Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Joey Barton

What's everybodies opinion on Joey Barton this season? Obviously, his past is a major issue & there is noway I am condoning any of his previous actions.

However, having caught a couple of Newcastle games this year, he has looked class - i've been very impressed. He seems to be a reformed character - talking sensibly to officials, showing respect & no bad tackles which he used to be renowned for. Does he deserve one last chance & a bit of credit for turning things round or will he always be thought of as scum?

Just interested to see what peoples thoughts are.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:08 PM

hoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
From what i've seen he was been very good this season. The goal that he banged in from outside the box was class...

...He's still scum though.

"If you show enough houses, you learn all the tricks. Every realtor is just a ninja with a blazer. The average burglar breaks in and leaves clues all over the place, but not me. I'm completely clueless."
Old 01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
His problem has never been his ability as we all know, he is a very talented player so I am not surprised to see him being a major player in Newcastle's season.

I would not like to see him in the red and blue of palace, much with Bowyer though, we could really do with a player like him in the centre of the park.

Had Barton gone to the World Cup, he wouldn't have performed like a pathetic spoiled pile of shite. His past is unacceptable, but he has ability. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time, again.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC_DAVE77
His problem has never been his ability as we all know, he is a very talented player so I am not surprised to see him being a major player in Newcastle's season.

I would not like to see him in the red and blue of palace, much with Bowyer though, we could really do with a player like him in the centre of the park.

Had Barton gone to the World Cup, he wouldn't have performed like a pathetic spoiled pile of shite. His past is unacceptable, but he has ability. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time, again.
That last sentence is what is always at the back of my mind whenever I watch him. On current form he's worthy of a place in the England squad - but you know that because of his past & the fear of him going back to his old ways, he won't get near the squad.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM

mexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmexicaneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC_DAVE77

his past is unacceptable, but I don't think he's irredeemable: he has only been in the news for positive reasons this season (moustache etc) and may actually be trying to turn over a new leaf. I hope this is true however much I may suspect you are right.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
I agree with mexicaneagle and gilsey, that I would like to see him change his ways. Not because I particularly care about him, but purely because I'd like any human being in society to conduct themselves properly.

I genuinely think if his past had been different, he could be an England regular. Far from meaning to turn this into an England squad thread, but Carrick, Barry and Huddlestone are all considered England material, consistently. Barton, IMHO, could have been as good as them if not better, he still can be. I will be interested to see how he carries on, and I expect to see him and Newcastle share the same fate, and it all goes horribly wrong again.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 PM

leicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietleicester1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
After reading an article at work by Barton on how he's changing his ways i say'fair play to him'.

Long way to go before hes taken totally seriously though.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
cheeks

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
I think he is a very talented footballer but a complete idiot. Perhaps he would be doing far better for himself if he had a bit more intelligence, you never know with footballers though.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 PM
cheeks

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester1
After reading an article at work by Barton on how he's changing his ways i say'fair play to him'.

Long way to go before hes taken totally seriously though.
I remember seeing all these types of story before he beat up his team mate, beat someone else up, pulled his pants down on the pitch, did a hitler salute etc etc
Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
He may have grown up and seen the error of his ways, if so good luck to him everyone deserves the chance to rehabilitate.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've heard him talk enough times to know that, whatever has caused his previous bad behaviour...unlike with Bowyer...it certainly isn't a lack of intelligence. He is bright, particularly by "footballer standards". Common sense was definitely never his friend though!

I wonder if the lady he refers to in his life has been an influence or, as others have said before, sometimes jail really does change some for the better.

I remain cautiously optimistic for the guy. And have thoroughly enjoyed his football this season
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 AM

sheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsheepy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
His actions on the pitch have never caused any issues and I find it a big stretch to say that he's changed his ways based purely on his conduct on the pitch.

It's what he does once the full time whistle has been blown that's the big issue
Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is here
On his day, a great player
Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Palace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Rebel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He has a violent past, many do, he is not on par with the Marlon Kings and Lee Hughes of this world who deserve no chance. Barton will hopefully keep growing on the field, great player, rather him than someone like Lampard.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 AM
criostal lýchairt

Scotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Joey Barton is someone who really interests me ever since I heard an interview with him on Radio 4 (Tony Adams was a guest producer and included him on a piece inspired by Sporting Chance) - there was an earlier thread that includes some discussion on him (page 2):

To view the link you have to Register or Login

But more importantly here's the link to the interview:

Searing honesty, and it feels / looks like rehabilitation in process; I urge you to listen.

Last edited by Scotland's No9; 02-11-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Woah Woah Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotland's No9
Joey Barton is someone who really interests me ever since I heard an interview with him on Radio 4 (Tony Adams was a guest producer and included him on a piece inspired by Sporting Chance) - there was an earlier thread that includes some discussion on him (page 2):

But more importantly here's the link to the interview:

Searing honesty, and it feels / looks like rehabilitation in process; I urge you to listen.
Pretty much sums up how I feel about him. After his needless sending off for Newcastle at Liverpool when Alan Shearer slated him (the season the geordies went down) & his time in prison, i'd written him off as a waste of space & considerable talent.

However after, listening to him in a post-match interview after Newcastle's game with Villa this season, he came across as a quite likeable chap. He seems pretty intelligent, but has some demons - mainly booze. I've read a few interviews from him where he is very honest, but then so is Gazza, Paul McGrath, etc when talking about their problems & although they have times when they're doing well, they always fall off the wagon. It would be nice to see him succeed.

Still love it when he slated Lampard & Gerrard for releasing autobiographies after our failure at the 2006 World Cup. He was spot on.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
criostal lýchairt

Scotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScotland's No9 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesy14
He ... has some demons - mainly booze.
From that interview it says he's been dry for 2 years, not sure if that's still the case, but certainly he's been in the media spotlight for the right reasons, and I'm sure some elements of the media would love nothing more than another Joey Barton = scum story so I reckon he's keeping out of trouble, dry or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesy14
I've read a few interviews from him where he is very honest, but then so is Gazza, Paul McGrath, etc when talking about their problems & although they have times when they're doing well, they always fall off the wagon. It would be nice to see him succeed.
The difference I see is that he's not afraid to criticise the "football family" - Gazza, particularly, was an apologist for that part of football and was therefore (IMO) never likely to escape. I know less about McGrath, but don't recall either of them demystifying the footballer as a persona in the way Barton has. He's identified the cause and effect and seems to be doing his very best to change himself. Credit to him for that, and assuming he sticks with it and continues to condemn his past behaviour then what a great role model.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Banned by Moderators

SE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSE19_denizen has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
knob jockey
Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Woah Woah Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE19_denizen
knob jockey
Would you like to expand on that?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 PM

Tomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm sure there was a story that when he was with the England squad after his Lampard/Gerrard out burst he went to chat with Fat Frank at the breakfast table who picked up his plate and walked off.

Apparently, Barton shouted after him, "I wasn't going to pinch your breakfast you fat bastard."

I like him for what its worth.