Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: MOM
Hennessey 70 14.43%
PVA 10 2.06%
Sakho 8 1.65%
Tomkins 53 10.93%
AWB 192 39.59%
Schlupp 6 1.24%
Jimmy Mac 78 16.08%
Luka 16 3.30%
Andros 41 8.45%
Zaha 7 1.44%
Benteke 3 0.62%
Sorloth 0 0%
Ward 0 0%
Meyer 1 0.21%
Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-08-2018, 05:21 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
I thought AWB was man of the match as he made some wonderful tackles and his attacking play was really good as well. I think against a team like Liverpool, Zaha should be playing on the left of 3 which would enable him to get on the ball more. There wasn't much space through the middle and when at the end he beat Alexander-Arnold and put in a great cross that Meyer nearly got on the end of I thought it was dimension that we had been missing.
Good post and spot on, said to my brother that Wilf should start wide as that’s where he destroys teams imo.
Old 21-08-2018, 07:03 AM

Mr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is here
Hennessey - 7 another solid game
Bissaka - 8 - quality v unlucky with sending off
PvA - 7 played well committed
Sakho - 7 - solid - never a pen
Tomkins - excellent again

Luka - 7 - v good, great free kick
McArthur - 7 great energy.
Townsend - 7 great workrate best effort of the match
Schlupp - 6 - always works hard but more sub than first eleven

Wilf - 6 poor by hi standards but no support from Benteke
Benteke - 3 same old same old, appalling first touch and couldn't even win the flick ons that are so much lauded by his supporters. Not sure where Roy goes with him from here. Rightly subbed.

Ref-2 big club bias at it's best
Old 21-08-2018, 07:21 AM

macstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK PALACE TILL I DIE View Post
Got back from the game and fast forward the recording to see the controversial moments –

PVA’s challenge should never have been given as a foul. Won the ball clean and his follow through was not dangerous in any way.

Penalty was very soft. Still not convinced either way. If I am honest it’s the sort of decision that the “big Clubs” get.

AVB put in another terrific performance. Such a shame about the sending off.

RH interview – Can’t help but love the bloke.

Feel gutted about the result. If anyone needs cheering up then watch and listen to Gary Neville talking about Palace and our performance at the end. Top Man Gary.
Reckons we'll finish 6th or 7th. I nearly fell of my chair
Old 21-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Tomkins was really really good. I cannot recall a mistake.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 21-08-2018, 07:38 AM

alexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is here
Liverpool (home)

Hennessy 7 - Very solid and assured. More of the same please.

AWB 7 - Did extremely well against a tough customer in Mane. Quality going forward. The sending off was one of those things he was inches away from winning the ball. Character building moment.

Tomkins 8 - What can I say about this guy. He is our rock at the back. Does everything so well. He had a great game.

Sakho 6 - He had to defend against Salah, he was too tight but that was one soft pen.

PVA 7 - How he got booked for the challenge on Milner beggars belief. Other than that it was the usual PVA, quality player and one of the best Left backs in the league.

Townsend 8 - Consistent every week, this is what his game always lacked, such a hard worker and how unlucky was he with that sensational effort, if that went in we would have one.

Luka 7 - Unlucky with the free kick, industrious and a presence in the middle.

Mcarthur 7 - Thought he had a good game. He tried to make things happen.

Schlupp 6 - He sometimes looks lethargic to me and takes a while to get into games. Worked hard though.

Zaha 6 - Not one Wilf’s best but think that down to Liverpool defending well against him which is compliment to us. They knew we are dangerous and they adjusted their game.

Benteke 6 - He does get some stick on here. Thought he did okay. Don’t know if he was carrying a knock as his knee was bandaged up when the players left the pitch at the end.

Overall I thought we played well against the 2nd best side in the league. We kept their forward line very quiet, they were swapping places and trying to overload us but we we were disciplined and well drilled. If Townsends effort went in we would have won but they got their soft pen and we had to try and push forward more in the 2nd half which we did extremely well. However that left us open to the counter and when we went down to 10 we were even more open. We still did well with the 10 and Roy was right Van Dijk wiped out Meyer in the box.

