Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: What should SP do after 13 games if next 4 league games are losses?
Back! 625 60.74%
Sack! 196 19.05%
Back until January! 178 17.30%
Moo/other?! 30 2.92%
Voters: 1029. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-10-2018, 10:35 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Think he will be gone after West Ham.

The next 4 are tough but we are behind the curve in comparison to the similar games last term. After that run in the comparative games last season we had 10 points, its seems almost inconceivable that we will match that.

The problem is in the 3 games after that run, Burnley, Brighton and West Ham, we took 5 points last season so there is not much room for catch up there.

We had 19 points on New Years Day last season so given our start you could see the points were starting to come. If we haven't got at least 12 after West Ham then the position becomes almost impossible as we would have no chance of getting to the half way points total by New Year.

I wonder if he would be sacked though - I think it is more likely he will walk away.
Old 23-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
He may be sacked in the future for results in the past- The Soton, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Wolves & Everton games were shockingly managed IMO. 1 point from those is staggering actually.

He picks the wrong team and makes the wrong substitutes. Very frustrating.

That said - Its not his fault that we signed nobody in the summer - Or at least nobody that has made an impact. Its classic Palace to not kick on from a place of strength.

He has one last throw IMO - He needs a victory against one of the big boys. Big ask that.
Old 23-10-2018, 10:54 AM

Green Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigGcpfc View Post
He has had lots of praise and credit for what he did last year. He is now a year older but none the wiser. His team has gone backwards and to be honest it doesn't like he knows how to fix it.
Our last 3 transfer windows have been pretty average, none of which have solved the problem of finding a goal scoring striker who can hold the ball up, and dominate defences. Obviously not helped with Wickham being out for so long. Benteke gave us a brief respite for a season, but his travails last year didn't help our cause. Despite that by the end of the season we were playing really good football and scoring goals. part of that was RLC's improvement (his ability to hold the ball up and drive forward) and Wilf being on top of his game....RLC is not here and Wilf has definitely been affected, by injuries, constant fouling and having to shoulder so much of the creative burden.

Against that our defence looks more solid than it has for many a year, and would look better if we had scored a few goals to defend with. Midfield wise I think we are looking organised and being quite aggressive going forward, Max Meyer obviously needs to grow into his game over here and Roy is rightly not pushing him too fast. Kouyate looks a powerful addition too

Results tend to colour views on performance, and while we haven't performed at the highest level for all 90+mins, only the Southampton game comes across as one where we weren't really up for it.

We not been smashed, it fact we've looked pretty tight for most games, but have lacked that cutting edge. But we missed out on goals by small margins. A fit again Wickham could be the difference.

I don't believe there is anything fundamentally wrong with this side, I would say players like PVA, Jimmy Mac, Tomkin, Wayne AT, are playing as well as last year. and AWB is still progressing well. I don't see the point of ditching Roy (when he has not been probably backed) at this stage, unless you can also find the answer to the striker issue at the same time...I also think it highly disrespectful...people need to mxn up and stop looking for 'Lazy' options
Old 23-10-2018, 10:58 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Back. As long as he accepts schlupp isn’t working in midfield and prioritises a striker in January

Only major error for me has been playing schlupp in midfield when he’s been so awful there.

The rest have fitness etc justifications

We need a ******* striker.

The team is well organised and fighting. It’s literally been taking chances. If we scored the normal ratio of good chances we’d be top half now. Add a striker to that team and stick Meyer in for schlupp we’re laughing
Old 23-10-2018, 11:01 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
The only thin that would make Steve consider sacking him is if the players lose the effort. It starts looking like he might lose the dressing room and bfs is flirting with other clubs. If sam says I’ll come back long term etc but will go elsewhere soon Steve would be tempted
Old 23-10-2018, 11:06 AM

CPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC85 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Back him.
Old 23-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
One person should have backed him with a real striker after Bens performances last year. SP has not given him the tools to win. Usual shite cheapskate crap loanee
Old 23-10-2018, 11:11 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
The team is well organised and fighting. It’s literally been taking chances. If we scored the normal ratio of good chances we’d be top half now. Add a striker to that team and stick Meyer in for schlupp we’re laughing
If we had scored at the rate our chances deserved, and every other team had done the same, we would be 13th instead of 15th with 3 more goals and a couple of extra points.

