Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 18-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
Mark Steel

On R5Live on Gabby's show. Nice moment when talking about play-off 2nd leg. Said 'thought I was over it, then every day since I have a moment when the sound of the ball hitting the post comes back to me'. Good on the boringness of the top of the Prem too.
Old 18-05-2008, 11:20 AM
amore sui terrazzi

Sandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSandowneagle is happy as a lark and everything is fine
sits a few rows in front of me in upper tier.

Any views expressed are my own, not of my employer.

It is football banter!
Old 18-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Eye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
...and me
My brother Pc Patrick Dunne - A Tribute (Patrick is the pianist too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfmADrc4fsg
Old 18-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Doting Grandfather

BaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Eye-dee
...and me
In which case must be the same for me as well then!
Old 18-05-2008, 01:13 PM
23 years for 6174 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is here
who is he ? !
Old 18-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Doting Grandfather

BaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
who is he ? !
Presumably To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 18-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Eye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
who is he ? !

To be honest he isn't that well known. I only notice him because he is Palace.
Old 18-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Completed Member

Embassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Really?

I knew and liked his work before I knew he was Palace.

Did you see those historical Documentaries he did? Really quite good.
Old 18-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Bollox to Bloody Bolton

Sussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSussex Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I like the idea of Eye-dee thinking he's well versed on who's well known.
Old 18-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Completed Member

Embassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmbassy No.1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Good point.
Old 18-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
I like the idea of Eye-dee thinking he's well versed on who's well known.
Yes i could have worded that better couldn't I. What I meant was I didn't know him until someone pointed him out at Palace, then I started noticing him on television. Sorry everyone, I hope Mark isn't too offended either.
Old 18-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Doting Grandfather

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye-dee

To be honest he isn't that well known. I only notice him because he is Palace.
Blimey now I have seen that I know exactly who he is. Sits about 2 rows in front of me with a young un and has done since the Upper Tier opened me thinks.
Old 18-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Seen him on Have I got News for you a couple of times, at the Palace comedy night at the Fairfield all those years ago, and in front of me at Watford away this season
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 18-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Smart jacket.
Old 18-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Seen your member

nicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenicebutdim : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
me too, but on t'other side of gangway (two rows behind Baldy)

www.drivinglessonsblackheath.co.uk
Old 18-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Ledley's beard.

SpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpikeyMatt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nice fella.

Cracking column last week in the Indy too.

WIIIILF, WIIIILF WILL TEAR YOU APART...AGAIN!
Old 19-05-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nicebutdim
me too, but on t'other side of gangway (two rows behind Baldy)
Give us a wave next time, I'm two rows behind you
Old 19-05-2008, 04:40 AM

Gooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
Smart jacket.
Green with blue. Mmmmm.
Old 19-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders
Green with blue. Mmmmm.
Had to check your Username - I thought you were GUCCI there for a moment.
Old 19-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Global Thermonuclear War

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Mark Steel: Premier League or proper football? It's no contest

Wednesday, 14 May 2008

What a thrilling season it was in the Premier League, agree all the experts. But surely instead of thrilling, they actually mean pointlessly predictably relentlessly tedious. Almost every club has finished within one or two places of its designated position, in accordance with how rich it is. So the time must have come to reform the rules.

From now on, at the start of August, all the club chairmen should declare how much money they've got, and the league table should be based on the results. This will save the bother of having to play the games.

The Premier League has about six sub-divisions, from which hardly anyone escapes. It could only have been won by one of three teams. Liverpool were certain to be fourth as always, so a disastrous season means coming fourth, but only just. Then comes a batch including Everton, Aston Villa and Tottenham, who compete for fifth to tenth and so on until the three poorest are relegated. Soon a season will end with commentators shrieking: "What an extraordinary year it's turned out to be – who could ever have predicted West Ham would end up eleventh instead of ninth. It just goes to show what an amazingly unpredictable game this is."

They might as well get the teams to rehearse the matches beforehand. Instead of managers, they could have film directors, calling through a megaphone: "OK cut, cut, cut, look Rio love, we've been through this, you miss the first tackle on Michael Owen, then track back to recover and I want to see you glide love, like an angel. Now let's take it from the top."

Then, to make it slightly less predictable, they could get scriptwriters, like in American wrestling. So Nicky Butt will come off the subs bench dressed as Dracula and use a Vulcan neck grip to send Emile Heskey to sleep, which the ref somehow doesn't spot. Or Frank Lampard will grab a microphone as he's about to take a penalty and propose to Fernando Torres, and the two of them will be married by the linesman.

One result of a football club's position being so defined by its wealth is that casual supporters almost all support one of the top three teams. Although they have no connection with the area or affinity with the club, they can buy the shirt and stand in pubs yelling "Go on my son!" But they might as well go round asking people which planet they support, and whatever the answer they can reply: "Well I support Jupiter – and we've won the biggest planet championship four billion years in a row. Can you hear the Venus sing – no-oh, no-oh."

The only way a Premier League club can change position is if it's bought by a devious billionaire, so this brings out the worst in people, such as the Manchester City fans who screamed with delight when their club became the property of a hugely rich and shady ex-prime minister of Thailand.

They'd be just as ecstatic if their club was bought by the Burmese military government, as long as it promised to invest 300 million quid on players. Fans would hail the new board and yell "Fantastic news – the chairman has stolen every penny of the cyclone fund and spent it on a solid central defender."

What the media obsession with the Premier League misses is that most football fans defy this logic and support lower league teams, glorying in their team's wheezing progress or decline, still just about able to identify with the club and its players. For example, at Crystal Palace, the fans have been almost delirious in recent months, not just because of reaching the play-offs but because the manager, Neil Warnock, has put several of the youth players in the side, and it feels like we're cheering on lads from round the corner.

When a club feels part of the community, which in some sense is the case for most teams, the fans can enjoy the irrational misery that comes with failure as a price to be paid for the irrational jubilation that accompanies odd moments of success. And then it's fun; ridiculous, heart-stopping, tearful, manic fun, and with none of the arrogance that comes with supporting a team that can't come lower than third.

There was such a moment in Palace's last league match of the season, which we had to win to ensure a place in the play-offs. Incredibly, Palace were winning 5-0, so 10 minutes from the end there was an announcement that play-off tickets would be on sale immediately after the game. And all around me I heard people saying, "Hang on, don't tempt fate, we haven't won yet."

That's the fretful, humble, unpredictable joy of supporting a proper team. And that, your honour, is why, after last night's play-off against Bristol City, according to the result I was a) drunkenly setting off fireworks from the roof of the library, or b) morosely sat in the park throwing rocks at a duck.