Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Closed Thread

Old 21-08-2018, 10:31 AM
JD

Trilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Podding tonight with Troy Townsend if anyone has any questions for him/the panel?
Old 21-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Folks, we have a bit of news. The extraaa post-match pods will be Patreon-only from Sunday.

This is due to various reasons, but basically we got to the point where without some support from listeners we can't continue doing them.

Obviously there is no obligation whatsoever to sign up, but if you do we would really appreciate it and have lots of cool stuff planned for future post-match pods.

The main hour-long pods will remain free btw!

Thanks!

JD
Would it not be better asking for donations/sponsorship for the whole thing?

Have you thought about asking the club for any one that might want to cover the cost?
Old 21-08-2018, 11:41 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
FYP Podcast - 2017/18 Season

I agree, surely charging people should be the last option as you will be massively restricting your listeners. Surely there are enough fans on here/Twitter/instagram/FB to get a sponsor to cover the costs. You have access to thousands of Palace fans (which probably own their own business too) to reach out to just get one sponsor, if not many.

Last edited by andyocpfc; 21-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 21-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
How much do you guys need?
Old 21-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Podding tonight with Troy Townsend if anyone has any questions for him/the panel?
Is Andros happy with the bum fluff on his head? Did he get the transplant in Turkey?

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 21-08-2018, 12:19 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
If last week was the wedding, is this the funeral or are we somewhere in the middle this time?
Old 22-08-2018, 11:30 AM
JD

Trilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks everyone for your questions, pod 261 is here To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 22-08-2018, 11:56 AM
former Palace Guard

viking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I've said similar here and elsewhere but it gets ignored. It seems like one of the 'team' have come up with this idea and it has been agreed not to engage us on the subject. It seems they think we are being negative or maybe we're not one of the 'in crowed' of posters to Twitter, social media and whatnot?

It is a shot in the foot. No offence to them but the product needs to be a lot more polished than it is to ask for payment. Bigger companies like The Sun, NYT and so on went behind a paywall and it had the reverse effect and have removed it.

A better option, as you mentioned, is sponsorship but if needs be try and get interviews with players, proper interviews, and make them pay to listen.

It seems they don't really know what they are doing yet there is help in their listenership. I, for example, have a lot of experience in this field (websites, multimedia, monetising, etc. albeit in Sweden where the podcast market is the fastest growing market right now) and I'm sure there are other's out there too.

I admit I don't see eye to eye with a couple of the FYP team but if asked for my opinion I would give them an adult response with sound advice, I don't take Palace disagreements personally.

That aside, maybe they should have done the absolute fundamental thing before implementing this strategy. Market research.

The move has also been packaged (described) in a cackhanded way, poorly written and explained which came across badly.

I have two pet peeves in life. Injustice and bullsh*t and this usually gets me into silly discussions where I am defending an opinion I don't 100% believe myself just because I'm offering balance.

The Patreon explanation smelt of b/s. I would have and could have written something for them which explains things in a much better way.

In any case, if any of them are reading this and want to contact me, you know my Twitter name (same as here) feel free to DM me and I'm happy to help, for free.
I've enjoyed reading your suggestions on how to make a beery Palace podcast 'better'. Can you please now contact the Referees Association to see if you can get them to be better?
Old 22-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking's no1 View Post
I've enjoyed reading your suggestions on how to make a beery Palace podcast 'better'. Can you please now contact the Referees Association to see if you can get them to be better?
More beer

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 22-08-2018, 12:07 PM

Harry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is here
Quote:
If you are at the games already, have the equipment already and have the podcast hotel account already, how does it cost you to produce the podcast?

I might be a little pedantic but the Patreon page comes across as 'hey, it's expensive going to games - oh and producing the podcast - help pay for me to go.'

I don't have a problem with podcasts raising funds via whatever means but personally I would only pay for podcasts that take time to prepare, script, research and so on rather than just 3 or 4 guys talking about their musings on a game.

I wish you well but if I were you rather than alienate some of your listeners I'd move to a podcast hotel that inserts adverts into the stream to raise revenue.

I'm sure you have thought about this but in my experience of setting up websites, podcasts and whatnot for other people having (for want of a better word) a paywall doesn't work as people are waking up to (see New York Times model versus The Guardian's).