Hopefully that regression to the mean will happen this weekend because the team scoring at a higher rate than what they are creating is Arsenal so could do with them failing to take any chances!

Our 3 goalscorers, Zaha, PVA and Schlupp are still all outscoring their expectations, however Luka, Benteke and McArthur should all have scored by now with their accululated chances.

*All based on the modelling by understat.

Most interestingly is the quality of chances our midfielders are creating. Townsend leads the way, but even his expected assist level is 0.75 after 9 games. There is just no creativity in the side and that is down to Roy!
Old 23-10-2018, 11:16 AM

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMARK PALACE TILL I DIE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
No brainer - I am firmly in the Back camp - Just hope SP backs him too especially in the next Transfer Window - Yes we could all question some of Roy's tactical policies - However most of our Players need to take a hard look at themselves - lots are under performing at the moment.
Old 23-10-2018, 11:17 AM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
Without question we should be backing Roy Hodgson not just for the "miracle" of last season which showed he has the nous needed to get us out of this rut. But in fairness to RH for the undeserved stick he is getting now, he did warn at the start of the season the squad was desperately in need of strengthening and it lacked overall quality.
How right he has been proved as without those additional TWO quality players in addition to the players brought in would have made all the difference, the reality is we had a total net spend of Under 20m which was paltry compared to what many of the other teams of a similar stature to Palace spent on a SINGLE player, but sadly RH was not fully supported by the Board even after pulling off that Houdini act, and therein lays our problem.
Yes RH has made mistakes so is not blame free, mainly in his judgement with negative tactics, also lack of early subs when the situation was called for, showing loyalty to players when out of form (Luka) and Schlupp who clearly is Not 1st team material, but then what alternatives does he really have at his disposal? as we have too many "passengers" in our squad is the harsh reality.
Regardless to who we have as the manager he will need supporting to survive in a very tough and competitive premiership, and If we are to avoid another fight against relegation then the January window is going to be crucial.
Old 23-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Palace since 1970

Gazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazpacho came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Back, although something clearly not right.

Roy is a gent. A very nice man with not a bad word to say to anybody it seems.

In my opinion some of the players have taken advantage of that, thinking it will be Ok to put in less than 100% committed performances. Some don't look fit either.

And, there seems to be no 'nasty' about this team. A group of pussy cats who would rather lick their wounds than get stuck in and be brave. Some give away possession far too easily and hold back from being strong in the tackle.

Being lax has become acceptable.

Added to that we haven't quite found the right system and we don't have anyone who can 'finish'. We've invested in three big target men, Sorloth, Wickham and Benteke - all have been frustrating for one reason or another.

We are a minimum of a player or two short and we need an old pro on the coaching staff to help get this lot focused correctly and up to speed.

Norman Wisdom.
Old 23-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Loafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is here
What if we win the next 4?

Do the Sackers turn to Backers?

And Roy gets the Freedom of Croydon Back?
Old 23-10-2018, 11:23 AM

EaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesSnapBack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Back
Old 23-10-2018, 11:31 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafster View Post

Well of course they do, but we all know that is not going to happen so it's a pretty pointless debate. If you truly believe that then you should be looking for odds rather than being on the BBS.
Old 23-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Sack and bring in the best manager out there, Benitez. He gets the best out of an average squad and is all about creativity.

Hang on.....
Old 23-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafster View Post

Yes he would have proved me and others wrong.

But I have a feeling he won’t
Old 23-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
I presume that all the "sack"-ers weren't singing "He's one of our own" after the last game of last season ?
Old 23-10-2018, 11:47 AM

steve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteve hail came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This is a ridiculous poll, but since it exists, I've voted BACK. Obviously.
Old 23-10-2018, 11:47 AM

Wayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is hereWayne Andrews is God Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin eagle View Post
Let him buy actual players he wants in January. Back him.
How do you know he wants players we havent bought?
Old 23-10-2018, 11:59 AM

legaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is herelegaleagle2 Sam the man is here
Back.

And speaking of 'back' some people need to get a bit of backbone.