home.
Old 13-03-2018, 02:38 PM

Tele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTele Caster : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Wickham has run more in 10 mins of the U21 match than Benteke has covered in weeks. Bet he's on the bench on Saturday.
Old 13-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele Caster View Post
Wickham has run more in 10 mins of the U21 match than Benteke has covered in weeks. Bet he's on the bench on Saturday.
He really hasn't. I'm part of the Connor Wickham cheerleading squad but so far his game has very comparable to Betenke on Saturday. The ball hasn't been near him for him to do anything

edit: He just did more than Benteke on Saturday. Shot on target
Old 13-03-2018, 02:47 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
Sorloth deserves to start - he did more in that second half against Chelsea than benteke has produced in weeks. Benteke may even be more of a threat when coming off the bench late in the game. It's time for a change and we can't play two up front away from home.
Agreed. We are past asking why or expecting a return to form -Benteke's attitude / application seems to have diminished along with his performances and he has missed way too many chances. Now that Wilf is back, we need to give RLC a start as an AM because it is the only time in five years we've had any threat through the middle and that means a lone striker.

In that context, Sorloth can hardly do worse than Benteke and seems hungrier at the very least. Sorloth is inexperienced but we should take heart from the emergence of AWB and give youth it's chance.

Best of all, it might just knock Benteke's pride enough to get him going as a second-half sub. Yep, it is clutching at straws but stranger things have happened and we have no reason to believe Benteke will suddenly show the form he has failed to generate in over 25 games this season as a first team starter. The only caveat to this would be if Sorloth is so clearly and vastly inferior to even Benteke in training, in which case, it's another triumph for the club's recruitment this season.
Old 13-03-2018, 03:55 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Fully agree with that Southgate. I'd love to see RLC in the advanced central midfield role behind Sorloth with Wilf and Townsend out wide. We play much better in that formation and it will get the best out of RLC and Wilf. My worry about Roy is that he will play the more basic 4-4-2 with RLC out on the left though.

I agree with you about Benteke. If sorloth doesn't play well then we can bring back Benteke. But I saw enough of Sorloth in the second half on Saturday to think he deserves to start as the lone striker.
Old 13-03-2018, 04:15 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
I tend to think the best place for RLC would be in a flat midfield 5 next to a winger that can protect the full back. Maybe RCM next to Townsend. I'd still rather play McArthur Cabaye and Milo, though.

Werner Herzog
Old 13-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excowboy View Post
I tend to think the best place for RLC would be in a flat midfield 5 next to a winger that can protect the full back. Maybe RCM next to Townsend. I'd still rather play McArthur Cabaye and Milo, though.
RLC has zero interest of tracking back tor putting his foot in.
I’d rather leave him and Big Ben up top with little defending duties because they don’t bother. (Apart from Big Ben on corners)
Old 13-03-2018, 04:39 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
RLC has zero interest of tracking back tor putting his foot in.
I’d rather leave him and Big Ben up top with little defending duties because they don’t bother. (Apart from Big Ben on corners)
Thing is then you're giving more defensive duties to Wilf, who's our main attacking threat. He's not as effective further back.

Werner Herzog
Old 13-03-2018, 04:52 PM

fly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefly eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I personally think the second half improvement was due to Zaha being on the pitch. He opened up the game and had Beneteke stayed on we still would have seen an improvement, lets face it it could not have got any worse.

I think Sorloth is decent but reminds me of Wickham in the way he doesn't seem to have the movement in the box. A couple balls came in against Chelsea which I feel he should have anticipated much better.

In the last few games Benteke has actually created a few chances for Sorloth and was far superior against Man Utd. Against Chelsea both were poor but I put a lot of that down to the shape of the side. And although this sounds silly talking about a striker, Benteke's contribution on defending set pieces will really be missed when he is not in the side.

With or without Big Ben I want to see Townsend on the left Zaha on the right and RLC just behind. If RLC is not fit then I want to see 433 with Luka, Macca and Reidewald (or Cabeye if fit).

If Roy (which I suspect) decides to live and die by the rigid 442 then we need to start one of Big Ben or Sorloth with Zaha up top. We cannot play 2 big strikers up front, we need strength and mobility. If we need a goal bring the other striker on.
Old 13-03-2018, 05:20 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Now we have players coming back i’d play Bentrke, otherwise every ball forward will just be coming straight back. Sorloth is 6’7” but wins nothing in the air.
Old 13-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Supporting Palace away

Eagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Theoretically Benteke is, alongside Andy Carroll, the best header (striker) of the ball in the Premiership. Problem is he is hopelessly out of form and no one would have put in the the top 10 for that distinction this season. Yes he wins knock downs but so could Cameron Jerome.
I do not go with the argument to only go with experience. Look at Wan-Bissaka.
There is also feet. Sorloth looks quite nimble for a big guy and it is only fair to see if he can put away the chances. I cannot prove but understand that Benteke has the one of the lowest goals to chances ratio in the Premiership. I am not saying sell Benteke, merely give Sorloth a chance. The break may well give Benteke the boost he needs.
Old 13-03-2018, 05:54 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele Caster View Post
No chance, after an injury like he has had you don't involve him in the first team this soon
Old 13-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle's Away View Post
Theoretically Benteke is, alongside Andy Carroll, the best header (striker) of the ball in the Premiership. Problem is he is hopelessly out of form and no one would have put in the the top 10 for that distinction this season. Yes he wins knock downs but so could Cameron Jerome.
I do not go with the argument to only go with experience. Look at Wan-Bissaka.
There is also feet. Sorloth looks quite nimble for a big guy and it is only fair to see if he can put away the chances. I cannot prove but understand that Benteke has the one of the lowest goals to chances ratio in the Premiership. I am not saying sell Benteke, merely give Sorloth a chance. The break may well give Benteke the boost he needs.
This is a bit of a hobby horse for me lately but I am not sure that he is that great at heading it and certainly not as effective as Andy Carroll at directing it with power. He IS undoubtedly outstanding at winning an aerial duel, i.e. getting his head to the ball first. He catches the occasional one right but nothing like Carroll. He is actually also very good at bringing it down on his chest, using his height.
Old 13-03-2018, 06:12 PM
18 years for 3,670 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
No chance, after an injury like he has had you don't involve him in the first team this soon
We'll be lucky if we see him this season even on the bench
. Hugely serious injury and as he has been unlucky with injuries I would think they won't rush him back even at this critical stage of the season.
Old 13-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
With arguably our best four players back, it would be nuts not to start with Benteke. The bloke has been battling away for weeks pretty much on his own/ with only Townsend for company.
We know he likes playing with Sakho and Zaha, and we know he likes playing at Anfield against Liverpool.
Old 13-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Mr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Fully agree with that Southgate. I'd love to see RLC in the advanced central midfield role behind Sorloth with Wilf and Townsend out wide. We play much better in that formation and it will get the best out of RLC and Wilf. My worry about Roy is that he will play the more basic 4-4-2 with RLC out on the left though.

I agree with you about Benteke. If sorloth doesn't play well then we can bring back Benteke. But I saw enough of Sorloth in the second half on Saturday to think he deserves to start as the lone striker.
Agree with all of that 4-3-3 with Sorloth up top. Benteke has had his chance he now needs to earn a place back in the starting eleven.
Old 17-03-2018, 10:22 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Nice to hear Roy say yesterday that so far Sørloth ‘is everything we thought we were buying.’

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 17-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Kai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKai came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

I'd play RLC in a central attacking midfield position with Zaha and Townsend on the flanks.