Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: As of 05/02/17 who should be first choice Goalkeeper
1 Julian Speroni 311 26.22%
13 wayne Hennessey 178 15.01%
30 Steve Mandanda 561 47.30%
Another 136 11.47%
Voters: 1186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2015, 11:52 PM

Bizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBizarro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For me the big problem is distribution, if our keeper is expected to play as a sweeper we need one who doesn't put the defence under pressure with his poor kicking.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Silly Sausage
You are so strange Tim.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Play nice now everyone

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
The trouble is, is that true or just a guess? Can you prove that a professional can or does actually shoot harder than someone on a Sunday?

I thought not!
Well they do practice more than you (as you work), can afford the latest hi-tech balls and boots. They workout to get fit and strong and eat the right foods (not Saturday night kebabs).

Most of all - they are paid to do it !!!

The question is can a keeper manage to improve his reaction times when the wrong side of 30 ? Is it always on the wane ?
Old 21-02-2015, 11:55 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
What is the BBS view on the performance of Ospina compared to Speroni today?

Without deliberately trying to wind up some of the more highly strung posters on here, I thought Ospina was quite lucky today and I didn't notice his distribution being anything special
Old 21-02-2015, 11:55 PM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
It was pretty clear that Jules was not going to be our first choice keeper under Pulis and that he had judged rightly that Jules was past his best. Despite the insane stuff about Jules being the best Argentinian keeper he was not judged to be in their top three by their coaches. He was not made a serious offer to go elsewhere despite being on a free. Hennessy did extremely well in the preseason games while from memory Jules conceded a fair few goals. Many of us have noted the dreadful parries being made and how we would be punished, it is starting to happen and if we don't try Hennessy soon we will start dropping down the table. I expect Pardew will play Hennessy away from home soon like he did against Dover and Southampton, knowing that there is less likely to be so called fans giving Wayne a hard time for displacing a fading hero. And those who say Hennessy is not up to it are basing that opinion on what? MOM performances for Wales? I truly hope he is up to it or we may really be in a relegation fight as the next few games are very winnable ones.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:57 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Time for Hennessey I think.
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
You are so strange Tim.
Thanks

You're kinda weird, in an irritating sort of way
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
You lot are idiots.

Speroni will be number one until he retires, aged 67, and we will fold the club as a mark of respect.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:58 PM
Play nice now everyone

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
For me the big problem is distribution, if our keeper is expected to play as a sweeper we need one who doesn't put the defence under pressure with his poor kicking.
If we want to be able to distribute the ball to the defence then the following applies for me.

1: Get Ward or Mariappa settled at right back.
2: Get Souare settled at left back.
3: Got to be Hangeland and Dann centre backs (sorry Delaney) as they are comfortable on the ball and can pass.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:59 PM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Quote:
You are so strange Tim.
Nice way of putting it. To describe Forster as a poor keeper really does show who Harry Enfield based Tim nice but dim on. Another international keeper not as good as Jules.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
It was pretty clear that Jules was not going to be our first choice keeper under Pulis and that he had judged rightly that Jules was past his best. Despite the insane stuff about Jules being the best Argentinian keeper he was not judged to be in their top three by their coaches. He was not made a serious offer to go elsewhere despite being on a free. Hennessy did extremely well in the preseason games while from memory Jules conceded a fair few goals. Many of us have noted the dreadful parries being made and how we would be punished, it is starting to happen and if we don't try Hennessy soon we will start dropping down the table. I expect Pardew will play Hennessy away from home soon like he did against Dover and Southampton, knowing that there is less likely to be so called fans giving Wayne a hard time for displacing a fading hero. And those who say Hennessy is not up to it are basing that opinion on what? MOM performances for Wales? I truly hope he is up to it or we may really be in a relegation fight as the next few games are very winnable ones.
Eventually Speroni will be dropped, but you have been calling the time wrongly for about 18 months now.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Omnipotent deity

Lego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLego Knight came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
So how much have you seen of Wayne Hennessey?

He played against Dover and played against Southampton where he pulled off an excellent late save.

Is Speroni playing well? No. So lets give our international goalkeeper a run of games and see if it is an improvement or not.
I've seen a lot of him sitting on the bench despite him playing under 3-4 different people. Which tells me that Jules (who has his faults which have been discussed here) still is rated and overall works better with the team.

Playing against Dover isn't the same as Arsenal. Plus how many good saves did Speroni pull-off against Leicester? One game doesn't suddenly mean you're better than someone whose played as number 1 for years.

Like I said, I don't think Speroni is beyond replacing in the off-season, but I don't think he's done enough to justify being dropped, the same way Hennessey hasn't yet done enough to justify being picked over him.

Being an international is a somewhat loose credential, I could play international football for the Cook Islands, doesn't make me good. And let's not forget, many last year were hoping Jules would be picked by Argentina, who are far better than Wales.

Last edited by Lego Knight; 22-02-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
Well they do practice more than you (as you work), can afford the latest hi-tech balls and boots. They workout to get fit and strong and eat the right foods (not Saturday night kebabs).

Most of all - they are paid to do it !!!

The question is can a keeper manage to improve his reaction times when the wrong side of 30 ? Is it always on the wane ?
I don't really know the answer and not sure why Jules is on the decline. He certainly upped his game last year.

Whilst what you say is fair, it's not actually proven fact of course.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
Nice way of putting it. To describe Forster as a poor keeper really does show who Harry Enfield based Tim nice but dim on. Another international keeper not as good as Jules.
I think I actually said Forster made a lot of mistakes. I made no direct comparison, but doubtless you will soon correct me if I am wrong
Old 22-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Play nice now everyone

Quote:
Speroni's kicking never seems to be aimed at any Palace in particular.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
What is the BBS view on the performance of Ospina compared to Speroni today?

Without deliberately trying to wind up some of the more highly strung posters on here, I thought Ospina was quite lucky today and I didn't notice his distribution being anything special
Not seen it but he seems to have done well for Arsenal. Good record of clean sheets for them, and they seem to have steadied the ship at the back since he came in. I remember him being pretty decent with his feet in the World Cup last year though.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Quote:
Kicking is not long, and usually high but overall not too many distribution problems today!

He came to collect several balls on the ground and made a few regulation saves

Performance on goal 2 has been debated but Ospina also had difficulty collecting the ball and made a few odd decisions

Overall, a decent performance from Speroni
Old 22-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
I think I actually said Forster made a lot of mistakes. I made no direct comparison, but doubtless you will soon correct me if I am wrong
I don't remember any. I know he should have saved Shelvey's shot the other week, and should have held a free kick a la Jules against Sheffield United in the League Cup. But other than that I am struggling to think of any.

FF is also 6 inches taller than Jules, excellent in the air, commands his box, is quick off his line and dominant in a one on one situation and can play with his feet.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
Speroni's kicking never seems to be aimed at any Palace in particular.
Indeed his kicking aint great and it is a weakness but on the other hand I don't remember any cases of him miskicking so bad that a goal results directly.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Quote:
I don't remember any. I know he should have saved Shelvey's shot the other week, and should have held a free kick a la Jules against Sheffield United in the League Cup. But other than that I am struggling to think of any.

FF is also 6 inches taller than Jules, excellent in the air, commands his box, is quick off his line and dominant in a one on one situation and can play with his feet.
Almost a cordial post!!

Anyway I am going for a short swim, I will be back soon to receive the rest of my kicking from you and the other Speroni BooBoys
Closed Thread