Good luck.
I dip in occasionally to the podcasts, which are great by the way, but I thought this post was excellent and think a response would help me understand why you are now charging for what is essentially a half hour post match chat?
Old 22-08-2018, 01:19 PM

victor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minevictor43 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I think they've explained it enough, I hate the modern day view where people feel that anyone doing anything publically is duty bound to answer any and all of their questions.

Even if they put no reasoning behind it, it is completely up to them to ask for some money for the Podcasts. If you don't want to pay, don't pay. They still do the weekly one. The post match one is relatively new anyway.

As they said, doing the post match one requires them to go to the games, which is obviously a privilege, but it means they miss out on other work and spend money doing it.

Or follow my twitter https://twitter.com/AJMH_
Old 22-08-2018, 01:36 PM

Harry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is hereHarry Holmesdale Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor43 View Post
I think they've explained it enough, I hate the modern day view where people feel that anyone doing anything publically is duty bound to answer any and all of their questions.

Even if they put no reasoning behind it, it is completely up to them to ask for some money for the Podcasts. If you don't want to pay, don't pay. They still do the weekly one. The post match one is relatively new anyway.

As they said, doing the post match one requires them to go to the games, which is obviously a privilege, but it means they miss out on other work and spend money doing it.
Modern day view? It was just a question from a curious potential punter
Old 22-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Danger Zone

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your questions, pod 261 is here To view the link you have to Register or Login
You didn’t answer my questions above.
Old 22-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is hereScifo Sam the man is here
The Pardew talk was very interesting. I've been largely a Pardew apologist/fanboy, that's the first time I've heard someone speak first hand about his time at Palace rather than Chinese whispers.

It might be time to disassemble my Pardew shrine in the front room.
Old 22-08-2018, 05:02 PM

BillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifo View Post
The Pardew talk was very interesting. I've been largely a Pardew apologist/fanboy, that's the first time I've heard someone speak first hand about his time at Palace rather than Chinese whispers.

It might be time to disassemble my Pardew shrine in the front room.
Yeah interesting to hear Yannick was really unhappy with Pardew as well.
Old 22-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Stats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStats74 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great pod with Troy. Not sure Andros will be happy with how much his dad revealed about his time with Pardew. But it gave an insight to the camp (now and then).
Old 22-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Vicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVicmo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I thought it was fascinating that Andros has had a big injury somewhere (I wasn't aware) and lost his pace meaning he has had to adapt his game. It answers a lot of question I have had of him since he signed and it will be a good thing for Townsend in the long run though as it should allow him to extend his career later on.

Big fan of Townsend, his work-rate is phenomenal and he seems to have adopted Chamakh's running style (kind of runs like a motorbike as in he leans over whilst completely straight backed) which brings back great memories of another player who whilst didn't score as many as he probably should but who worked his socks off and seemed to 'get' the club and its identity. Great to see and love the podcasts btw, much more slick than the other one.
Old 23-08-2018, 11:29 AM
gastros/kids/delis/olives

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
Quote:
But I suspect FYP might think that is too much work?
FYP has taken thousands of hours of work over a period of over a decade. If you want to start a fanzine of your own, then by all means feel free to do so. With respect, when you accuse people of bad faith in providing you with an explanation then it cannot be a surprise whatsoever that you get no engagement thereafter. Your feedback has been noted.
Old 23-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
We do live in weird times, where people are expected to apologise for asking to get paid for work.
Old 23-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
To start charging for something that was previously was free seems like a tough sell to me. I liked the post match pods but not as much as the main ones - So simply wont bother with the post match ones from now on. Just being honest on that btw - Be interesting to see who does listen going forward.

With regards to the pod in general I always look forward to them - And the one with special guests are often brilliant. Hearing about the Pardew/Bolasie/Townsend from Troy situation was great - Hearing these tit bits from those actually involved it worth thousands of twitter tweets or BBS posts.

One point that is key for me - The standard of the panel is very high - I cant even think of a guest who didn't have a lot to offer and over the years there has been loads of people on there thinking back. The one issue the pod has (and I have always felt this) is that its far better when Palace are struggling or have issues - When we doing well is not quite as entertaining. That's reflective of Palace in general I think - When you think back to the end of last season it was a glorious spell on the pitch and thouroughly rewarding but my working weeks weren't spent worrying or fretting about Palace - It was just a case of that was good wasn't it! I bet the Man City podcast are proper shit .
Closed Thread