We shouldn’t dwell on the bad decisions and take the positives from the game, we went toe to toe against a top side. Let’s pick ourselves up and move onto Watford.

COYP

Last edited by alexcpfc; 21-08-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:06 AM

IanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is here
Liverpool are a very solid side with some great attacking players. However, I still thought a lot of our players needed to produce a bit more tonight particularly offensively. Zaha for me is far more dangerous out wide than down the middle. We are a weaker side without Cabaye and RLC. No one particularly stood out for us. We set up very defensively for a home game. Don’t think there was a stand out MoM for me.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:11 AM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Tomkins was really really good. I cannot recall a mistake.
For months i can't recall one tbh. Always makes a good decision, plays the ball well like a proper footballer and gets vital blocks in. A bargain.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:11 AM

old traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
Hen 8
AWB 8 (minus 1 for sending off, although don’t blame him)
Tomkins 8
Sakho 6.5 (some bizarre some brilliance)
PVA 7
Luka 6
McArthur 7
Townsend 8
Schlupp 5
Zaha 5
Benteke 5

Ward 6
Meyer 6 (promising)

Over all a decent performance but rather impotent up front. Bit worried about our striking options.
Sakho 6.5 bizarre and brilliant. that sums up his game perfectly.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:16 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Had to watch on tv due to being ill...

The pen was harsh but we’d want it for us.
Red card was just about right but Salah did everything he could to make sure of it.

Hennesey looks like a different keeper. Biggest change is that his decision making is much more definite.

Apart from one pass Sakho had a good game, don’t know if he could do much for the penalty. Tomkins was solid.
I didn’t think AWB was quite as good as some made out in Fulham but really proved himself tonight. PVA was good. Think we need both of them to be putting crosses in the box though against teams when we see more of the ball.

Luka and Jimmy were good in the middle. Probably lack some creativity though.
Schlupp was good. Don’t think he’ll start too many but he’s a very useful back up player and works hard.

Townsend worked as hard as usual, and nearly scored a worldie (doesn’t do the cutting in and shooting enough for us tbh), but his first touch and decision making really let’s him down. 3 times his touch contributed to breaking down of moves and his runs tended up block other Palace players off or get in the way.

Zaha didn’t see enough of the ball and passing let him down, but still dangerous.
Benteke. At times looked like a different player from last year. At others even worse and that’s all within 3 touches.!twice in the second half he did brilliant controlling the ball, holding players off, yet final product Beyond woeful.
Sorloth was the wrong sub imo. If CB isn’t getting anything from VD, then he definitely wasn’t going too.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:16 AM

CamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is hereCamberleyEagle Sam the man is here
Hope the ***** are runners up in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
Liverpool are winning **** all this year.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:19 AM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Midfield not good enough technically; no service for Benteke; Zaha too deep.

Hope AWB's head doesn't drop after the sending off because he was superb yet again. I gave Hennessey MOM because I gave AWB the accolade in the Fulham game, and they have been clearly our best 2 players so far. Thought we played ok, penalty very soft. Can see why it was given, but it's one that the big clubs get. Unusual to see Hodgson so irate. It's a shame because it spoilt the game as a contest. We found it hard in the 2nd half, even though we created a few chances.

Benteke is going to come in for criticism, but we are not getting enough quality balls into him. We saw what he can do when he out-jumped VVD and powered the header towards goal. Very few crosses above ankle height for him to get excited about. All the balls were hoofs up to him. We didn't play through the midfield, which was understandable because we don't have enough technical quality there at the moment. Luka is just about ok technically but is not 100% reliable, Andros is technically good, but McArthur and Schlupp are below the standard for where we want to be. Remember last year we had Cabaye and RLC; far superior to Jeff Schlupp for example. Need Meyer in there asap, and we need to play through midfield.

