Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:45 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
Personally, I'd love Sakho to stay on, but those wages are preventing us from having the kind of squad needed by an established PL club. The last window highlighted this, maybe January too. I realise Zaha and Townsend are on big wedge too (nobody would pay for Bentekkers now), but Sakho has got his Eye on Champions league football.
OK, but we also need to recognise that 100K is no longer the top salary bracket. The bigger clubs are paying up to 3X that for their top players. How much is van Dijk on ? Most middle-ranking clubs must have a few players on >100K.
Which also suggests the importance of smart recruitment of lesser known talents - Palace talk the talk, but are just not good enough at identification and recruitment.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Super Furry Animal

Riley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is here
Roy and his helplessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
I have seen this reported in several places also.
Edit: Apologies, I was banging on about something else. But maybe there’s a related point in there about wages too as they’ll have incentives etc.

What 9m for Gayle? Really?

Still, I don’t trust newspapers’ reporting of transfer fees. They’ll almost always report the figure that would be paid if all add-ons came to fruition.

I don’t even believe we’ve paid 9m for Sorloth and certainly not up front. But i think it’s important because it skews fans’ perceptions of players, which can have a knock-on effects.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 PM

cockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is here
It's stunning to see that people who follow Palace & football for 1000's of hours every year still have yet to work out that the club never disclose details of transfers nor wages, and neither do players, aside from the odd utter fool.

These figures are put out by player agents whose main interest is their income, which is percentage based. Their motivation is to drive inflation of transfers and wages generally, since the higher the (real) figures, the high their incomes.
Old 24-01-2019, 02:30 PM

Sewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSewell's lob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russboy View Post
The theme that runs through so many transfer windows is a failure to prepare. When van Dijk went to Liverpool from Saints it was annouced a couple of days before the window opened, so there is nothing to prevent clubs talking beforehand. Parish claims* clubs our size have to wait for the market to move ('bargain hunt' at the end of the window) but other modest clubs seem to quietly get transfers done. Sorloth is a great example of this failure - we desperately needed a striker but my sense is with Sako making a great impact we put that on hold until he was injured v West Ham. So we paid 9M for Sorloth who had recently gone for 400k as we were right against the deadline. The result of this is we then go to the next window and claim to have no money, which may be true but is entirely the fault of vanity signings (Sakho and Benteke) and the overpaying for the likes of Sorloth and Schlupp (amongst others). Getting a Les Read type in and putting a proper infrastructure into the club would be a far better use of our resources. Failure to prepare is preparing to fail and that seems to be the order of the day at present.

* the claim by Parish the Americans insisted on signing Benteke seems rather far fetched. Possibly trying to deflect his failings in recruitment to blame an easy scapegoat.
A Les Reed 'type' maybe but surely not Les Reed. Things fell apart for him pretty quickly for him at Southampton.
Old 24-01-2019, 02:51 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russboy View Post
The theme that runs through so many transfer windows is a failure to prepare. When van Dijk went to Liverpool from Saints it was annouced a couple of days before the window opened, so there is nothing to prevent clubs talking beforehand. Parish claims* clubs our size have to wait for the market to move ('bargain hunt' at the end of the window) but other modest clubs seem to quietly get transfers done. Sorloth is a great example of this failure - we desperately needed a striker but my sense is with Sako making a great impact we put that on hold until he was injured v West Ham. So we paid 9M for Sorloth who had recently gone for 400k as we were right against the deadline. The result of this is we then go to the next window and claim to have no money, which may be true but is entirely the fault of vanity signings (Sakho and Benteke) and the overpaying for the likes of Sorloth and Schlupp (amongst others). Getting a Les Read type in and putting a proper infrastructure into the club would be a far better use of our resources. Failure to prepare is preparing to fail and that seems to be the order of the day at present.

* the claim by Parish the Americans insisted on signing Benteke seems rather far fetched. Possibly trying to deflect his failings in recruitment to blame an easy scapegoat.
Vvan Dijk went for an insane amount of money and it benefited Southampton to have this early on in the window to spend January seeking a replacement. But if hypothetically Southampton had offered us a sum of money for Tomkins to replace him that we thought was worthwhile we would hold out on selling him until we had a replacement with the limited funds etc

I agree our recruitment network could do with sharpening up some what but it isn't a myth that this is a difficult transfer window for all clubs.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni