Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 26-10-2014, 09:24 AM

ZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Travelling India and the world

I am currently travelling around India and then on to other destinations around the world.

I am currently in Jaipur, India and am going to Pushkar and then Jodhpur and Udaipur by bus. However afterwards I want to go from Udaipur to Goa and am not sure how to do it, India rail website is very confusing and hard to work so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience booking trains in India before who could help?

Thanks!
Old 26-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Unbannable

Raggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is here
Almost certainly via Mumbai - which is worth at least a couple of days visit in itself.
Keep it simples - get to Mumbai, see the place and then to Goa

Pushkar is great, was there a long time ago in 1997, but loved it.

Last edited by Raggy; 26-10-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 26-10-2014, 09:14 PM

Hancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
How you finding India? I got back a week ago after 3 weeks and I can safely say that in 10 years of backpacking it was definitely the toughest place to travel round. I had days when I wanted to scream/cry!!

I can recommend the Panorama Guesthouse in Udaipur, on the quiet side of the lake and with a great rooftop view.
Old 26-10-2014, 10:04 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
No point getting wound up in India, just relax and accept delay and oddness as part of the fabric.
Trains to Goa run from Bombay, if my distant memory serves me correctly
Old 27-10-2014, 01:39 PM

ZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineZanderCPFC : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancpfc View Post
How you finding India? I got back a week ago after 3 weeks and I can safely say that in 10 years of backpacking it was definitely the toughest place to travel round. I had days when I wanted to scream/cry!!

I can recommend the Panorama Guesthouse in Udaipur, on the quiet side of the lake and with a great rooftop view.
Haha well there was the time in Delhi when our driver got arrested for illegal parking and we had to go to the police station because our backpacks were in the car they had just impounded... Or the time when I vomited every three minutes for 14 hours after having a bit of dodgy food from a restaurant and ended up in Jaipur hospital... Or in Varanasi when our guide got us thrown out of a Hindu temple (he is Muslim) as he told us not to put money in the bowl and a holy man heard him causing a huge fight.

And we have only been in India 14 days.

It's so full on I can't wait to get down to Goa and chill out for a bit.

Checked out the Panorama guest house and it looks perfect so thanks!
Old 27-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
Almost certainly via Mumbai - which is worth at least a couple of days visit in itself.
Keep it simples - get to Mumbai, see the place and then to Goa

Pushkar is great, was there a long time ago in 1997, but loved it.
Great, thanks! I think keeping everything simple in India is the way to go.

Pushkar the day after tomorrow for the Camel Festival!
Old 27-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Whaaaaaaaat!

wholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewholethedougin! : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I found flying around India was the best bet............
Then fun bus it or get a cab...........

Got a little nervous of the fun buses after we nearly hit an Elephant whilst overtaking a slower fun bus.

On the Dehli belly side, I suffered on my first trip very badly, whilst watching India V Eng in a one dayer, in 50 degree heat.........
Old 27-10-2014, 02:12 PM
never beat the ninja

Eric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric's Headband : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I did 9 months in India a couple of years ago and used this website To view the link you have to Register or Login to get any train tickets, really simple or if had any issues getting tickets go the station and go to foreigners ticket office with your passport, as there is a foreign ticket quota, though if doing this, make sure you know where it is (especially in the larger cities) as there will be lots of 'helpful' people to take you to the ticket office ten minutes down you road which is actually their cousins coach office I would also recommend spending the extra £10 or so and getting the best class possible (normally 2AC) especially for the longer journeys!!

Pushkar is great fun doing the camel festival, though some of the animal treatment can be a little dubious, especially during the camel dancing, try to get a place on the foreigners vs locals football match.

Mumbai is good fun before heading down to Goa.

India is great but can be hard work, and takes a while to get used to, it gets easier as time goes on, a good tip is anyone who approaches you will ask you how long you have been in India for, just say 6 months or so and most people will wish you a good stay and leave you looking for someone 'fresh off the plane' or will actually just want a chat.
Old 27-10-2014, 05:04 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
I haven't been to India since 1997, but it's high on my list for another visit which will be my fourth trip there, I imagine a lot has changed.

Apologies for stating what may be obvious but when you are searching online for trains are you putting Goa as the destination? Goa is a state not a city, you may have more luck searching for Vasco da Gama or Madgaon, I think these are both major stations in the region.
Old 27-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Payney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Checkout seat61 ,Always handy for train travel anywhere in the world.
To view the link you have to Register or Login

I visited India a few years back to watch England play cricket. Did a week in Chandigarh and a week in Mumbai, Like others have said it's fun but hard work. By the end of the two weeks I was very much ready for the beach in Goa.

