Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 13-08-2018, 11:18 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Think it will be the same team with possibly either Macca or Schlupp dropping to the bench to make way for Kouyate if RH wants a bit more defensive strength. Would also expect Ayew to come in on the bench for Souare.

The bench of Guaita/Hennessey, Ward, Kelly, Reidewald, Macca/Schlupp, Ayew, Sorloth will probably be the standard until Meyer comes in which would see Reidewald drop out of the match day 18. I suspect that will be our core 18 until Wickham & Dann are fit, and/or injuries/suspensions bring in Souare, Reidewald, Williams, Puncheon, Williams or Kai Kai, subject to them not going on loan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 13-08-2018, 11:19 PM

delboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is here
Don't change a winning team unless you have to. They all played well.

The new boys will have to wait.

Meyer on the bench though.
Old 13-08-2018, 11:32 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Roy doesn't change winning sides, Liverpool haven't had it easy from us recently. Wet Spam were terrible, we have wilf that can open them up and benteke who can beat anyone in the air. We have a better defence than wet Spam and match winners across the squad and for once options on the bench.
I'm confident Tuesdays back page headline will be palace klip klopps flops.
Old 13-08-2018, 11:42 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Same team for me too, as much as I can see the logic in including Kouyate. One of those free hit games where I’d simply be pleased with us giving it a real go.
Old 13-08-2018, 11:42 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
I'd bring Kouyate in for Schlupp and put McArthur left side of the midfield. I see why people wouldn't want to change a winning team but this a very different proposition and I think we need more physicality in midfield. Schlupp scored but didn't play particularly well on Saturday imo.
Old 13-08-2018, 11:43 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Same team. Only change might be switching to 4-4-2 for this one.
Meyer won’t be ready yet so only change on in the bench might be the introduction of Ayew.
Didn’t we play 4-4-2 vs Fulham?
Old 13-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Well I'm a little torn as I think we could counter very well on them, but I don't want to see the ball coming back into our third again and again. I reckon we should try and hold onto it when we can't counter and frustrate them. That would require an extra midfielder, probably dropping schlupp for Kouyate.

Oh to have had Meyer fit for this game. Maybe he will do a "Sakho" and play the full 90 like Sakho did on his debut against Boro despite not having played for months at all before that. Can't really do that against Liverpool can ya
Old 13-08-2018, 11:50 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
I wouldn't drop Schlupp.
Old 14-08-2018, 02:17 AM

EaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
I wouldn't drop Schlupp.
I think he could really shine this season
Old 14-08-2018, 04:45 AM

Palace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is herePalace43 Sam the man is here
It’s a tough one, it’s either same side as last time or Kouyate in for Schlupp and move McArthur to the wing. I think I would go with the latter as Schlupp seemed to offer so much space on that left side last week, I think McArthur would be a bit more of an engine in that left side.

Hennessey
Wan-Bissaka - Tomkins - Sakho - van Aanholt
Townsend - Milivojevic - Kouyate - McArthur
Benteke - Zaha

Subs: Guaita, Ward, Kelly, Schlupp, Meyer, Ayew, Sorloth

One things for certain though, I can’t wait for Meyer to get fully match fit and see how good he is, he might even be able to this week!
Old 14-08-2018, 04:57 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Winning team. Changes to the bench:

Henno, AWB, Tomkins, Sakho, PVA, Townsend, Luka, McArthur, Schlupp, Benteke, Wilf

Subs: Guiata, Ward, Kelly, Kouyate, Meyer (if ready), Ayew, Sorloth.
Old 14-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Always like to start with how the opponents play but it's quite daunting with Liverpool because they have such a strong squad at the moment. Very few weaknesses and goals and creativity from all over the team which makes them very difficult to contain. They work so hard too. A right Royal pain in the proverbial. No time to switch off. Oh and did I mention a player that scored over 40 goals last year with 32 in 36 games. Gulp. Despite all of that, where have they shown some weakness? Lovren can make mistakes and get rattled but has become the whipping boy up there and is still a top CB. For me their young full back T-A has been over hyped and is OK but nothing special.

So what do we do? I think we avoid sitting too deep because they will just compress and kill us with their movement. We have to get them defending rather than attacking but care because they swarm forward on the break. They press very high and so we will need to mix up our play.

I was tempted to play with 4 strong players across the middle, adding Kouyate and sacrificing Benteke. Deepening the ball winning and power in the middle and giving their defence Andros and Wilf to handle a pairing that might trouble the CBs with their pace and tricks. But for that to work we have to work the ball up the pitch rather than hit it long which invites them to press and we are probably giving the ball away too often for that. I would be tempted by 451 but doubt we will do that but instead do a 442 with the front 2 having very specific defensive duties. Wilf will need something special as he will get rough treatment. They don't mess about and share the fouls out nicely. It's a day to man up and every time he gets whacked or pushed over he needs to bounce back up and grin at them. If he loses it and starts moaning they will just know they have him their pocket. We also have a starman playing on the right .......

So

Hennessey
Wan-Bissaka Tomkins Sakho Van-Anholt
Townsend - McArthur Milivojevic - Schlupp
Benteke Zaha

Or

Hennessey
McArthur Kouyate Milivojevic Schlupp
Townsend Zaha

It's a dilemma because the latter feels good but I can't see how we will get the ball past their press. So I expect the former. If anyone can find a way through this it's Roy and Ray and with players like Wilf, Andros and PVA we always have a chance. Maybe it's finally time for a Benteke to stick 2 fingers up at them with a hat trick over to you Roy.......
Old 14-08-2018, 10:01 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Man City came to Palace last year having played 26 games in League and Champions League and having scored in every one of them, they had scored 74 goals in those games. We were the first to keep them out.

RH will have this team hugely prepared for the threats that Liverpool pose and they pose many. It will be far from easy but we are capable of keeping them out. Whether we can create an opportunity or two at the other end will be difficult with the amount of defending we will have to do but it could be an interesting game.
Old 14-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
As an afterthought but having watched Liverpool a lot of the past couple of the seasons because they are always on the box I still think Milner is one of their most effective players. He consistently creates chances and plugs gaps wherever they might be. So maybe distract him with a pile of ironing on the touchline?
Old 14-08-2018, 11:34 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Man City came to Palace last year having played 26 games in League and Champions League and having scored in every one of them, they had scored 74 goals in those games. We were the first to keep them out.

RH will have this team hugely prepared for the threats that Liverpool pose and they pose many. It will be far from easy but we are capable of keeping them out. Whether we can create an opportunity or two at the other end will be difficult with the amount of defending we will have to do but it could be an interesting game.
If we get the first goal and crucially survive the storm as they react to it I can see us getting something from the game.

On the break I think we are as good as anyone after Liverpool and Man City and Liverpool will commit lots of players forward if they are behind for any length of time. They will get chances and we will have to ride our luck at times but any team that takes points off of Liverpool will have had a narrow escape at times in the game... but if we do lead for more than 20 minutes I’d fancy us to have as much chance of scoring as them as it will play right into our hands.

Solid at the back, everyone sticking to task... a little bit of luck when Liverpool inevitably do get chances... we can score goals against them so always a chance.

We play this fixture 10 times I suspect it’s W1 D3 L6 +/-1 of each
Old 14-08-2018, 11:53 AM

prizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
I'd bring Kouyate in for Schlupp and put McArthur left side of the midfield. I see why people wouldn't want to change a winning team but this a very different proposition and I think we need more physicality in midfield. Schlupp scored but didn't play particularly well on Saturday imo.
If RH starts with McArthur in the middle of midfield, you may as well just give Liverpool the three points now. He is neither quick nor strong enough to handle liverpool's midfield, especially in a central two. He will be chasing shadows and breathing out of his arse.

Roy being the cautious manager he is, i can't see him attacking liverpool in any way. I think the game plan will be to contain and frustrate...if we nick a goal from a set-piece, he will take it. {Given how tall and powerful Kouyate is, him being deployed in both boxes at set-pieces could prove key for us}.

In days gone by, managers have deployed a sweeper to help combat prowess of big team attacks. (e.g. Coppell did it with McGoldrick vs Liverpool) - i don't think RH will go that far but damage limitation will certainly be on the agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD
*prizesucker's suggestion about shallow nets shows he's a true connoisseur of the beautiful game :)
Old 14-08-2018, 12:17 PM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
On the face of it will be difficuly to envisage any change from Saturday but this is Liverpool coming up which is a whole new ball game, and with their incredible pace and driving forward play somehow we have to combat that.
We need a solid hard working midfield that can tackle hard to stem their flowing football, hence why it has got to be the combative Kouyate replacing Schlupp would be my only change, Benteke must play to give us physical presence against their big CB's, and i would play WZ just behind giving him more freedom to run at them with CB giving the protection. But it's going to be our Full Backs and their interplay that will be key with their attacking play to draw Liverpool out of position, with AT and JM dropping back to cover the gaps. We must try somehow to get a draw against what is bound to be title challengers, and that would be a massive boost to our confidence and a huge lift.

--------------------------------------Hennessey----------------------------------------------

-------------AWB-------------Tomkins---------------Sakho--------------PVA---------

---------Townsend---------------Luka-----------Kouyate------------McArthur-------------

------------------------------------------Zaha----------------------------------------

-----------------------------------Benteke---------------------------------------------------
Old 14-08-2018, 02:53 PM

PemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Always like to start with how the opponents play but it's quite daunting with Liverpool because they have such a strong squad at the moment. Very few weaknesses and goals and creativity from all over the team which makes them very difficult to contain. They work so hard too. A right Royal pain in the proverbial. No time to switch off. Oh and did I mention a player that scored over 40 goals last year with 32 in 36 games. Gulp. Despite all of that, where have they shown some weakness? Lovren can make mistakes and get rattled but has become the whipping boy up there and is still a top CB. For me their young full back T-A has been over hyped and is OK but nothing special.

So what do we do? I think we avoid sitting too deep because they will just compress and kill us with their movement. We have to get them defending rather than attacking but care because they swarm forward on the break. They press very high and so we will need to mix up our play.

I was tempted to play with 4 strong players across the middle, adding Kouyate and sacrificing Benteke. Deepening the ball winning and power in the middle and giving their defence Andros and Wilf to handle a pairing that might trouble the CBs with their pace and tricks. But for that to work we have to work the ball up the pitch rather than hit it long which invites them to press and we are probably giving the ball away too often for that. I would be tempted by 451 but doubt we will do that but instead do a 442 with the front 2 having very specific defensive duties. Wilf will need something special as he will get rough treatment. They don't mess about and share the fouls out nicely. It's a day to man up and every time he gets whacked or pushed over he needs to bounce back up and grin at them. If he loses it and starts moaning they will just know they have him their pocket. We also have a starman playing on the right .......

So

Hennessey
Townsend - McArthur Milivojevic - Schlupp
Benteke Zaha

Or

Hennessey
McArthur Kouyate Milivojevic Schlupp
Townsend Zaha

It's a dilemma because the latter feels good but I can't see how we will get the ball past their press. So I expect the former. If anyone can find a way through this it's Roy and Ray and with players like Wilf, Andros and PVA we always have a chance. Maybe it's finally time for a Benteke to stick 2 fingers up at them with a hat trick over to you Roy.......
I think Roy will go with the same team, but the alternative you suggest is credible. I just think we need Benteke to keep their CB's honest.

I think we need to target TTA at RB for them. Zaha exploited him twice in the home game last season. He is good going forwards, his crossing is very mixed (generally poor) and if we get behind him I think we have a fair chance.
Old 14-08-2018, 02:57 PM

PemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
If we get the first goal and crucially survive the storm as they react to it I can see us getting something from the game.

On the break I think we are as good as anyone after Liverpool and Man City and Liverpool will commit lots of players forward if they are behind for any length of time. They will get chances and we will have to ride our luck at times but any team that takes points off of Liverpool will have had a narrow escape at times in the game... but if we do lead for more than 20 minutes I’d fancy us to have as much chance of scoring as them as it will play right into our hands.

Solid at the back, everyone sticking to task... a little bit of luck when Liverpool inevitably do get chances... we can score goals against them so always a chance.

We play this fixture 10 times I suspect it’s W1 D3 L6 +/-1 of each
Ref last sentence, our record since the 0-2 defeat in Jan 90 is something like W 13, D 4, L 17 which must be better than any similarly sized team vs them.

They have always had the much better team on paper and this might be their best since 1990 (and maybe the Suarez side), but it's also our best side since 1990/91
Old 14-08-2018, 02:59 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Hennessey
WanBissaka - Tomkins - Sakho - VanAarnholt
Townsend - Luka - McArthur - Schlupp
Benteke - Zaha

That is Tomkins in for Kelly, McArthur comes central for Cabaye and Schlupp replaces him out left in changes from the 2-1 defeat in March.

They look like Matip will be out so Gomez in for him, Alisson in goal and Keita in for Henderson as changes for them. Might be a tight game like that one was.