Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 19-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think it's totally natural to be worried, and obviously you have to do what you (and no one else) thinks is best for your family. However, I would note that the uncertainty stems purely from the 'newness' of the vaccine rather than any actual adverse data. So what you have to weigh up is the known risk to a pregnant woman who contracts swine flu against a slight lack of safety data compared to other vaccines, but where there is no particular reason to think that adverse reactions will be worse or more widely spread than for other forms of medication.

One simple way to solve your dilemma is to ask yourself - will you feel worse if your wife has the vaccine and something bad happens or if she doesn't and something bad happens?
Again, I would point out that I have read adverse reaction data - both to do with the Thiomersal and to do with adjuvant. I am, yet, in fact to see any evidence that shows these two parts of the vaccine as harmless -to unborn children.

This is where my concern comes from.

My decision as it stands is to hold off from the vaccine for the mother until further data is available. This is based on the evidence I have seen so far. If you have any evidence that shows another view, I would be very pleased to see it. Its why I started the thread.
Old 19-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
Because not having it is a greater risk?
In latter stages of pregnancy the risk of 'flu is significant (due to other complications arising from the size of baby restricting lung space and associated problems of other infection due to that). However, in the case of this mother, she has just entered the second trimester. The risk of 'flu at this stage is less - as far as my research so far suggests.

Again, if anyone has any evidence that shows a different view, I would be very happy to see it!
Old 19-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Banned by Moderators

Biggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB
I have mine coming up on the 3rd December. Was knocked out for a couple of days by the standard flu-jab, go knows what this one is going to be like.

And Luke, good luck in making your decision, seems tricky.
OH Great, just booked my flu and pneumonia jab for tomorrow morning (apparently you cant have flu jab and swine flu jab at the same time)
I thought the thing about flu jab giving you a touch of flu was old womens tales?
"WE LEAVE THE EU MARCH 2019"

Old 19-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
You need to balance risks. So as well as asking for evidence on the effect of the vaccine, you should also seek evidence on the effects on a pregnant woman of getting swine flu (and the likelihood of the her contracting it). Then it's a case of weighing up the alternative risks.

Of course, this is the real world, so that's not as straightforward as I made it sound.

(Edit - posted this before I saw your reply to my other post, Luke.)

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 19-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Irish blood English Heart

OscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just heard on the news that children will now have the jab which means I really do need to think about it.
“You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks like He rushed it.”

Amid concrete and clay, and general decay, nature must still find a way...
Old 19-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned by Moderators

Biggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscillateWildly
Just heard on the news that children will now have the jab which means I really do need to think about it.
How old are you then??

Old 19-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggineagle
I thought the thing about flu jab giving you a touch of flu was old womens tales?
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 19-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Eating Organic Thistles

saul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
why risk it
death
"Thank you, Rabbit. And if anyone says in a Loud Voice 'Bother, it's Eeyore,' I can drop out again."

http://nightmaresinadamagedbrain.wordpress.com
http://saulisshootingforthemoon.wordpress.com
Old 19-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
Because not having it is a greater risk?
why is getting swine flu a greater risk for a healthy person?
Old 19-11-2009, 01:42 PM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Quote:
healthy pregnant person, not the same as healthy unpregnant. Vaccines being offered first to young, old, sick and pregnant.
Old 19-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Eating Organic Thistles

saul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesaul1664 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
death
"Thank you, Rabbit. And if anyone says in a Loud Voice 'Bother, it's Eeyore,' I can drop out again."

http://nightmaresinadamagedbrain.wordpress.com
http://saulisshootingforthemoon.wordpress.com
Old 19-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Palace chic

kitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
I used to get loads of lurgie tho appear to be immune to swine flu.
Old 19-11-2009, 02:10 PM

OscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitticat
I used to get loads of lurgie tho appear to be immune to swine flu.
Don't tempt fate
“You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks like He rushed it.”

Old 19-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Travel gnu called Kylie!

lightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
As far as I'm aware there is still research going on with testing of the vaccines on pregnant women (and children possibly).

IMHO - for an otherwise healthy woman - the risk in the first trimester of the vaccine probably outweighs the risk of swine flu. However in the last trimester this may be the other way round. I do know someone who had swine flu at about 36 weeks, as did her 3 year old daughter. Both fine, and no complications with baby - but it's clear from the stats that the severity is worse in latter stages of pregnancy.

My understanding also is that Celvapan could be less risky Pandemrix for pregnant women due to different ingredients - however Pandemrix is the one being rolled out generally (Celvapan is ok for people with egg allergies for example)

There are a lot of concerns about the vaccine - and whilst I have my normal flu vaccine every year, and not had any problems, I wouldn't, at this stage, be rushing out for the swine flu vaccine. I'm asthmatic so I'm sure will be offered it at some point, although not heard anything yet - but I'll certainly do my research into it first before I'd consider it.

I don't envy your dilemma Luke.
Old 19-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned by Moderators

A schoolgirl has just died in Slough from H1N1 no info on whether other health problems played a part

Old 19-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Palace chic

kitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses growkitticat knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscillateWildly
Don't tempt fate
(touches wood)
Old 19-11-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitticat
(touches wood)
oo-er

Old 19-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight
As far as I'm aware there is still research going on with testing of the vaccines on pregnant women (and children possibly).

IMHO - for an otherwise healthy woman - the risk in the first trimester of the vaccine probably outweighs the risk of swine flu. However in the last trimester this may be the other way round. I do know someone who had swine flu at about 36 weeks, as did her 3 year old daughter. Both fine, and no complications with baby - but it's clear from the stats that the severity is worse in latter stages of pregnancy.

My understanding also is that Celvapan could be less risky Pandemrix for pregnant women due to different ingredients - however Pandemrix is the one being rolled out generally (Celvapan is ok for people with egg allergies for example)

There are a lot of concerns about the vaccine - and whilst I have my normal flu vaccine every year, and not had any problems, I wouldn't, at this stage, be rushing out for the swine flu vaccine. I'm asthmatic so I'm sure will be offered it at some point, although not heard anything yet - but I'll certainly do my research into it first before I'd consider it.

I don't envy your dilemma Luke.
Thanks - you seem to have reached the same conclusions as me, which is nice to know since we've obviously both researched well and come the same viewpoint independently.
Old 19-11-2009, 07:27 PM
hockey mummy

Lizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty airLizzy is fond of sand dunes and salty air
So it's going to be offered to all under 5's - the current evidence is that they are at greater risk of hospitalisation if they contract H1N1 - still fairly low risk but higher than for other age groups.

Are those of you with under 5's going to be getting your child vaccinated. I can't decide, it's a toughie. My son has historically had some respiratory problems associated with his prematurity so I guess it would probably be sensible.

I don't know very much about the side effects or risks of the vaccination though.
Old 19-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Very Senior Member

dougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfdougdeep knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelf
Had mine yesterday. No ill affects but I could murder a bacon sandwich.