Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:35 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
That’s probably because you’ve not stopped telling them how crap you think he is!

You're probably right!

I really don't think he's a bad player but he's having an awful season. I'm still hoping he comes good and scores the goals to keep us up but it's not looking good on that front.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:35 AM

MonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Thing is what we really needed was a player that could hit the ground running. Sorloth has all the attributes but we could do with him finding his feet now. What I have noticed about him is that he does not possess much finesse with his finishing. If you watch his Palace training videos and youtube clips all his goals are just smacked. Not saying theres anything wrong with that, the PL all time scorer did exactly the same thing. Although the effort against Chelsea that hit the post need something a little more cunning. We could have taken a gamble on a championship striker for example and hedged our bets in the short term. Hopefully with Wilf back and Sorloth through the middle we are going to see more impact from Sorloth. Lets get some crosses into him!

Last edited by MonsterMunch; 12-03-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:37 AM

JackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMunch View Post
Thing is what we really needed was a player that could hit the ground running. Sorloth has all the attributes but we could do with him finding his feet now. We could have taken a gamble on a championship striker for example and hedged our bets in the short term. Hopefully with Wilf back and Sorloth through the middle we are going to see more impact from Sorloth.
Mitrovic was the obvious one but of course Newcastle may not have let him go to a rival. He's on fire at Fulham - yes I know its a step down, but he's a handful if subject to the occasional red mist.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 AM

MonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMonsterMunch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
Mitrovic was the obvious one but of course Newcastle may not have let him go to a rival. He's on fire at Fulham - yes I know its a step down, but he's a handful if subject to the occasional red mist.
Yes could have taken that gamble, I reckon he would have been considered too. My suggestion would have been Benik Afobe from Bournemouth that went to Wolves (although not technically from Championship)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 AM

Green Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I want to see Zaha, Cabaye, Sakho, and Benteke on the pitch together. As Bigend points out it is about all round contribution. Sorloth was bought to play in conjunction with, not instead of Benteke. Now is not the time to start experiments. Benteke had a very good game v Man Utd and was a cut above Sorloth.
Benteke did have a good game against Man U, and that in part is because he had Sorloth alongside. Without him, Benteke would have been lost, as he would have been dominated by two CB's. I didn't think he was a cut above Sorloth though, who looked better at bringing the ball under control and bring other players into the game. Not surprised that Roy went for the same format against Chelsea, but their midfield was set up differently to Man U.

Benteke has had long enough to make a proper impact this season, his time is up.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Michael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bin View Post
Benteke did have a good game against Man U, and that in part is because he had Sorloth alongside. Without him, Benteke would have been lost, as he would have been dominated by two CB's. I didn't think he was a cut above Sorloth though, who looked better at bringing the ball under control and bring other players into the game. Not surprised that Roy went for the same format against Chelsea, but their midfield was set up differently to Man U.

Benteke has had long enough to make a proper impact this season, his time is up.
Sorloth did not win one header against Smalling and i thought he had a generally average game. Benteke won headers because he is a better player than Sorloth and not because of anything else.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:41 AM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Taken the liberty to add in assists.

His lack of goals is unacceptable, totally. But just to show he is contributing and those saying he isn’t are totally wrong ans obsessed the assists out him mid table of those comparable players in contributions.

In the last couple of weeks he’s missed out to a wonder save and a handball stoping his overhead kick going into the top corner. If those two chances alone had gone in, which they would on any other season he’s topping the list. Not saying again thay the lack of goals is acceptable, demonstrating the fine margins.

“He doesn’t score though” I hear you cry... true. I also hear lots of “he doesn’t score because he can’t be arsed to run, out in any effort or move to create chances” why then is he second only behind salah for missed chances? How did he get in to all those positions if he doesn’t move?

So he’s missed the second most chances, he’s also committed the 4th most number of fouls for a striker... surely he has to be chasing the ball? I mean he has to be moving ans putting in effort by definition doesn’t he?

But wait.. clearances. He has 40!!!!!!! That’s 6 more than 2nd place and a barmy 11 more than 3rd place! We need goals yes... but giving him shit week after week saying he’s not putting in the effort is just ******* wrong.

As I say.. I’m not denying the lack of goals being shocking. I’m sure someone will mention the fee and wages again but my argument is thay he DOES contribute

Contributions to goals is middling despite the lack of goals. If other players finished his key passes he’d have a lot more assists too. He’s got in goal scoring positions more than any comparable striker in the league (not aguero, Kane etc). He has way more clearances than any other striker, he’s also battling more than most given the fouls. These are all provable with stats. The lack of effort shit is 100% proven false so drop it dick heads and get behind the players!
Are you talking about Benteke? I was talking about Sorloth
Old 12-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Semi retired idiot

penguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpenguin7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Winning headers is pointless unless they are directed to a team mate !

Sorloth was able to control the ball and move forward with it.