As for Zaha, he was FAR too deep. Against a very good Liverpool side we needed 5 in the midfield. I understand that. But ideally Zaha stays further up and the other striker drops in. The problem is Benteke is not mobile enough to do that. He is a luxury we can't afford against the big teams. It was a nice idea by Roy to put Sorloth on, but he is sadly not up to it at the moment. Not writing him off but it will be a while before he is. Ayew is another option to play up top with Wilf but it'd be hard for us to hold the ball up without a big centre forward. I pin my hopes on Wickham for this season because I think he could drop in: he has the mobility to do so and that would release Zaha further up the pitch. Plus CW can hold the ball up. But it is asking a lot of him to do that after the injury nightmare he has had over the past 2 years. As for how Zaha played, I am liking the way everything is going through him and that he is looking to pop the ball off and not running with it every time. It's a change from last season. I just want to see him in behind more; don't feel he stretched Liverpool's defence enough. Very early days this season though, and Liverpool will be 1st or 2nd so trying not to get too disheartened. On to Watford.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:20 AM

old traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcpfc View Post
That’s the way I look at it. We gave it a good go and we should not feel too dispirited about the result. Once Kouyate and Meyer get in the team I believe we will have more of an edge in midfield. Thought Tomkins, Townsend and Hennessy were outstanding tonight.
And AWB surely.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:25 AM

old geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is here
AWB would have had my vote but cannot legit give after legit red card sadly
Old 21-08-2018, 08:28 AM

TouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is hereTouchyAndalou Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Your joking there’s no way that ref would have given us a pen , if that was palace rather than liverpool
Huh? We were awarded the most penalties in the league last season, and by a fair margin.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:44 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bo Jangles View Post
Hennessey - 7 another solid game
Bissaka - 8 - quality v unlucky with sending off
PvA - 7 played well committed
Sakho - 7 - solid - never a pen
Tomkins - excellent again

Luka - 7 - v good, great free kick
McArthur - 7 great energy.
Townsend - 7 great workrate best effort of the match
Schlupp - 6 - always works hard but more sub than first eleven

Wilf - 6 poor by hi standards but no support from Benteke
Benteke - 3 same old same old, appalling first touch and couldn't even win the flick ons that are so much lauded by his supporters. Not sure where Roy goes with him from here. Rightly subbed.

Ref-2 big club bias at it's best
Roy could have gone two up top by taking a tiring sclup off and moving Wilf out on the left - felt that was the move needed with 65 mins gone
Old 21-08-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
AWB would have had my vote but cannot legit give after legit red card sadly
Err, what else could he have done? just run behind and shout STOP, he deliberately took a red to save a goal, he should be marked UP for his team spirit, not marked down. IMHO
Old 21-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Mr Wrong

Great Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreat Lombardi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace23 View Post
He won three headers.
He didn't give the ball away.
He made some good passes when we were attacking.
He is always looking to make the run into danger areas, unlike Benteke who is completely static and doesn't have a clue where to go.
Give the guy a chance he looks good.
He should start against Watford, Benteke looked clueless and has had more than enough chances better to drop him now and if he scores as a sub then he can get his confidence back.
This. His second touch was a decent flick on, more than Benteke managed all game.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:20 AM

Mr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Roy could have gone two up top by taking a tiring sclup off and moving Wilf out on the left - felt that was the move needed with 65 mins gone
Make you right on that. Wilf left, Sorloth and Ayew up front. In fact when AWB was sent off and Wilf went left he had his best moments. Ifs, maybes etc, but what's done is done.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lombardi View Post
This. His second touch was a decent flick on, more than Benteke managed all game.
I thought Benteke would give van Dyke a hard time but in the end it must have been like a day off for van Dyke.

On the other hand I thought Sorloth although not impressive was a bit better generally better through positioning, won a couple of headers and held the ball for a few seconds. He has a very smooth running style that I detect is already not popular with some fans as it makes him look a bit lazy.

Even so we'd already learned we couldn't go over van Dyke maybe Ayew would have been a better option to go around him.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:46 AM

sydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl.eldridge View Post
Both Benteke and Zaha were poor tonight.

Zahas passing was just not good enough.

Thought the back 4 played well, and so did Henno. Never a pen. Defo a red (but unlucky , another yard and he had him)

Plenty of positives which outweigh the negatives.
Zaha was poor!!! What ******* game were you watching? They could not deal with him all night. Sometimes I just give up....