If you have the time visit Sri Lanka whilst you are down that way, Love the place.
Old 27-10-2014, 05:35 PM

CPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCPFC987 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancpfc View Post

I found the same. India is very interesting, but not always enjoyable.

Beaches in Goa were a big let down, but riding around the Goan forests on a motorbike and finding wild monkeys was a highlight.

Jaipur was by far and away the best place I went to in India.

China >>>>> India
Old 27-10-2014, 05:37 PM

suits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesuits_you : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Going to India in a couple of weeks, for a couple weeks, travelling round New Delhi and surrounding cities and then a week relaxing in Goa. Can't wait! It's part of a tour though, so can't help with your opening request. But we are flying from ND to Goa.
Old 27-10-2014, 06:32 PM

OriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOriginalNutter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Goa was lovely but the amount of Russians there on their package holiday slightly put me off the place. Kerala is absolutly fantastic. If you can get there..

I loved Udaipur, purely because the sceenery is stunning once you get off the dusty streets and up onto a rooftop bar for a beer.

Everyone gets ill there even if you watch what you eat and drink. Its so dirty that i think the bugs are in the dust in the air. I spent almost 7 days with what i can only call full on dysentry. Only a hospital stay set me back on my way.

Try to do a Tiger safari in one of the nantional parks. I saw a tiger, got some fantastic photos and the guide said it was the first one they had seen in over two weeks. Hows your luck!
Old 27-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suits_you View Post
Going to India in a couple of weeks, for a couple weeks, travelling round New Delhi and surrounding cities and then a week relaxing in Goa. Can't wait! It's part of a tour though, so can't help with your opening request. But we are flying from ND to Goa.
Have you been to India before? Are you going round Rajasthan? It being a tour is a good thing, we have DIY'd it and found it tough, there's a fine line between exploring and wandering round being very lost. But then again I have seen some tourist buses pitch up, people get off and queue at the side of the road to get a photo of the water palace in Jaipur and then straight back on the bus so there are pros and cons!
Old 27-10-2014, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on clear trip and seat 61, both have given us a much better understanding of the system!

Will upload pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 27-10-2014, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on clear trip and seat 61, both have given us a much better understanding of the system!

Will upload pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 27-10-2014, 09:32 PM

postman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepostman plod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Many years ago , myself and my brother went to mumbai, where we found a bar that sold a beer called Haywards 5,ooo. I swear it was brewed straight from the Gangees. Absolute gut rot.
Anyway, after a good session on the aforemention beer, we decided to walk back to our hotel (Bad mistake).We got completely lost, and wandered Around for ages. All was lost until a cop on a Motorbike pulled over, and asked us where we were going. When we explained that we were lost, and not a little pissed, he walked into the road, and stopped another biker, and told him he had to take one of us on his bike to our hotel.
So my broyher got on the back of his bike, and i hopped on the back of the police bike. Strangely nobody took a blind bit of notice of us, it seem the people of Mumbai are used to seeing pissed up brits on the back of motorbikes
Old 28-10-2014, 12:19 AM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Did a cycle tour down south, Mysore, Ooty, Guruvayvor, Aleppy, the lakes, some other place where there were drugged up hippy types and Trivendum.

Absolutley fantastic but you have to be a bit laid back otherwise you'll just explode.

Keep meaning to do the same in Rajaestan.

Yeah I know, spelling.

Last edited by Skintagain; 28-10-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 28-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Hancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHancpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC987 View Post
Jaipur was by far and away the best place I went to in India.
Really?? I wasn't that taken with Jaipur at all! I thought the Hawa Mahal was beautiful but other than that, I was happy to leave! It was just another crazy city for me. Much preferred Udaipur.
Old 28-10-2014, 12:34 PM

jcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I wasn't bothered with Jaipur, but loved Jodhpur. The fort was fantastic (great audio guide!), and we managed to get dinner at the maharajah's palace, despite turning up with fithy feet, on a rickshaw. I washed my feet in the sink before dinner, and the bathroom was as big as my flat.

I'm one of the few people in my friend group who went to Udaipur that didn't like it. There was a big drought on, the lake had dried up, and people seemed rude and aggressive. The place stank, people were sifting through the river bed, and I found it all quite sad.

If money is an issue, I'd highly recommend night trains in India to anybody. You might get the odd delay, but I found them enjoyable. AC class was too cold for me, and the draught of the train moving made non-AC pleasant. You can't see out of most of the windows on AC cars too.

As people have said, India is hard work, but rewarding.

I'm off to Sri Lanka for honeymoon on Boxing Day, but having two nights in Mumbai either side. I really can't wait!