Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 27-12-2017, 06:54 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Joined Blackburn after our interest, promptly grabbed a brace at selhurst on his debut, wasnt it?
yep cracking opener 3-3 on a sweltering day, Osborn grabbing a point with a header in the final seconds.
Old 27-12-2017, 07:24 PM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
yep cracking opener 3-3 on a sweltering day, Osborn grabbing a point with a header in the final seconds.
Standing on the old Holmesdale that day.

May be wrong but I thought I remembered that Coppell offered for a double of Shearer and Le Tiss, but fell through 'cause Le Tiss wouldn't move.

Maybe my old memory playing up though.
Old 27-12-2017, 08:57 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yes, Cole was recommended to Coppell but Noades wanted a pure cash deal. 6 months later Cole left to join Bristol City.
Slight blunder there then, though it's not guaranteed he would have been right for Palace, but he wasn't exactly shit was he
Old 28-12-2017, 12:13 PM

swissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
yes sure a fee had been agreed, but Thomas couldn't agree terms? Remember the Advertiser (which was good back then) ran with the headline "at 8k a week who wouldn't go" then 2 weeks later we kicked off the season at home to Blackburn.

The fee was agreed with Man City who thought they had agreed a deal with Geoff, he then backed out last minute when Wolves offered more money. Dalglish wanted Thomas but Blackburns chairman vetoed the deal as he didnt think Thomas was worth the money
Old 28-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_cpfc View Post
We sold Wright in Sept 91 and got Armstrong exactly a year later who actually played a couple of games with Bright until we sold him to SheffWeds
Would have been interesting to see Bright and Armstrong together no doubt we would have stayed up that season
i have a vague recollection that Bright and Armstrong didn't get on, i don't recall if it was personal or just when they were on the field.
Old 28-12-2017, 03:08 PM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
I also remember being strongly linked with Teddy Sheringham a year or two later. Turning on the radio, cheering a Sheringham goal and then realising that hadnít actually signed for us but for Forest for whom he had just scored against us.
Old 28-12-2017, 03:09 PM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
The fact that we could have had Bright, Armstrong and Collymore even after losing Ian Wright is one of the depressing things of that era.
Old 28-12-2017, 06:52 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
[QUOTE=swissroll;14015177]The fee was agreed with Man City who thought they had agreed a deal with Geoff, he then backed out last minute when Wolves offered more money.y/QUOTE]

And Thomas was a boyhood city fan and used to stand on the kippax with his late father
Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 PM

BuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by New LP View Post
The fact that we could have had Bright, Armstrong and Collymore even after losing Ian Wright is one of the depressing things of that era.
I was just gonna say this..

Would love to know what would have happened in alternative universe if we had been more forward thinking and sensible with recruitment back in the early 90s. History has shown how many good players we possessed in that era because of what they went on to achieve later in their careers post Palace etc.

Paul Williams was a decent player too and would have been a perfect sub or back up forward if we had a first team front two of Armstrong-Cole or Collymore.

Noades really let the squad stagnate and get weaker and weaker. I think we only signed Darren Patterson a reserve full back in the summer of '92 when we should have been regenerating the nucleas of the team which came 3rd a year earlier.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 PM

BuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by New LP View Post
I also remember being strongly linked with Teddy Sheringham a year or two later. Turning on the radio, cheering a Sheringham goal and then realising that hadnít actually signed for us but for Forest for whom he had just scored against us.
Yes we were defo keen on him before he left Millwall for Forest. Think they offered bigger wages but not sure he would have joined us because of the rivalry. He left them for Spurs after just one season.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuktaBoy View Post

Would love to know what would have happened in alternative universe if we had been more forward thinking and sensible with recruitment back in the early 90s. History has shown how many good players we possessed in that era because of what they went on to achieve later in their careers post Palace etc.

Paul Williams was a decent player too and would have been a perfect sub or back up forward if we had a first team front two of Armstrong-Cole or Collymore.

Noades really let the squad stagnate and get weaker and weaker. I think we only signed Darren Patterson a reserve full back in the summer of '92 when we should have been regenerating the nucleas of the team which came 3rd a year earlier.

If only it was that easy, Collymore was a nightmare to manage by all accounts, and clearly had a strained relationship with then assistant boss Alan Smith. Every time I watched the reserves at Plough Lane you could see Stanley had undoubted ability. Lets not forget he was a young lad away from home (Similar to Wilf at United) I remember reading for the first 18 months he was with us Collymore was still going back to Cannock one/twice every week and was clearly struggling to settle.

