Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Stroud1

minch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ's right boot View Post
Somehow in this crazy transfer market he's managed to improve the squad with a spend of £9.5 million. Bravo Mr P.
Not only that, but he's secured Roy's Contract for another season and has the Stadium refurbishment plans in motion. Having said that he didn't strike me as his usual upbeat self when interviewed at the end of the transfer window. I reckon he had plans to buy from abroad which maybe got dropped due to the drop in the exchange rate thanks to Carney and Hammond talking down the sterling exchange rate and the stock market.

Overall though what a brilliant job he has done.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 PM
The Expat Eagle

TheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
To be fair to Parish, he has been running the club like that since he took over. The alleged fall out with Pulis was over Pulis’s list of targets which had on it established Premier League players who could do a job but who had no resale value - Crouch, Walters, Hangeland etc. Even the Benteke and Sakho purchases were not bad business when taking into account their respective ages when we bought them. Cabaye was probably an error, age wise, but Parish hasn’t made too many bad calls from the perspective of buying players that he can sell on for a profit.
Why would you say Cabaye was an error even given his age? Fair enough you could say we've lost £10m as he walked away for free but it's closer to say that Benteke was more of error given his value isn't close to what we paid.

This is partly because of his form but mainly because that type of striker isn't in fashion any more. Giroud went from Arsenal to Chelsea for about £15m last season and I'd say Benteke isn't as good as him.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 PM
The Expat Eagle

TheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheExpatEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
Gayle
Jedinak
McCarthy
Bolasie
Mandanda
Campana

All sold on for decent fees from memory
McCarthy? Paddy? He retired through injury.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 PM
The Expat Eagle

Quote:
All generated profits on a fee basis, as did Murray, but in reality we could have generated profits on several players had we chosen to sell them but we kept them at the club. It’s about building a squad with as few mistakes as possible. Parish said last night that turning a net profit on a deal overall is almost impossible. If a sold player is worth £10m, you need to buy a player for £10m to replace him or over that to improve. He called it balance in the market I think?
Once you factor in signing on fee and agent fee you probably have £7m of the £10m to spend on a player.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 PM
The Expat Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ's right boot View Post
Somehow in this crazy transfer market he's managed to improve the squad with a spend of £9.5 million. Bravo Mr P.
No, he clearly has not improved the squad.

We lost Delaney, Lee, Sako, Cabaye, RLC, TFM, the keeper and one or two others.

We've signed 4 players who may prove to be individually better than the 4 best players we lost but collectively the 4 new players are not better than the ones we lost.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpatEagle View Post
McCarthy? Paddy? He retired through injury.
Pretty sure he's talking about the goalkeeper, Alex McCarthy
Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
All generated profits on a fee basis, as did Murray, but in reality we could have generated profits on several players had we chosen to sell them but we kept them at the club. It’s about building a squad with as few mistakes as possible. Parish said last night that turning a net profit on a deal overall is almost impossible. If a sold player is worth £10m, you need to buy a player for £10m to replace him or over that to improve. He called it balance in the market I think?
That confirms that you were missing the point. Perhaps you hadn’t read the post I was responding to.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:08 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:

We've signed 4 players who may prove to be individually better than the 4 best players we lost but collectively the 4 new players are not better than the ones we lost.
I actually think we needed to trim the squad a little bit. So I'm not too worried about losing the 'one or two others'. Fosu-Mensah was already out of the picture, although I agree he was still useful for depth/ insurance.

Whether the new boys will be as effective as the five of Cabaye, RLC, Sako, Cavalieri and Lee does indeed remain to be seen.

But Guaita is obviously a more serious contender for the number 1 spot than Cavalieri was. Loftus-Cheek was never ours and the other three are all over 30 now. So if Meyer (22 y.o) Kouyate (28) and Ayew (26) all perform well I would argue the squad is now in a stronger shape. That is of course very much an if at this point in time. Only time will tell, proof will be in the pudding etc.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM
not quite so junior

gregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Landgregors is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Land
Quote:

STRANGE VIEW. You will never ever be happy.....
Old 10-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
Pretty sure he's talking about the goalkeeper, Alex McCarthy
Correct

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 10-08-2018, 08:35 PM

Fitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFitzie123 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

......what?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:37 PM
89 pts and EPL ready HAHA

Eaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is hereEaglefoz Sam the man is here
Quote:

Yet we have got AWB who has come through the youth, CW, SD coming back from injury and JW if we need them. Let alone one or two other youth players on the fringe.

I cannot see how anyone can be less than happy with what was acheived in window.

Last edited by Eaglefoz; 10-08-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:47 PM

Dodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDodger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
When we loaned TFM, Wan Bissaka wasn’t anywhere near 1st team and ultimately became a better replacement.

Delaney, Lee and Cavalieri were clearly never 1st team quality, everyone new is.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
That confirms that you were missing the point. Perhaps you hadn’t read the post I was responding to.
Sorry - maybe we were at cross purposes. There were quite a few posts clashing. I was, in a couple of posts, responding to three points. The first was that we have, not all the time but occasionally, moved senior players on for profits even if mostly not huge. The second was that one of the reasons for that was that we had mainly managed to keep our “coveted” players (a point Roy made today) who would have generated profits at various times - McArthur would be an example.

The other was around not developing and cashing in on young hidden gems - eg Watkins. I actually think there are a couple of reasons for that. Firstly, we have relied for better or worse on PL experience as we have usually been in a battle to stay up. We took a few gambles on players like Anderson but they didn’t come off. The second reason is that that sort of process now seems to happen in L1 or the Champ rather than the PL. The exception is Academy products which is the direction the club is going with the planned redevelopment. Imagine how much AWB could be worth if he continues to develop? Or Kirby if he comes through. Wilf is the perfect example of how it can work, but when you find someone that good there is also huge fan pressure to hang on to him.

Anyway - a discussion for another transfer window now!

Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Watching from Warmington

Quote:

One of the oddest post window posts. How on earth can you say that Delaney, Lee, Rakip, Cavialeri and Jach (loaned) we’re remotely adding any quality to our squad, they were pure filler. Sako had one good patch in 4 years, and TFM got replaced by AWB. Only Loftus-Cheek and Cabaye were first team regulars.

Guaita, Meyer, Kouyate and Ayew, plus Wickham and soon Dann coming back gives RH a much better balanced squad to work with, and he said as much today.

As someone else said - if you think we are worse off this year you will never be happy with our players.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:03 PM

alexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalexcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
One of the oddest post window posts. How on earth can you say that Delaney, Lee, Rakip, Cavialeri and Jach (loaned) we’re remotely adding any quality to our squad, they were pure filler. Sako had one good patch in 4 years, and TFM got replaced by AWB. Only Loftus-Cheek and Cabaye were first team regulars.

Guaita, Meyer, Kouyate and Ayew, plus Wickham and soon Dann coming back gives RH a much better balanced squad to work with, and he said as much today.

As someone else said - if you think we are worse off this year you will never be happy with our players.

Maybe he was trying to be funny. Strange post all the same.

We have without a doubt a stronger squad, quality and competition all over and a manager who coaches his players. Can’t wait.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sorry - maybe we were at cross purposes. There were quite a few posts clashing. I was, in a couple of posts, responding to three points. The first was that we have, not all the time but occasionally, moved senior players on for profits even if mostly not huge. The second was that one of the reasons for that was that we had mainly managed to keep our “coveted” players (a point Roy made today) who would have generated profits at various times - McArthur would be an example.

The other was around not developing and cashing in on young hidden gems - eg Watkins. I actually think there are a couple of reasons for that. Firstly, we have relied for better or worse on PL experience as we have usually been in a battle to stay up. We took a few gambles on players like Anderson but they didn’t come off. The second reason is that that sort of process now seems to happen in L1 or the Champ rather than the PL. The exception is Academy products which is the direction the club is going with the planned redevelopment. Imagine how much AWB could be worth if he continues to develop? Or Kirby if he comes through. Wilf is the perfect example of how it can work, but when you find someone that good there is also huge fan pressure to hang on to him.

Anyway - a discussion for another transfer window now!
Yep, no big deal. All about Fulham now.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 PM

rambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglefoz View Post
Yet we have got AWB who has come through the youth, CW, SD coming back from injury and JW if we need them. Let alone one or two other youth players on the fringe.

I cannot see how anyone can be less than happy with what was acheived in window.

Absolutely.
With the Signings of Jordan Ayew,Vicente Guaita,Cheikhou Kouyate & Max Meyer.The Return from Loans of Sullay KaiKai & Jonny Williams to Replace Yohan Cabaye,Diego Cavalieri,Damien Delaney,Chung-Yong Lee,Rubin Loftus-Cheek & Bakary Sako.Think,Ryan Inniss,will be Released.Our Squad is Stronger.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 PM

rambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglefoz View Post

Absolutely.
With the Signings of Jordan Ayew,Vicente Guaita,Cheikhou Kouyate & Max Meyer.
The Return from Loans of Sullay KaiKai & Jonny Williams to Replace Yohan Cabaye,Diego Cavalieri,Damien Delaney,
Chung-Yong Lee,Rubin Loftus-Cheek & Bakary Sako.Think,Ryan Inniss,will be Released.Our Squad is Stronger.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Forgot Murray, but we made profits on both, which is I think a decent achievement given their troubled spells with us.

Regarding unknowns - we have tried it Anderson, Appiah, Ladapo come to mind, none work out. Very few PL teams make big money or uncover gems from lower league players now, only Alli and Lookman come to mind recently. Young “unknowns” on low fees don’t really exist anymore. Look at the fee for Maddison after one good season, or the figures being quoted for Ollie Watkins. For a middle rank team like us, sell on profits are either going to come from overseas fresh faces like Luka, or Academy products who become “too good for us”.
I agree the academy is one way forward but we have to be open to all options. You say these unknown players are rare so let me use the England team as an example, before they became established PL players :

Pickford - Sunderland academy
Trippier - Burnley>Spurs for £3.5m
Walker - Sheffield Utd>Spurs for about £5m
Stones - Barnsley>Everton for £3m
Maguire - Sheffield Utd>Hull for £2.5m
Young - Watford academy
Henderson - Sunderland academy
Alli - Milton Keynes>Spurs for £5m
Lingard - Man U academy
Sterling - QPR>Liverpool for £600k
Kane - Spurs academy

5 were genuine academy players come good and the other 6 bought from lower league clubs for relative small fees and most sold on for massive profit. This is just one example to show how it is possible to buy unknown players and turn them into good ones with good scouting and a longer term outlook, something Spurs have done very well it would appear.

The main problem is trying to change the mindset of the club whilst maintaining a decent current squad, which is not an easy task, however is a nettle Parish really does need to grasp.