Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: Are you happy with transfer business ( Just for James)
Yes 435 82.08%
Not Sure 45 8.49%
No 50 9.43%
Voters: 530. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Natus Londini ad austrum

Aquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is hereAquila_17 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey View Post
... Even better we've kept Wilf and Roy. We've had a great SETTLED pre-season... Definitely excited about the season. COYP!!
Agreed!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:19 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
I was critical of the past two windows, especially how light they left us in the GK & striker roles so adding Guaita, Ayew & Wickham to those positions is pleasing.

I still worry about injuries to Wilf, Benteke, Mama & Luka but maybe that simply goes to show how good they are when they're fit & firing.

It's a Yes from me.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Significant Udder

Direwolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
Yes for the squad
No for the first XI that is now weaker
I'm not convinced about that. I believe that we have brought in suitable replacements. Cabaye is the only first XI player that we have really lost isn't he?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperado View Post
We have kept all of our under contract Premier League quality players and I'm happy with that.

We will miss Cabaye and RLC but we have brought in four players that wouldn't worry me if they started in the first eleven so happy with that too

If we can move some players that won't feature in the Premier League match day squad out on loan by the end of the month it should make space for promising youngsters to have opportunities
How we handle the non match day squad players in the next few weeks will be interesting. The observers of the youngsters doubt that players like Kirby are ready for more than cameos and maybe Carabo Cup, so the role or not of these fringe players will be interesting...we have 26 senior pros on the books so one won’t be in the squad, and we could end up with less than 25 named or remaining after the loan window closes (not sure of the timing of those now)...

Souare - at best 3rd choice LB, needs to play to prove fitness, and will struggle to get game time
Puncheon - cover in the middle but again very few game opportunities likely to come his way
Kai Kai - behind several players for a wide spot, never shone at Champ level, surely time has run out?
Innis - same as Kai Kai but probably more so

Then the two conundrums.

Reidewald - clearly has potential but seemingly ok to be sold if needed and on a high wage. Also our best cover DM probably.

Williams - so many false starts and injuries, but a proven international at his best and done well in pre season, also the only cover attaching CM that we have that still has pace.

Personal view, Souare, Kai Kai, Innis and one of Punch, Jairo or JW will leave before the end of the month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 09-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Glad All Over Forever

Stockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is hereStockport_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey View Post
I'm happy. We've largely replaced the first team players we lost which is key and added a potential first team keeper which is great.

Even better we've kept Wilf and Roy. We've had a great SETTLED pre-season and we'll start on Saturday with a strong well drilled team. We should come out of the blocks at top speed for change.

I've also been very impressed with how well the team has been playing, second half of last season and through pre-season. We defend well, which we've seen before under Pulis and Sam, but Roy has us attacking more fluidly than I can remember from a Palace team. We have danger men all over the park now and once up to speed I expect Ayew to add to that.

The big question mark is Max. Is he the wonder kid we're all hoping he is and if so how will that effect our play? I'm hoping he's a younger Cabaye with the same defensive bite and a touch more forward passing/movement. I'm also curious where in the midfield he'll play. I'm assuming, when are all are ready, in center with Ayew playing in the RLC position.

Definitely excited about the season. COYP!!
It was about this time Pulis left so we've not kept him yet SP & RH having a showdown right now about why Crouch hasn't been signed??
Old 09-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Another yes from me.

And a sensible pre-season overseen by the best manager we've had for several years.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:30 PM
Block U

Happy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is here
Good replacements and a new Goalie. Very happy.
Roy could get a tune out of a team of OAPs anyway.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:32 PM

alexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is herealexcpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
Let’s hope we don’t need to worry about it. I just don’t see many goals or much creativity without Wilf but maybe someone like Ayew will help. Meyer’s stats don’t indicate he is a creative player - though he sounds excellent.

It seems pointless to hypothesise on where we could finish without Wilf. All I know is that we barely got a point without him last season. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen this season.

Meyer is very very good. Trust me. The hard bit though is him knuckling down and working hard. Roy as we know coaches players and I am quietly confident he will get the best out of him.

