Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Yeah found it hard to listen to Kevin Day. At one stage I could sense a bust up was on the cards with Street holding back on not upsetting or Kevin further. Kevin seemed to contradict himself over the whole thing really. That said it was a great show. Probably summed how most of us feel with the 4 opinions. Well done guys.
Old 15-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Kidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is here
Kevin Day is a top bloke who's just trying to look on the brightside I think
Old 15-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidofwonder View Post
Of course he is. We are lucky to gave him on there. Hard to listen to but great listening at the same time... ☺️��
Old 15-08-2017, 09:25 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
He's a older fan that has seen darker days than this... he adds perspective.
Old 15-08-2017, 09:28 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
He's a older fan that has seen darker days than this... he adds perspective.
He also somehow adds a real professionalism to the pod. Don't agree with a lot of what he says but he's entertaining.
Old 16-08-2017, 08:35 PM
JD

Trilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Good pod. Top input from Kevin who thankfully, and manfully, managed to stop it from descending into a depressing maelstrom. The result was that it became more balanced. Some good and bad points (depending on perspective) but rounded which TBH was quite an achievement.

I have to add that a few times I have posted last year (constructive, I hope) concerns as a listener that Kev can sometimes, inadvertently hog the mic a little, and enthusiastically talk over the others. This hasn't been the case so far this year and he handled it well when it happened to him. So fair dos, only fair that I should post the positives/improvements.

Good session and not an easy one guys.
Thanks bud, appreciate the kind words.
Old 16-08-2017, 09:59 PM
A gift

CarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfcben View Post
Exactly. This "best coach in the world" is a complete myth. One of the most famous defenders in the world I agree.
Yeah, this is my only issue with the pods this season.

FdB is certainly a glamorous appointment but it is grating hearing Kevin and Co. describe him as a world class manager, when his actual managerial record doesn't back that opinion up. To be fair, this is a view shared by a lot of the BBS and lots of non-Palace mates who tell me what a great appointment it is and are shocked when I say I think it's a big risk and wish desperately Big Sam hadn't left.

I know it's a fan-run pod and is prone to being biased and optimistic but I would have liked it if Kevin was challenged more on this opinion to represent the views of Palace fans, like myself, who are objectively questioning the appointment. I had hoped Street's questioning of his world class credentials would have lead to a longer debate instead of being washed away with a tidal wave of Kevin hyperbole about how lucky we are.

I can't imagine the same excitement over Steve McLaren just after he'd won the Eredivisie with a much weaker team than FdB had.

I'm not unhappy or deliriously happy with the appointment. I'm giving FdB time before forming an opinion on him and it would be good if that tone was reflected more in the pod.

Cheers Poddyboys,

Carlos
Old 16-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Banned by Moderators

jimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I agree. De Boer was a world class footballer, no doubt, but as we've seen time and time again, that is by no means indicative of potential as a manager. If anything i'd say it's maybe slightly detrimental, as they are used to working with the absolute top, and maybe lack the ability to see through the eyes of more limited players.

Alan Shearer, John Barnes, David Platt were all world class footballers, would we be lucky to have them?
Old 16-08-2017, 11:03 PM
JD

Trilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTrilby came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the gent View Post
I agree. De Boer was a world class footballer, no doubt, but as we've seen time and time again, that is by no means indicative of potential as a manager. If anything i'd say it's maybe slightly detrimental, as they are used to working with the absolute top, and maybe lack the ability to see through the eyes of more limited players.

Alan Shearer, John Barnes, David Platt were all world class footballers, would we be lucky to have them?
Zinedine Zidane, Ronald Koeman, Pep Guardiola, Antonio Conte, Diego Simeone, Didier Deschamps...what's your point?
Old 16-08-2017, 11:10 PM
gastros/kids/delis/olives

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosTheFinger View Post
I had hoped Street's questioning of his world class credentials would have lead to a longer debate instead of being washed away with a tidal wave of Kevin hyperbole about how lucky we are.
There's no need to ram home the point just yet. I questioned the statement, as I fundamentally don't agree with it, but don't think we need a full exposition on it after only one game. That can come in time. Incidentally, I would have gone to town on the point had I been on the pod just after his appointment, which I missed.
Old 16-08-2017, 11:12 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosTheFinger View Post
Yeah, this is my only issue with the pods this season.

