Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: Hide and seek
He hides too well we will never find him 383 47.52%
He's great! 263 32.63%
Moo! 160 19.85%
Voters: 806. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-08-2018, 03:29 AM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is herered&blue_moomin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse-80s View Post
I agree we were lacking on the wings today but overall Benteke has been poor for ages , even when we play well and pump balls into the box he misses .
Because they come from deep. We very rarely cross the ball from the byline anymore and that's Benteke's strength headed goals. He nearly got one today. Meyer and his passing accuracy might help with this we'll have to see. However if we keep playing this way then Conner should be playing as he's better dribbling and manipulating the ball and he's probably got more movement (even it can be headless chicken at times).
Old 21-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
We played some the of best football I have seen at palace with Benteke on the bench. The front three of Wilf, RLC and Townsend were brilliant at times. I’d like to see that system with Ayew instead of RLC. We are not going to be focusing our whole strategy on tossing the ball in the box hoping for Benteke to head it.
Was that the end of last season?
Old 21-08-2018, 07:17 AM

Mr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is here
Another woeful match, time is running out for him and not before time. His first touch and control are pub football level and with a centre back good in the air he offers absolutely nothing. He contributed one decent header the whole game. Rightfully subbed, Roy is losing patience.
Old 21-08-2018, 07:40 AM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
He was totally isolated against potential champions that ran us ragged which stopped us being able to play in formation and string much together.
I'm as peed off with Benteke last season as anyone, but it's unfair to judge Benteke or Sorloth on this game. The next games should let us play a more settled game, judge them then.
Old 21-08-2018, 07:45 AM

Swoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
He was totally isolated against potential champions that ran us ragged which stopped us being able to play in formation and string much together.
I'm as peed off with Benteke last season as anyone, but it's unfair to judge Benteke or Sorloth on this game. The next games should let us play a more settled game, judge them then.
You really shouldn't be on here, you talk far too much sense!
Old 21-08-2018, 07:51 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
That is fair. Van Dyke marked him out of the game and was given MOTM by most pundits.
Couldn't see the point of Sorloth coming on, though. Like for like, really. Surely Ayew is more mobile than either of those and to all those who say he wasn't match fit, then why was he on the bench ?
Old 21-08-2018, 07:59 AM

IanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post

This really is close to being our best ever. Appreciate it. Please. Because it will pass you by. And I'd include myself in that with my criticism of WH.

Clearly the Premier League is a different beast to the early 90’s but that team last night with Wright and Bright up top rather than Benteke and Zaha (with Zaha playing on the right wing) would be a miles better side. I also think Thomas and Gray are a stronger central midfield duo than we currently have (now that Cabaye has gone) and Thorn and Young are as good if not better than Sakho and Tomkins. And Martyn is miles better than Hennessey.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Clearly the Premier League is a different beast to the early 90’s but that team last night with Wright and Bright up top rather than Benteke and Zaha (with Zaha playing on the right wing) would be a miles better side. I also think Thomas and Gray are a stronger central midfield duo than we currently have (now that Cabaye has gone) and Thorn and Young are as good if not better than Sakho and Tomkins. And Martyn is miles better than Hennessey.
No way Thorn is in the same class as either of our centre halves. Thorn and Young were offside trap stoppers ( good ones ). Both our centre halves are proper footballers.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:14 AM

wapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewapping eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
We played some the of best football I have seen at palace with Benteke on the bench. The front three of Wilf, RLC and Townsend were brilliant at times. I’d like to see that system with Ayew instead of RLC. We are not going to be focusing our whole strategy on tossing the ball in the box hoping for Benteke to head it.

I completely agree. As much as I want to give Benteke a chance, we were much better at keeping possession and counter attacking with Wilf, RLC and Townsend up front

With Ayew for RLC and Meyer for Cabaye I think that formation would be even better than last season
Old 21-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapping eagle View Post
I completely agree. As much as I want to give Benteke a chance, we were much better at keeping possession and counter attacking with Wilf, RLC and Townsend up front

With Ayew for RLC and Meyer for Cabaye I think that formation would be even better than last season
It looked pretty but we never threatened the goal with that front three IIRC
Old 21-08-2018, 08:21 AM

Cpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCpfcbob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hate to say it and drag up the past but Murray was a far far better player
Old 21-08-2018, 08:21 AM
thanks for coming

laggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sorloth more of a threat
Old 21-08-2018, 08:22 AM
thanks for coming

laggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpfcbob View Post
Hate to say it and drag up the past but Murray was a far far better player

Agree board screwed up there
Old 21-08-2018, 08:27 AM

old geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudds Eagle View Post
I don't get the problem everyone has with his performance tonight. Wilf was playing so much deeper tonight and every time he got the ball it seemed like an age before anyone got near him. His hold up play was great, he had a good header saved from a corner and he was completely isolated up front. There were some really poor passes out wide and that f**king shot was awful but he had a solid game. Not spectacular but he didn't do a lot wrong either.
Hi hold up play was adequate
His distribution was disappointing
Was occasionally indecisive
Sorloth looked more like a real centre forward
Old 21-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
No way Thorn is in the same class as either of our centre halves. Thorn and Young were offside trap stoppers ( good ones ). Both our centre halves are proper footballers.
Yep, but we weren't a footballing side in the 90's. A strong direct team with 2 excellent strikers, who fitted into our 'style' perfectly.
Not a team for the purists, but who cared, we still saw plenty of goals. Not really a weakness in that team, IMO.
An int'l class keeper, behind a very solid back 4, a powerful central midfield, 2 wingers who fired in great crosses, and 2 goalscorers, up top.
And for the record, whilst I agree that Tomkins is excellent, Sakho just makes too many careless mistakes, for me - Yes, the penalty was soft, but he did exactly the same, as he did at Fulham, where he got away with one - got much too close to the attacker. Giving him the opportunity to fall dramatically.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:34 AM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudds Eagle View Post
I don't get the problem everyone has with his performance tonight. Wilf was playing so much deeper tonight and every time he got the ball it seemed like an age before anyone got near him. His hold up play was great, he had a good header saved from a corner and he was completely isolated up front. There were some really poor passes out wide and that f**king shot was awful but he had a solid game. Not spectacular but he didn't do a lot wrong either.
^^^ SPOT ON. We had a real disconnect up front with Zaha dropping into midfield as it isolated Benteke. Also we didn't play through midfield enough so most of the balls to Benteke were hoofs from the keeper/centre backs at head height. That's not to criticise the midfield because we all know Jimmy Mac is not as technically good as Cabaye and Schlupp is not as good as RLC so actually they played it right. They have other qualities, but it means more hoof ball. A real shame, especially as the full-backs are very willing to join in as an attacking force.

We are weaker than the XI at the end of last season. It's a fact. We need to get Meyer in asap to at least reduce the gap.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:45 AM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin View Post
Because they come from deep. We very rarely cross the ball from the byline anymore and that's Benteke's strength headed goals. He nearly got one today. Meyer and his passing accuracy might help with this we'll have to see. However if we keep playing this way then Conner should be playing as he's better dribbling and manipulating the ball and he's probably got more movement (even it can be headless chicken at times).
CW is basically the conclusion I've come to as well on the Ratings & Review thread for when we play the big teams. But no blame attached to Benteke: he simply doesn't have the mobility when we play against a Top 2 side as Liverpool are because Zaha is having to drop deeper. If we had CW fit (big ask) he would have the mobility to drop in and Zaha could run off him.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:34 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
Think people are being harsh as Van Dijk was phenomenal and he won't be up against him every week. I thought he did ok.
Me too. He made a few very bad decisions but in general he gives us an outlet when we are under pressure. I am not saying he had a good game and of course the lack of goals has been an issue but I last night he did OK.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Lost count of the times Van Dyke nipped in front of Benteke to win the ball.

As with last season he is rooted to the spot and only reacts instead of anticipating things, never on his toes.
Old 21-08-2018, 09:59 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Don't agree

Sorloth looks a bit out of his depth, but still had more success against VVD in the air and held the ball up better than Benteke, who was just as poor as he was last season
Agreed.