He needs a chance in a match where we have more than 30% possession, Benteke has had plenty
Old 12-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
The second Chelsea goal was Benteke's fault. He gave a terrible pass toward AWB who was out on the attack, rightly so, because we had good possession and were chasing a goal. Benteke was under no pressure at all and his pass was waist height and behind a moving AWB, who had about a 20% chance of winning it. 6 seconds later it was in the back of the net, 2 nil.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
That’s probably because you’ve not stopped telling them how crap you think he is!
Christ, can you imagine being his mate? Or worse, having Penstone as your next door neighbour?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
The second Chelsea goal was Benteke's fault. He gave a terrible pass toward AWB who was out on the attack, rightly so, because we had good possession and were chasing a goal. Benteke was under no pressure at all and his pass was waist height and behind a moving AWB, who had about a 20% chance of winning it. 6 seconds later it was in the back of the net, 2 nil.
I'm afraid this is true, it was a very poor pass.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Taken the liberty to add in assists.

His lack of goals is unacceptable, totally. But just to show he is contributing and those saying he isn’t are totally wrong ans obsessed the assists out him mid table of those comparable players in contributions.

In the last couple of weeks he’s missed out to a wonder save and a handball stoping his overhead kick going into the top corner. If those two chances alone had gone in, which they would on any other season he’s topping the list. Not saying again thay the lack of goals is acceptable, demonstrating the fine margins.

“He doesn’t score though” I hear you cry... true. I also hear lots of “he doesn’t score because he can’t be arsed to run, out in any effort or move to create chances” why then is he second only behind salah for missed chances? How did he get in to all those positions if he doesn’t move?

So he’s missed the second most chances, he’s also committed the 4th most number of fouls for a striker... surely he has to be chasing the ball? I mean he has to be moving ans putting in effort by definition doesn’t he?

But wait.. clearances. He has 40!!!!!!! That’s 6 more than 2nd place and a barmy 11 more than 3rd place! We need goals yes... but giving him shit week after week saying he’s not putting in the effort is just ******* wrong.

As I say.. I’m not denying the lack of goals being shocking. I’m sure someone will mention the fee and wages again but my argument is thay he DOES contribute

Contributions to goals is middling despite the lack of goals. If other players finished his key passes he’d have a lot more assists too. He’s got in goal scoring positions more than any comparable striker in the league (not aguero, Kane etc). He has way more clearances than any other striker, he’s also battling more than most given the fouls. These are all provable with stats. The lack of effort shit is 100% proven false so drop it dick heads and get behind the players!
He's obviously a "better" footballer than Sorloth - or most of our players. It's not happening for him, right now, is it, though? We've tried nearly everything else, maybe dropping him will be the spark he needs.

We were a lot better after he went off on Saturday.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:36 AM

Uncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Neal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Now is not the time to experiment.

Benteke is a good player although Christ knows what has happened this season. Sørloth looks like he is learning the game and is one for the future - certainly not what we needed in January.

Play all the big guns Saturday - we must win.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:48 PM

bodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Lets give Sorloth a chance he will bust a gut for us, CB can come on when we need the extra striker.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:44 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sorloth did not win one header against Smalling and i thought he had a generally average game. Benteke won headers because he is a better player than Sorloth and not because of anything else.
I was actually a bit surprised when Sorloth came out for the 2nd half and not Benteke. Based on work rate in that 1st half, I thought Benteke showed a bit more desire (not that much mind you, but more than AS).

I wouldn't expect to see anything other than Benteke starting on Saturday now that Wilf is back. Whether Roy starts Sorloth as well remains to be seen although this would mean playing Wilf as a wide midfielder which could negate his effectiveness going forward. Wilf is a fit lad but he's been out for a while and I wouldn't want to see him using up his energy having to cover a full back against Huddersfield.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM
. . . . .- --. .-.. . ...

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
Was surprising to see us start with the 2 'BigGuns' upfront, but I suppose with the lack of Midfield ammo, Roy was shooting blanks.

I was glad Shotgun stayed on and think he should start vs. 'udd. At the moment his partnering marksman is like a Blunderbuss, shooting well wide of the mark...and when passes like that go astray, you know he needs some serious target practice.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 PM

srh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesrh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin7 View Post
Or if a team-mate fails to read the game and fails to make a run...
Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Michael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMichael G : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin7 View Post

Sorloth was able to control the ball and move forward with it.

He needs a chance in a match where we have more than 30% possession, Benteke has had plenty
This is not the time to give people a chance. This the time to play your best players.
Old 13-03-2018, 03:00 AM

Hong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Benteke might on paper be one of our best players but in reality he has been very poor, hard to see someone else doing worse

Quote:
This is not the time to give people a chance. This the time to play your best players.
Old 13-03-2018, 03:00 AM

Hong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHong Kong Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Benteke might on paper be one of our best players but in reality he has been very poor, hard to see someone else doing worse

Quote: