Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 17-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Street Fighter II

I know there have been various games over the years, and SF V is due out this year, but none for me can beat Street Fighter II (and Championship / Turbo editions). All went a bit weird after that.

I was reading a piece last week which talked about defining games and how usually it is platformer / adventure type games, but SFII was one of THE biggest games ever, and it changed how people viewed beat-em-ups. The genre has kind of died off, but this is the onw game through most of my childhood that I grew up playing.

Even today despite the grainy graphics and elctro kind of music it still holds up pretty well and is very playable. A lot of games don't tend to age that well. I started really thinking about it when Ryu (my all time favourite SF character) was released for Super Smash Bros.

My early memories was playing SFII in the arcade on our camp site. The machine they put the cartridge in only had three buttons so we could only ever do punch moves and couldn't figure out how to do the kicks (we couldn't). A lot of people I knew completed the game with ease as Guile, Chun-Li and Blanka, but I as an 8 year old was the first to complete it as Ryu (with only punches remember!). So many good memories of this game, and wasting so many 20p's. Not to mention getting it as a package with my SNES and then getting Turbo too.

Must be some others of us on the BBS who are SFII veterans? It's a shame SFV is a PS4 exclusive, would have liked to give it a go. Sho-Ryu-Ken!
Old 17-07-2015, 11:39 AM
ACII

Oddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ahh, queuing up at the kebab shop at Blackheath standard to challenge, 1.50 for kebab meat and chips, good times.

A doo ged !

Are you ged !

E.Honda was the nuts.
Old 17-07-2015, 06:24 PM

jobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is here
Had this on the SNES!
Played many an hour trying to beat Bison on the hardest setting as Ken
Old 17-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobiinthelastmi View Post
Had this on the SNES!
Played many an hour trying to beat Bison on the hardest setting as Ken
Ken... The we can't do it the normal way so have to do it the easy version of Ryu. Aka the American way.
Old 17-07-2015, 06:38 PM

jobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Ken... The we can't do it the normal way so have to do it the easy version of Ryu. Aka the American way.
They're the same
Old 17-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Werkself

Quote:
They're the same
Ken always seemed to have faster quicker moves. May have had equal damage but always seemed like Ken was "stronger". Is Capcom American?
Old 17-07-2015, 07:21 PM

maestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is here
TURBO!

http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/
Old 17-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Werkself

I know it's not necessarily an interesting story but I quite like how they had to switch the Balrog, Vega and M. Bison names from the Japanese release because of the infringement on Mike Tyson.

The thing is M. Bison is a very good name for the last boss, Vega is a Spanish name so suits the Spanish bullfighter, and Balrog just seems to go well for a Mike Tyson look a like boxer.
Old 17-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Werkself

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
TURBO!
The Turbo / Hyper Fighting thing used to confuse me a little. In the arcade I just remember it being referredto as Hyper Fighting, on the SNES just as Turbo but in a lot of articles it is rcalled Hyper Fighting Turbo. Back in the day I didn't really notice a difference but a lot of the music is so different from arcade to console. Amd of course on the SNES you didn't have the arcade intro.
Old 17-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
The Turbo / Hyper Fighting thing used to confuse me a little. In the arcade I just remember it being referredto as Hyper Fighting, on the SNES just as Turbo but in a lot of articles it is rcalled Hyper Fighting Turbo. Back in the day I didn't really notice a difference but a lot of the music is so different from arcade to console. Amd of course on the SNES you didn't have the arcade intro.
On the SNES you could raise the speed in options and you could do the spinning kick with Ken/Ryu after jumping
Old 17-07-2015, 07:35 PM

maestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is here
Quote:
I can only remember Turbo on the snes, I cant recall any mention to Hyper.

I remember you could adjust the speed of the game, SF2 is probably imo the best figher game ever for its time.

My best mate liked mortal combat but I never could get into that

http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/
Old 17-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Always late for kick-off

3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
"Spinning Bird Kick!!"
Old 17-07-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Ken always seemed to have faster quicker moves. May have had equal damage but always seemed like Ken was "stronger". Is Capcom American?
Think they're exactly the same excpet a throw possibly?

Capcom is Japanese I'm sure.
Old 17-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Werkself

Turbo and Hyper Fighting are the same, they just seem to be referred different between the arcade / console games. I can't remember what level I used to play on to be honest.

A few moves got altered for Turbo. You could do the spinning bird kick mid air too. And Chun-Li got a fireball move in turbo. Champion Edition was just the original game but you could play as the bosses, and characters had new palettes.
Old 17-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Between matches

MasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Capcom is Japanese I'm sure.
Very Japanese
Old 18-07-2015, 10:03 AM
STFU Donny

TopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is here
Quote:
This is correct I think, for vanilla SF2. Then with more iterations they made each a little more different (Ken fiery dragon punch, ryus spinning kick knocking over after only 1 hit etc) and in recent games they are quite different.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Bass Man

bunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I had SFII Turbo on snes and played the shiz out of it. I liked playing as chun li and guile.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Werkself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunter View Post
I had SFII Turbo on snes and played the shiz out of it. I liked playing as chun li and guile.
Guile was so good, which was weird as he had the most limited moveset of any of the characters in the game. He only officially had the Sonic Boom and Moon Kick.

Zangief I am trying to think if he had two or three moves... I know he had the bloody hardest move to pull off with the spinning piledriver.

Saying all of that I guess when Balrog became playable he was the most limited as he couldn't kick.
Old 18-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Lurker

sirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Chun Li was hot as well
Old 18-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Banned by Moderators

Precocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screenPrecocious.Moi? has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Sho Ryu Ken!