Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: As of 05/02/17 who should be first choice Goalkeeper
1 Julian Speroni 311 26.22%
13 wayne Hennessey 178 15.01%
30 Steve Mandanda 561 47.30%
Another 136 11.47%
Voters: 1186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-02-2015, 12:23 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I think I actually said Forster made a lot of mistakes. I made no direct comparison, but doubtless you will soon correct me if I am wrong
Can't be arsed to converse with someone so thick as to not realise that saying a keeper makes a lot of mistakes means they are not a very good keeper? For the other poster who said a lot of people thought Jules might play for Argentina in the summer shows the delusional feelings as none of them were Argintinian. I really wish Pardew would just do the right thing and then we could actually rate Hennessy on what he did on the field rather than blind hatred of being a threat to Speroni. And Dimbo, I and most sane posters on here actually rate players on performance rather than reputation. Jules was far better this time a year ago when he knew he had competition. Today he is a shadow of that player and fading fast.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:28 AM

Braintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Kicking is not long, and usually high but overall not too many distribution problems today!

He came to collect several balls on the ground and made a few regulation saves

Performance on goal 2 has been debated but Ospina also had difficulty collecting the ball and made a few odd decisions

Overall, a decent performance from Speroni

Speroni has been spoiling my enjoyment of Palace games for a while now. And this is a keeper that I remember arguing for several years ago saying he is the best we have ever had (and I remember Martyn well)

Unfortunately, since the start of last season in particular his form has been on the wane. We should have replaced him last January. I think Pulis recognised this and that's why he brought in Hennessey. That obviously had an effect on Speroni because he did improve. Sadly this season he has been playing at the same low standard he was at the start of the last. The simple fact is that he is costing us points nearly every game. The one thing he always had going for him, his shot stopping, has all but deserted him. This has left a shell of a man who was once a Palace great in-between the posts. It seems obvious to me that the defence has no confidence in him. Our centre-halfs are having to deal with crosses that other teams would be happy to leave to the keeper. There have been many occasions that you would expect crosses or weak shots would have been left to the keeper only for Dann or Delaney to have felt the need to head them out themselves. Speroni's poor form is affecting the whole defence.

I am still continually amazed at the blind loyalty shown to a player who's performances are so poor. The next time I want to see Speroni in the starting line up will be his testimonial match which I will of course be attending to thank him for th egood times he had at the club. For me though, that doesn't include the last two seasons.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:34 AM

BW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBW_Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Seeing the goal again...yea he really should've done better. Should've pushed it pretty much anywhere bar where he put it.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:46 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braintree Eagle View Post

Speroni has been spoiling my enjoyment of Palace games for a while now. And this is a keeper that I remember arguing for several years ago saying he is the best we have ever had (and I remember Martyn well)

Unfortunately, since the start of last season in particular his form has been on the wane. We should have replaced him last January. I think Pulis recognised this and that's why he brought in Hennessey. That obviously had an effect on Speroni because he did improve. Sadly this season he has been playing at the same low standard he was at the start of the last. The simple fact is that he is costing us points nearly every game. The one thing he always had going for him, his shot stopping, has all but deserted him. This has left a shell of a man who was once a Palace great in-between the posts. It seems obvious to me that the defence has no confidence in him. Our centre-halfs are having to deal with crosses that other teams would be happy to leave to the keeper. There have been many occasions that you would expect crosses or weak shots would have been left to the keeper only for Dann or Delaney to have felt the need to head them out themselves. Speroni's poor form is affecting the whole defence.

I am still continually amazed at the blind loyalty shown to a player who's performances are so poor. The next time I want to see Speroni in the starting line up will be his testimonial match which I will of course be attending to thank him for th egood times he had at the club. For me though, that doesn't include the last two seasons.
Yep, that puts it the way more and more are seeing it. Time to stop being sentimental.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:57 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
Can't be arsed to converse with someone so thick as to not realise that saying a keeper makes a lot of mistakes means they are not a very good keeper? For the other poster who said a lot of people thought Jules might play for Argentina in the summer shows the delusional feelings as none of them were Argintinian. I really wish Pardew would just do the right thing and then we could actually rate Hennessy on what he did on the field rather than blind hatred of being a threat to Speroni. And Dimbo, I and most sane posters on here actually rate players on performance rather than reputation. Jules was far better this time a year ago when he knew he had competition. Today he is a shadow of that player and fading fast.
Fast talker, (non listener) and of course you weren't able to correct me
Old 22-02-2015, 12:57 AM
CPFC 4 Life, now in NY.

VSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineVSEagle215 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Hennessey is not better than Speroni. If or when he gets a run of games he will be found out.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:59 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braintree Eagle View Post

Blah blah blah, what was poor today apart from the debatable issues on the 2nd goal?
Old 22-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Just seen the goals. Sorry Tim but Jules should have done A LOT better with their second goal. Shocking in fact, I would go as far as to say he should be gathering that ball with ease.

As an aside, it is something I have noticed before, but Jules never really goes for penalties. He always sorts of flops down. You often see keepers even when they go the wrong way, go full length and dive across the goal.

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 22-02-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 22-02-2015, 01:02 AM

Danny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is here
How can anyone defend Speroni? It really is shocking goal keeping.
Old 22-02-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
I feel so dirty, agreeing with you twice in a matter of minutes.
Old 22-02-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Fast talker, (non listener) and of course you weren't able to correct me
You really are a fu*kwit aren't you?
Old 22-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Morally devoid scum

danpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
A few people have said to me that he can't be blamed for their second. Surely a PL keeper should be putting that out for a corner, not right into the middle for Giroud to tap in? It's happening every match as well, it's like we start every match 1-0 down

Any keepers we should have a go for in the summer?
Old 22-02-2015, 01:23 AM
Vast slug.

Latvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is here
Sadly, he needs dropping. Depending on a) Hennesey's form and fitness and b) if a win vs. Swansea gains us a league place plus c) if we are mathematically safe. Jules shouldn't play until our last home match of the season. Where he will get a standing ovation even if he lets in 20 and Murray nets 21, Speroni WILL get MOM!!!!

A) is the key. Wayne must do something right to keep being picked for Wales but there is no guarantee he will be better than Jules.

That said, everytime a cross comes in I think 'Hennesey would have that'. Each time we have potential counter attack I think 'one of our wingers would be pegging down the wing from a quick throw/quick by now...'

He has stuck by us through administration and is clearly a lovely bloke (most gks are nutters possesed) but if we aren't careful we are going to see him ending his career here the same way it began by costing us dearly a la Kevin ruddy Campbell! Especially if we keep urging our defence to play football.

Last edited by Latvian; 22-02-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 22-02-2015, 01:25 AM

PalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceRichard came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One further point. Even IF Hennessey is not better than what we believe to be an in form Speroni, he surely is worth a chance as an alternative to Julian in this form.
Old 22-02-2015, 01:33 AM
Vast slug.

Latvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpalace07 View Post
Any keepers we should have a go for in the summer?
This is an occasion where I hope Pardew resists the temptation to buy an African player!
Old 22-02-2015, 01:51 AM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Blah blah blah, what was poor today apart from the debatable issues on the 2nd goal?
He had nothing else to do apart from the one save from welbeck he pushed back into the oath of giroud. It was poor keeping. Can't argue with that. I love jules but he is becoming more and more prone to mistakes.. Time for a change I'm afraid
Old 22-02-2015, 01:51 AM

CPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS MurrayCPFC2010ANDON FFS Murray
One thing that people may forget to remember when stating Hennesey doesn't inspire confidence etc. Speroni didn't at the beginning either, but look what happened to him.
Old 22-02-2015, 02:02 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post
He had nothing else to do apart from the one save from welbeck he pushed back into the oath of giroud. It was poor keeping. Can't argue with that. I love jules but he is becoming more and more prone to mistakes.. Time for a change I'm afraid
Not saying he was particularly busy but he probably made at least 3 or 4 sliding takes under pressure and a couple of easier collects, plus a couple of regulation saves.

He also spread himself very well causing Alexis to clip it wide when through on goal in about the 60th minute

His distribution was quite good

You say the only thing he did was bad, but in reality you have forgotten the rest of his game, which he accomplished without any question of error

Last edited by Timbo; 22-02-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old 22-02-2015, 07:43 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Just seen highlights, poor goal keeping from Jules for the second goal, pushing the ball into the path of an opposition player seems to be happening too often of late. If you're not a keeper who can dominate his area and claim crosses, and he isn't one, then you need to do the other parts of keeping well, and at the moment he isn't.
Old 22-02-2015, 09:34 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Jules parries a shot and an opposition player gets to the ball first. The Arsenal goalkeeper parries a shot and one of his defenders gets to the ball first. One could argue that we lost because Glenn hit the post with his header when he should have scored and Dwight should have done better with his one chance - a clear header.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Closed Thread