RE: Lack of transfers 1992/1993 - we spunked so much money in 1992 and had very little to show for it. Mortimer cost us 500k and was a disaster, we lost 600k on Gabiaddini going to Derby 5 months after we'd signed him.
1m+ for a club of our size averaging 15k attendances wasnít feasible (donít forget the tv deals didnít exist back then)

I think Noades was prepared to let Sir Steve reinvest the money from the proposed sale of Thomas to Blackburn but that then fell through.
When we purchased Williams he struggled for fitness and then struggled to get any sort of form in the direct system we played. He was much better with ball to feet and never really got a chance to show his ability. Took him almost a year to score his first goal away to Birmingham
Old 05-08-2018, 09:34 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Geoff thomas was going to move to Blackburn just after shearer signed but he had such a stinker of a game (very unusual for him) v them on the opening day in front of a mightily unimpressed jack walker, their rich owner, that he changed his mind.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Geoff thomas was going to move to Blackburn just after shearer signed but he had such a stinker of a game (very unusual for him) v them on the opening day in front of a mightily unimpressed jack walker, their rich owner, that he changed his mind.
2.8m (rising to 3m) with Thomas being paid 8k a week. Think Arsenal had been looking at him as well. 12 months later he joined Wolves for £800k.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
If only it was that easy, Collymore was a nightmare to manage by all accounts, and clearly had a strained relationship with then assistant boss Alan Smith. Every time I watched the reserves at Plough Lane you could see Stanley had undoubted ability. Lets not forget he was a young lad away from home (Similar to Wilf at United) I remember reading for the first 18 months he was with us Collymore was still going back to Cannock one/twice every week and was clearly struggling to settle.

RE: Lack of transfers 1992/1993 - we spunked so much money in 1992 and had very little to show for it. Mortimer cost us 500k and was a disaster, we lost 600k on Gabiaddini going to Derby 5 months after we'd signed him.
1m+ for a club of our size averaging 15k attendances wasnít feasible (donít forget the tv deals didnít exist back then)

I think Noades was prepared to let Sir Steve reinvest the money from the proposed sale of Thomas to Blackburn but that then fell through.
When we purchased Williams he struggled for fitness and then struggled to get any sort of form in the direct system we played. He was much better with ball to feet and never really got a chance to show his ability. Took him almost a year to score his first goal away to Birmingham
All good points...another one who got away and was close and who would have suited us perfectly alongside Armstrong - Dion Dublin @ Cambridge who fitted our profile of lower league strikers with potential and was available for under a million. What is remarkable now looking back is just how many young English prospects there were back then. Where are these guys now? There still must be more Vardyís kicking about down the ladder..
Old 05-08-2018, 11:09 PM

If Collymore was a young player today he would have a much better chance of a more fulfilled career. Young players are so pampered if he showed the merest hint of his undoubted talent we would never have let him go in another era. I think we offered Millwall Stan and Jamie Moralee part ex for Chrissy A. Mick Mc took Moralee ��

Last edited by BuktaBoy; 05-08-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:56 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Our missing out on a place in European competition was also a big factor in us losing Wright and our failure to attract better players to strengthen the team.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign
Old 06-08-2018, 06:44 AM

Adored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
We also signed Stuart Massey that summer.

No wonder we went down.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 AM

Adored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAdored : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Our missing out on a place in European competition was also a big factor in us losing Wright and our failure to attract better players to strengthen the team.
If we are also being honest, Coppell ran out of ideas and couldnít seem to move the team on.

I love Steve as much as the next man but tactically we were all plan A and no evolution.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adored View Post
If we are also being honest, Coppell ran out of ideas and couldnít seem to move the team on.

I love Steve as much as the next man but tactically we were all plan A and no evolution.
As I recall he did try changing the style early doors (12 or so games?) of the relegation season, but the results did not match the performances and he reverted back.

Persisting with Coleman upfront in the latter part also did not help.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 06-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adored View Post
We also signed Stuart Massey that summer.

No wonder we went down.
Always thought it was a strange signing despite the modest fee. Never had the physique to be a top player and lacked any pace to dictate a game. He was the stand out player at Sutton and recommended to Steve by Billy Smith who was then Carshalton manager. Maidstone called it in the earlier post.