Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: Hide and seek
He hides too well we will never find him 383 47.52%
He's great! 263 32.63%
Moo! 160 19.85%
Voters: 806. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2016, 01:41 AM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-leg View Post
Pards comments that Mandanda let eveybody know in no uncertain terms that he expects them to jump next time, tells you everything that you need to know about him. He is in charge of his defence - as well he should be!!
Shhh don't tell Payet.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:40 AM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
Don't you wish your striker was BEN-TE-KE.

Don't ya.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Although I understand why people reach for it, I am not sure the label of 'old fashioned centre forward is a good one or fair to Benteke.

For one, I think most people hear that as a negative, not a positive, for two, I think it's seriously underselling him. I don't remember the 'old fashioned centre forwards' having the sort of touch and creative skill that he has displayed. I don't remember many scoring 1 in 2 either - certainly not at Palace !!!

The problem is that because this sort of lazy pundits description of him sticks.

On the latter I have only just heard Carragher's post match analysis of Benteke and he really is a d**k isn't he. Before, during and after, it was really sticking in his throat to acknowledge anything positive about him. if Liverpool player had scored that goal he would have been droning on about it for weeks. I have always found him useless as a pundit and almost embarrassing alongside Gary Neville. Even Jamie Redknapp makes him look awful.

Also interesting to hear Henry talk about him and Lukaku and clearly show how Liverpool manager and team mates failed to leverage him. Showing the positions and timing of his runs and basically how the players simply failed to get the ball into him.

CB is better off out of there and their missed opportunity is hopefully the springboard for something special for us. If we can start to get the ball into his feet too he will score a hatful for us.
I think football has improved in many ways due to fitness, better pitches, healthier lifestyles etc. but I think you are underselling the "old fashioned centre forward". The idea that all targetmen in the past were all like Trevor Aylott is a big misnomer and unfair to some of the great centre forwards of the past, many of whom would be successful in today's football due to not only their strength and aerial ability but their football brains etc.

Trying to wrack my brains if I was to compare Benteke to a striker from the past it would probably be Cyrille Regis, Graeme Sharp or Arsenal's Alan Smith, all technically good footballers but strong and great in the air (and I'm sure there are probably better examples too). I guess the reason these types of strikers aren't around anymore is because football is more about possession now than the long ball, but in recent times Andy Carroll has proved how devastating he can be when he manages to stay fit, and not long ago Peter Crouch was very effective.

Not only that but, as we've recently discovered, possession football isn't actually the answer to successful football.

Benteke is clearly a great centre forward who has fitted in perfectly to our 2 winger system, but to try and imply he's better than all centre forwards of old is really not fair or true.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Best Palace goalscoring header of the ball since Mark Bright. And then some.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 07-10-2016, 07:52 AM

Payroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog View Post
Parish said it was the Yanks who pushed to get Benteke.

They deserve some credit for showing that ambition.
They won't fvck about. Their investment is straight down the toilet if we get relegated.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:57 AM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
To think the fan base were split on who they would rather have between Benteke and Beranhio.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:58 AM

jeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejeffers1960 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He needs a song quickly .... the Glen Murray scoring goals for Palace one works well .. HF get it going against West Ham please scoring goals for Palace
Ben tek e , Ben tek e
Old 07-10-2016, 08:16 AM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Not that it's like Palace fans to over-react but Benteke has played 7 games, scored 3 goals and already is acclaimed to be the best striker we've ever had.

I guess it shows how starved we've been of decent strikers in recent times.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Charlton(R)

Bobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBobsta was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
He's quite clearly the best striker we've ever had
Old 07-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Tbh i don't see what Luksku and batshitwhathisname are doing that make them above Benteke in Belgiums side.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:42 AM
Le Crystal Chamakh

mroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is heremroakley9 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Tbh i don't see what Luksku and batshitwhathisname are doing that make them above Benteke in Belgiums side.
Lukaku's scored 5 league goals already this season fam
Old 07-10-2016, 08:44 AM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Lukaku is class and already has 5 in 6 this season.

Not sure about Michy though
Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 AM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
I'd be quite happy if Christian never leaves the bench. A nice rest and he comes back to us uninjured and raring to go.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
Shhh don't tell Payet.
Put a player on the line in that case. Simples.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:58 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Glad he is though, less chance of him getting injured for Belgium.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 AM

dowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is here
Call me selfish but I am always happy when our guys are good enough to get picked, but then never start. As people have already mentioned, less chance of them getting injured.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:49 AM

sylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal_eagle View Post
Don't you wish your striker was BEN-TE-KE.

Don't ya.

That works and simple
Old 07-10-2016, 09:51 AM

sylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

The fact that lukaku is Everton and Martinez is ex Everton probably has something to do with it
Old 07-10-2016, 09:53 AM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Glad he is though, less chance of him getting injured for Belgium.
Tbf it seems like our players have more chance of getting injured in training nowadays than on international duty
Old 07-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Wandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWandle_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Put a player on the line in that case. Simples.
LOL. Then every player between the goal and the free kick would be onside.