Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 15-08-2018, 10:14 PM

Bobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBobby Woodruff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My first game would have been 67 or 68. I know it was a mid week game possibly League Cup.

Quote:
To be fair when you give the ball away like we did it was an accident waiting to happen, it was almost like Dr Who for me when I was a kid but no sofa to hide behind so I had my face in my hands for all of the 2nd half.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Palace Addict

trufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is here
My first game was either 1967 or 1968. I know we beat Blackburn 1-0, but we did that in both those years. I have a vague memory of thinking our keeper (Jacko, I presume?) must be best friends with one of the full-backs because he was constantly rolling the ball to him.

Little did I know I'd still be Palace-mad half a century later. Thanks Dad!
Old 15-08-2018, 10:23 PM

Am Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
And only two of those last 50 seasons have been mid table and safe pretty much from the outset with no need for histrionics. 1977/78 and 1991/2. 41 have been relegation threatened ones and seven with promotion.

41!!! - you b@stards! No wonder i started going grey in my mid-twenties.

edit: Only 39 not 41 - 1979/80 was a safe one too plus that play-off season when losing in the play-offs to Bristol City 12 years ago.

Apologies CPFC.

Last edited by Am Phibian; 15-08-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:28 PM

Stonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStonewall came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
New Year’s Day 1972.v Spurs 1-1 draw. My first game.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:34 PM

Braintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
42 for me,first game for me a 1-0 against Bristol Rovers in 1978.Used to get excited when we got shown on The Big Match,how times change.
Maths not your strong point Max?
Old 15-08-2018, 10:39 PM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Bury at home 1966.

F*cking miserable experience for me as a 7 year old but there you go.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:42 PM

Braintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
41 for me. Home vs Sheff Utd 1977. Won 1-0.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Significant Udder

Direwolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is hereDirewolf Sam the man is here
43 years for me. Can't say which game but it was the 75/76 season. First seeing the very young Kenny Sansom and thinking what a class player he was.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:46 PM

Lee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is here
58 years since I was taken to the opening game 60/61 Palace 9 Accrington Stanley 2. Happy memories
Old 15-08-2018, 10:46 PM

whitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Fifty four years now. First match: autumn 1964 v Rotherham. We won 2-1 I think: Dickie Dowsett, Cliff Holton, Bill Glazier, Alan Stephenson. Twelve years old. Little did I know then that it was a lifetime's commitment.....
Old 15-08-2018, 10:55 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
1962 but I have no idea whether it was towards the end of the 61/62 season or near the beginning of the 62/63 season. Unfortunately I went with someone in my primary school so we spent the latter part of the game messing around on the mud bank at the top of the Holmesdale. I'm fairly sure it was a draw.

I do know in the pre-season we were collecting autographs outside the main entrance to Selhurst Park and Johnny Byrne who had signed for West Ham in March 1962 popped back in to see his old team mates.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 15-08-2018, 10:59 PM

Lords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My first match was 59 years ago I don't remember much other than my older sister wrapped me in her coat as I was freezing!
Old 15-08-2018, 11:03 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
You get less for murder...
Old 15-08-2018, 11:05 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Wow there are some long suffering old gits on this thread but it made me think.

49 years for me too! 4th April '69 a nil-nil with 'Boro. It seems like a lifetime because it IS!!
Old 15-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
My memory is shit but I started going when I was around 6 or 7 so I am 60 in Oct...That would make in Diane Abbott numbers around 25 years....

52-53 years from when I first went and got fecking scared repulsed and pissed off...And that was just the tin shed toilets with the one light bulb at the back/bottom of the Holmesdale where the piss used to overflow and run down the Holmesdale rd....But it was all "safe standing"...Are you Jealous kids ?
Old 15-08-2018, 11:12 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
There seem to be a lot on 49 years of suffering, on here ! I'm almost there - Will be 49 years in October, since I saw us lose 3 - 1 to West Brom in 1969. Cliff Jackson got our goal.
Old 15-08-2018, 11:16 PM

Robin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRobin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
1965 was my first game. I have seen every promotion except 1989.
Old 15-08-2018, 11:18 PM
Evicted fron E Block

Andy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is hereAndy in Rome Sam the man is here
45 years for me - Tuesday 6 March 1973, 0-0 vs Birmingham City
Old 15-08-2018, 11:24 PM

baughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fearbaughurst eagle is a gunboat in a sea of fear
49 for me just 11 years old when I changed my allegiance from cov to palace the only palace fan at school no glory hunting for me but supporting palace is like a drug enjoy the ride
Old 15-08-2018, 11:35 PM

PaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPaulT55 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by isindypub View Post
First game I know I was at was 65 when we lost to Leeds in the cup... know i went before but that was the first game I remember.... 53 years of hope, frustration and despair. Still it could have been worse my uncle was a Millwall fan so went there quite a bit at the same time. Lucky escape!!!!
Same first match for me - 10 March 1965. Lost 0-3. Should have known then it would be a lot of heartache.