Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 21-02-2014, 08:29 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Like a lot of Palace fans, I boycotted the replay out of respect for Paul Nixon - the press largely ignored this and the disgraceful actions of Roy Keane in the replay. I'm not sure there was even a minutes silence before the replay?
I cannot remember precisely there might have been, plus a speech from Smith and Ferguson calling on calm amongst the fans, a wreath was laid by both managers. I went a decision based on my own feelings of what I would want in similar circumstances. It was the worse game I have ever been to the Palace end sat mainly in silence the atmosphere sombre and respectful. Far from the noise the intimidation from Man Utd fans at the other end of the stadium. The result did not matter the death of one of our own did. Then despite it all the atmosphere the preceeding event Keane lost it stamped out and was rightly sent off, probably a more sensible decision than one based on events on the pitch merited was the ref sent Patterson off to. A horrid lonely walk back to the car and on to the motorway in my way, my feelings , how I paid respect to one of our own, not a night for football or even if we had won celebration I dread to think what would have happened if we had.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:29 PM

Lee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee B came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Like others on this thread I was at the game. We had a manc a few roes behind us who was in a ManUre shirt, tattoos who started offering Palace fans out after our goal. The police were called and guarded him and his mate for the rest of the game (as apparently he'd paid for his ticket and so should be allowed to watch the game!)

I say all of this only to illustrate the attitude of so many 'neutrals' and the subsequent way that this incident was completely brushed under the carpet. This was early on in the brave new world of the Premiership and the incident in a major semi-final didn't fit in with the new football narrative. The attitude seemed to be that 'it must have been a hooligans meet-up,' even though no evidence of this being the case was ever produced.

I even remember Martin Tyler making some comment during the replay that Palace fans had stayed away 'because it was difficult to get to a replay on a Wednesday night' as if to make out that the Mancs were more committed fans than us. Even though the reason for the boycott had been made clear by Uncle Ron (from memory). The whole coverage was completely one-sided. As you can tell it still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth to this day.

Last edited by Lee B; 21-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A Paul Nixon RIP never to be forgotten flag hanging from the Holmesdale would be a nice touch .
Old 21-02-2014, 08:36 PM

Tele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTele Caster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A group of men and women tried to start on me and my then girlfriend and my mum and dad seconds after we parked up. From there to the ground the atmosphere was one of the most poisonous I have ever experienced at a football match and it was all about Cantona revenge. I boycotted the replay out of both decency and anger that the games was going ahead less three days after the tragedy. That Cantona subsequently said the Kung-foo kick was one of his proudest moments sickens me to the core and I refuse not to blame him for Paul's death.

Last edited by Tele Caster; 21-02-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:37 PM
I found him... PTID

dogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and prouddogfish is south London and proud
RIP PAUL
Old 21-02-2014, 08:39 PM

croftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravitycroftonglazier has found the source of gravity
Went up that day on an unofficial coach from Beckenham. We had booked in advance into a Working Mans club near Walsall and we were proper set up. On arrival the place was full of Mancs. Nasty atmosphere for the couple of hours we were there with us in one bar and the other full of them. After the game the police held all our coaches back for hours and we were all individually questioned. When we got home in the early hours we discovered what had happened. Boycotted the replay out of respect for Paul Nixon and his family. Cantona sparked all that off. RIP Paul Nixon
Old 21-02-2014, 08:39 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by garronrav View Post
Paul and a few others that were on that coach were trying to protect some of the more vunerable passengers (women and children ) as they were all being attacked, Paul was stabbed and hit with a brick over the head, some of the windows of the coach were smashed and the driver not knowing that Paul had fallen under the wheel of the coach tried to pull away and he was crushed under a wheel, He often went to the Greyhound pub in Holland road before games, I was on another coach that was also involved in an incident on the motorway at the turn off into Birmingham, due to what happened with us we didnt get into the ground until around 10 minutes after kick off, on the way back we knew there had been a serious incident but it was not until we got back to the Greyhound pub that we knew what had really happened and that it involved the coach that Paul and a few regulars from the pub were on, we expected them all to turn up soon after we had arrived until a few phone calls back and forth confirmed it was the coach they were on, another mate of mine Peter who was on the coach and also a close friend of Pauls came into the Greyhound later that evening and told us the shocking news, I didn't really know Paul that well I just remember chatting to him a few times in the pub before games and occasionally he would go in there the odd evening for a pint and a chat with the lads. RIP Paul
Thanks for the clarity , indeed RIP Paul.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:40 PM

garronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele Caster View Post
A group of men and women tried to start on me and my then girlfriend and my mum and dad seconds after we parked up. From there to the ground the atmosphere was one of the most poisonous I have ever experienced at a football match and it was all about Cantona revenge. I'm afraid. I boycotted the replay out of both decency and anger.
As I said in my previous post, the coach we were on was involved in an incident and we missed the first 10 minutes of the game, judging by this post and a few others it seems that our delay in getting to the game was a bit of a blessing in disguise.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:42 PM
CPFC LOYAL

Heath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is hereHeath eagle Sam the man is here
The coach was from the Cunningham in new addo , if I remember rightly
Old 21-02-2014, 08:42 PM

IanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is here
Rather bizarrely after what eventually happened, I went to the game with a mixed group of Palace and Man United mates (we all stayed the day/night before in Stratford and had a great laugh in a B&B there - I seem to remember a smoke alarm going off in the early hours and us all being out in the street). On the day of the game, as we approached a road near the ground (which was not that near the ground) we came to a police barrier where we had to show our tickets and the police then split the group in two - letting the Man U fans go through and turning us Palace fans away. We had to walk a long way to get round to our side of the ground but saw nothing out of the ordinary. We all met up again after the game and it was only in the cars driving home that we heard about what had happened on the radio. I seem to recall that a rather notorious group of Palace fans had mates in Walsall and stayed up there often when Palace were playing in the midlands so I assumed it might be them involved, but it wasn't (I assume the outcome would have been very different if they had been the group in the pub). From memory the police stopped the whole Palace coach at the pub and kept them up in Walsall until the early hours before releasing them. The police were waiting for the offending Man U coach (which left the pub after the brawl) after the game but only about 15 people went back to it after the game. The absent passengers were arrested over the next few days in Manchester and I think a few were up on manslaughter charges but most (if not all) got off due to the confusion of the event (it was basically a mass brawl in the pub car park started by the Man U fans who followed Palace to their coach). The Palace coach was a mix of men, women and children, so it was an extremely cowardly attack by the Man U fans. Anyway, that's my recollection of the whole event - I boycotted the replay and was extremely annoyed that Noades didn't show some balls and withdraw us from the Cup once they forced us to play the replay a few days later. If he had, then Man U fans certainly wouldn't be able to say they didn't know this had ever happened as they have this week.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:49 PM

west eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I didn't realise he had been stabbed,
Old 21-02-2014, 08:51 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee B View Post
I even remember Martin Tyler making some comment during the replay that Palace fans had stayed away 'because it was difficult to get to a replay on a Wednesday night' as if to make out that the Mancs were more committed fans than us. Even though the reason for the boycott had been made clear by Uncle Ron (from memory). The whole coverage was completely one-sided. As you can tell it still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth to this day.

Agree 100%. It was a very bitter lesson for our Club and fans. What happened after Cantona kicked that fan showed us that the media, football media and a big club, are always going to get the bias. I still say if a Palace player had done that he would have never p´layed in England again. Inside a week, the press shock turned into a campaign against Palace. There seemed to be little comment on all the other occasions that Cantona had kicked players.

It was a tragedy in Munich, but the aftermath with them winning in 1968 became a tragedy for fair play as they became the media darlings. The same can be said for Liverpool - see how we were stepped all over to allow them back into Europe early.

All that suits the Premier and it's armchair followers. Keep an eye on the twitter tweets on the BBC when we play against a big club. See what some arsehole fans of big clubs type on there. I remember one from when we held Arsenal 0-0 at half time, some tosspot suggested Palace with their style of anti-football should clear off back to the Championship where they belong. Add in Pelligrinis ungracious comments. The same stuff was levied at West Ham when they shut up shop against Chelsea as well.

Know nothing twats that don't understanding the difference between a team that cost 400 million and a team that cost less than a tenth of that. Winds me up that something like twitter exists to give voice to these morons. Pelligrini should have known better, but he has had bundles of money to spend at his last three clubs and inherited his current side.

It is annoying that so called football experts fronting TV and radio shows only seem to know and base their opinions on football related to the top six or seven clubs. I get the feeling that for them, all is right with the world when those clubs beat little clubs regardless of whether a penalty or sending off decision is correct or not.

The lesson to Palace fans, managers and owners is that we can't expect to take these teams, the FA, The Premier or the media on fairly. We have to battle to beat them even if the dice are loaded in their favour - and without complaint.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:54 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
We lost a Palace fan, we lost a chance in a final, we got relegated.

Cantona got a small ban, as did Keane, Man Utd went from strength to strength, and a number of Mancs responsible for a fans death got away with it.

That's the sad aftermath of the kick that shook the World.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I boycotted the replay and was extremely annoyed that Noades didn't show some balls and withdraw us from the Cup once they forced us to play the replay a few days later. If he had, then Man U fans certainly wouldn't be able to say they didn't know this had ever happened as they have this week.
Agreed, nobody really cared about the result after the first game, which thankfully for my group passed without major incident for us.

It has to be repeated IMO, Cantona is just a thick **** who doesn't realise the error of his ways. The person who really has blood on his hands is Crerand. It was he who really stirred up the hatred amongst the ManU fans after the Cantona incident, which resulted directly in Paul Nixon's death.

Worth repeating even though it's been done to death on the other thread, let's not lower ourselves to their level tomorrow. If the ignorant (not their fault) ManU twats wish to wear Cantona masks, just treat them with deserved contempt and just turn up the volume on our support to new levels.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west eagle View Post
I didn't realise he had been stabbed,
Me neither, or if I did I'd forgotten.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglebob View Post
Worth repeating even though it's been done to death on the other thread, let's not lower ourselves to their level tomorrow. If the ignorant (not their fault) ManU twats wish to wear Cantona masks, just treat them with deserved contempt and just turn up the volume on our support to new levels.
TBF. It's all rather silly. Someone needs to tell those Stretford idiots to let it be.

The Cantona season was a long time ago, and we have had several good and pleasant visits to Old Trafford since - including one VERY pleasant evening out.

Time to let this one go, rather than bring it back and let it fester.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:09 PM

garronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
Me neither, or if I did I'd forgotten.
To be fair Peter up until Yesterday I didnt know he had been stabbed, it was a reference to another post on the Cantona mask thread so this may not be the case, my memory of the incident as told by Peter on his return from the game is clear in the fact that Paul was hit by a brick then crushed under the coach, that is common knowledge, but there were other people who were attacked and injured on that coach aswell and i know it involved knives.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:16 PM

I also know that Paul was a hero that day and if it wasnt for his unselfish actions which cost him his life things could have been even worse.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:28 PM

NorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse-80s View Post
A Paul Nixon RIP never to be forgotten flag hanging from the Holmesdale would be a nice touch .
Would be great.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
I wonder whether Cantona, in his heart of hearts, actually feels any responsibility for Paul Nixon's death, or even any regret for the kung fu kick?