Feel too much is made of when Wilf is not in the team we don’t get any points, there were a few games that we were just unlucky, Moan U at home as an example. Though he is seriously the most influential player we have.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:34 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
It looks like we've made some good signings, and more importantly kept our best ones, but yet again we've been unable to sell our fringe players meaning our financial situation hasn't really eased.

Next summer we will be releasing Puncheon, Souare, Williams, KaiKai, Inniss and Kelly for free (although Kelly will probably be offered new deal). I would still love Williams to be given a chance on our bench and currently Kelly is vital as our only current genuine CB cover.

At the end of last season we were playing some of the best football I've ever seen a Palace team play, and we've had a great pre-season (if a little bit too easy) so there's plenty of cause for optimism. All we can do now is keep everything crossed we dont get the same injuries as last season.

Shame the poll doesn't have more options as I think most, including me, would say "cautiously optimistic"
Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Play nice now everyone

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
No.

We have spent 9 million. Fulham have spent 100 million.

We can't spend what we don't have but if we cannot compete with clubs who have just been promoted then perhaps it's time to sell to someone who can.

I accept the argument that promoted teams have to spend big but with the money in football these days, if you can't spend big then you are doomed to be relegated. If Zaha leaves this club next season, we are sunk and our transfer policy needs to create a team able to compete without him.

Does anyone honestly think we could stay up without Zaha even with our new signings? If you do then you are putting your head in the sand. What if he gets injured?
It's about spending wisely though. QPR spent over £80m one season and still came bottom.
You need to balance buying players who have a good work ethic with the flair players and somehow get them to gel.

We gave everyone a 7 game head start last year and suffered a bad injury crisis and still finished 11th. We have a good bunch of players and a manager who has them well drilled.

What you need to remember also is that if Fulham finish 11th this season - they will only get back £14m from their signings. If we finish 11th again we get back £105m (ignoring money lost on wages).

We are in a good place now.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:41 PM

wavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockport_Eagle View Post
It was about this time Pulis left so we've not kept him yet SP & RH having a showdown right now about why Crouch hasn't been signed??
Thankfully Roy and Tony are cut from different types of cloth. One is fine Italian wool, the other wraps around a cardboard tube.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:49 PM

CPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Very happy. Some astute business done. Replacements for Cabaye and RLC; GK position strengthened, and cover for the wing/forward line.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:49 PM

Dunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDunkie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Happy, I think. Cabaye will be a big loss. Know nothing about the German chap, other than what i have read. I like Ayew and am a bit meh about Kouyate, but overall a sound window; not a huge disruption to a settled squad/ management team and a bit of continuity for once. Well done to the board for minimising the big losses (yes, Wilf) and spending sensibly.

Feeling pretty positive for the new season.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
If you think we've only spent that much you don't know how loan and free transfers work.
I know they paid fees, but I couldn't put a figure on it could I? Also, who knows if we paid for the full amount for Kouyate in one go?

I've never said I know how they work either, in fact, my other posts have said that I'm not sure. Either way, they did excellent business on a tiny budget. That is why it's been an impressive window under the circumstances.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:52 PM

lombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlombardo7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Upped our game from January, we have what look like quality signings, can’t ask more than that. So well done Mr Parish and the team in the background.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:58 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Considering our very modest budget I think we've done very well. But of course it all depends on how they perform.

Will Guaita improve in his pre-season season? Will Meyer live up to the hype?

But it's not all about who you bring in of course. Because we have kept most of our key players and have a more balanced squad than I remember for some while and a manager who knows his players and he wants from them.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 PM

rhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is hererhiannapaul Sam the man is here
Uhmm no just about replaced what we lost..Rlc was quality not replaced him with nowhere near as good a player
Old 09-08-2018, 10:03 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannapaul View Post
Uhmm no just about replaced what we lost..Rlc was quality not replaced him with nowhere near as good a player
RLC was quality for about half a dozen games. He gets overrated massively on here.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:09 PM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
We spent so much in that BFS window relative to other clubs it is ridiculous to not expect some alignment when the opportunity arose.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:12 PM

GBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGBG_Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'm still confused as to why people keep repeating on forums and on Twitter that Fosu-Mensah hasn't been replaced.

He was replaced by Wan-Bissaka, as soon as Wan-Bissaka made his first team debut last season.