Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 06-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCOOLSTEVE View Post
And it wasnt picked up in any flight data that was looked at after the flights?

I'm guessing it is monitored or looked at....
Some explanation here.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 06-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE View Post
He seemed to try to do the same thing in the previous flight - changing the altitude to 100ft on two occasions - but I imagine he got cold feet. It's just horrendous.
Looks like he was experimenting with the settings, and seeing how the autopilot would handle the inputs, rather than planning on going through with it on that leg. He was also inputting altitude targets of 49,000ft in between the 100ft ones.

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI
Old 26-05-2015, 08:27 PM

racehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login Fantastic that technology saved everyone in this incident .
Presume the Germanwings autopilot was over-ridden .
Old 27-05-2015, 10:18 AM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse-80s View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login Fantastic that technology saved everyone in this incident .
Presume the Germanwings autopilot was over-ridden .
The 'terrain pull up' alert will have automatically sounded even in the Germanwings crash, but it's just a warning, pilots have to take action to avoid collision, rather than just keep the plane on track to fly into a mountain. There's a similar warning if you are too close to another aircraft but it won't stop you possibly hitting it if you don't take appropriate action.

There are systems on an Airbus though that can sense if something is wrong and the aircraft can take it's own avoidance action like preventing a stall, unfortunately if a lunatic wants to fly any aircraft into a mountain nothing can stop that.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 27-05-2015, 10:29 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
With the proviso that this is a friend of friend story (somebody I know is best friends with a pilot) but supposedly some pilots are a little bit wary of the claim that the black-box recorder could pick up the sound of a pilot breathing. Apparently the cockpit of a commercial airliner is a lot noisier than people imagine so to claim that the sound of somebody's normal breathing could be picked up is a little far fetched.

Not sure this adds much to the over-all narrative but I did find it a little disconcerting given the claims made about this tragic incident.
Old 27-05-2015, 10:47 AM
bit scummish really

Radders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
With the proviso that this is a friend of friend story (somebody I know is best friends with a pilot) but supposedly some pilots are a little bit wary of the claim that the black-box recorder could pick up the sound of a pilot breathing. Apparently the cockpit of a commercial airliner is a lot noisier than people imagine so to claim that the sound of somebody's normal breathing could be picked up is a little far fetched.

Not sure this adds much to the over-all narrative but I did find it a little disconcerting given the claims made about this tragic incident.
Isn't it possible in this case, bearing in mind the bloke was just about to murder 150+ people by ramming them into a mountain, that his breathing may have been heavier and picked up by the black box recorder as opposed to the authorities creating this part of the story for no apparent reason?
Old 27-05-2015, 10:51 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radders View Post
Isn't it possible in this case, bearing in mind the bloke was just about to murder 150+ people by ramming them into a mountain, that his breathing may have been heavier and picked up by the black box recorder as opposed to the authorities creating this part of the story for no apparent reason?

Don't know. As I recollect the claim was that the breathing heard was 'normal'.
Old 27-05-2015, 11:17 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
Don't know. As I recollect the claim was that the breathing heard was 'normal'.
If the black box recorder is rigged into the headphones and mics that the pilots use it would be pretty reasonable to pick up breathing?

SaulAlinsky
Old 27-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Has air crash investigation taught you nothing?
Old 27-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Unregistered User

ChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I really don't trust Air France and would never fly with them. I think they have serious problems with the training of their pilots, and I am not just talking about the crash from a few years back.

I am a regular reader of avherald.com, and they seem to have so many "minor" pilot mistakes on a regular basis that could have led to something more. Here is another one from just a few weeks ago To view the link you have to Register or Login Someone in the comments there also quotes many other recent pilot error mistakes by Air France.

Thinks like this never make the news but as someone who flies about 4-8 times a month, I read up on these things a lot and they do factor in making choices about who I fly with.
Old 27-05-2015, 12:38 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
I wouldn't get to upset by that. Pilots cock up, all of them. That's why you have 2 of them. If they both cock up you then have warnings for them to do something about it. Then for some cock ups still not corrected you have systems that will do it themselves!

I don't read the site but I can assure you all airlines everywhere have these 'minor' mistakes all of the time. The reason you get to see these reports is the open safety culture in most airlines means pilots come forward and report themselves so that the causes can be investigated and mitigation put in place to avoid it.

If you fly that often, you've undoubtably been on an aircraft subject to pilot error. You probably know nothing about it because of all the layers of safety put in place to mitigate it. Most of which start with pilots putting their own reports in
Old 28-05-2015, 06:26 AM
Unregistered User

ChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChuckMcBalls came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
I wouldn't get to upset by that. Pilots cock up, all of them. That's why you have 2 of them. If they both cock up you then have warnings for them to do something about it. Then for some cock ups still not corrected you have systems that will do it themselves!

I don't read the site but I can assure you all airlines everywhere have these 'minor' mistakes all of the time. The reason you get to see these reports is the open safety culture in most airlines means pilots come forward and report themselves so that the causes can be investigated and mitigation put in place to avoid it.

If you fly that often, you've undoubtably been on an aircraft subject to pilot error. You probably know nothing about it because of all the layers of safety put in place to mitigate it. Most of which start with pilots putting their own reports in
Oh I know mistakes happen all the time. But I am saying that every one is reported and posted on that website as airlines have to be transparent with their aviation authorities. Its well known that Air France have many, many more avoidable, careless mistakes (runway incursions (including landing on the wrong runway) dangerous approaches, technical mistakes like what I posted than other comparable airlines. These may only be minor and unnoticed to the passengers, but all it takes is one of these combined with some bad luck to cause a horrible accident (again see their crash of a few years ago that was directly caused by the pilot).

There are pilots who post on those forums who directly say they will never fly AirFrance and that in a hierharchy of safety they are way behind all the major Euro/US airlines.
Old 28-05-2015, 06:39 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Our pilot friend also talks scathingly about Air France, but I guess it could just be Chinese whispers.

He has much praise for EasyJet by the way.
Old 28-05-2015, 07:21 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
Our pilot friend also talks scathingly about Air France, but I guess it could just be Chinese whispers.

He has much praise for EasyJet by the way.
Have heard the same about EasyJet.

Unlike their other main budget competitor they pay well, take care of their pilots, very solid with training and management about safety. Pilots are a tight knit community so I would fully trust what they say; again, you can read the popular forums for pilots on the internet and read threads about the same things, with evidence.
Old 28-05-2015, 08:02 AM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yep. He actually worked for EasyJet before getting his job with BA. Said their training was excellent and that they take safety very, very seriously indeed.