FdB is certainly a glamorous appointment but it is grating hearing Kevin and Co. describe him as a world class manager, when his actual managerial record doesn't back that opinion up. To be fair, this is a view shared by a lot of the BBS and lots of non-Palace mates who tell me what a great appointment it is and are shocked when I say I think it's a big risk and wish desperately Big Sam hadn't left.

I know it's a fan-run pod and is prone to being biased and optimistic but I would have liked it if Kevin was challenged more on this opinion to represent the views of Palace fans, like myself, who are objectively questioning the appointment. I had hoped Street's questioning of his world class credentials would have lead to a longer debate instead of being washed away with a tidal wave of Kevin hyperbole about how lucky we are.

I can't imagine the same excitement over Steve McLaren just after he'd won the Eredivisie with a much weaker team than FdB had.

I'm not unhappy or deliriously happy with the appointment. I'm giving FdB time before forming an opinion on him and it would be good if that tone was reflected more in the pod.

Cheers Poddyboys,

Carlos
Not wishing to put the boot in, but another stat that flies in the face of the 'world class' assertion is that in the 6 years his Ajax were in the Champions League they never once progressed pass the group stage. Subsequently placed into the Europa League they never made it further than the last 16.
Old 16-08-2017, 11:23 PM
gastros/kids/delis/olives

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidofwonder View Post
Indeed he is, and he is of course correct that it's only one game in.
Old 16-08-2017, 11:55 PM
Banned by Moderators

jimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Zinedine Zidane, Ronald Koeman, Pep Guardiola, Antonio Conte, Diego Simeone, Didier Deschamps...what's your point?
It's quite clear what my point is - that being a great player is no guarantee of being a great manager.

Also Alex Fergusson, Arsene Wenger, Bobby Robson, Jose Mourinho, Brian Clough, Bob Paisley, Matt Busby and Bill Shankly are the most successful managers in English football history. None of them were anything near world class as players.
Old 17-08-2017, 12:15 AM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I think Alf Ramsey, Don Revie and Herbert Chapman might have a thing or two to say about that.
Anyway, shall we just say that de Boer needs this to work and his pedigree suggests he'll make a fist of it? It's true that Kevin is older and might take a longer view. I met three very dispirited young Palace fans at a party on Saturday night and I was giving them the same sort of gee-up.
Old 17-08-2017, 12:38 AM
Stick with Dowie. Oh dear

Wright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWright+Bright came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My previous comment in the thread was not very constructive- apologies guys. I found Kevin hard to listen to in this pod but I'd certainly miss his input if he wasn't there. I always enjoy listening so thanks for putting in the effort - it's much appreciated!
Old 17-08-2017, 12:59 AM

cowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcowlin87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Love the pods and keep them coming. Think that I'm with Kevin (although one of the best coach in the world bit is a bit strong).

De Boer has been brought in to play a certain way. This would not have been a secret at the interview stage and certainly won't be now. There will be signings and things will get better. People need to calm down and take a step back.
I have been telling people for weeks that 433 is not some godly system which we have won hundreds of games with or won the league or cups with. We have lost more than we have won in the premier league and fought relegation every year. There is another way!

Keep up the good work guys
Old 20-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Pod Extra added after the Liverpool game
Old 21-08-2017, 01:32 PM

Reg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietReg_Maudling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Should Scott Dann be asked to play like Ruud Krol at the back or like Marco Van Basten upfront? Or should he be put in midfield and asked to play like Johan Cruyff?
Old 21-08-2017, 03:24 PM
JD

Recording tonight if anyone has any questions...
Old 21-08-2017, 04:00 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Douglas Freedman - your thoughts if you please?
Closed Thread