Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 17-01-2013, 09:09 AM

andy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses growandy123 knows where the wild roses grow
Westfield and Hammerson announce joint Croydon venture

Good news for Croydon then. . . . - To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 17-01-2013, 09:12 AM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
That'll be worth it.
Old 17-01-2013, 06:47 PM

NorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is hereNorthPalace23 Sam the man is here
Just seen this on BBC news.

Good news.
Old 17-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Alright? Not half!

Phil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is here
Much needed in my opinion. Good news.
Old 17-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
I hope that the plans are compatible with maintaining if not boosting Surrey Street and still have some local, old fashioned High Street shops. I'd worry if Croydon turrned (even more?) into a faceless shopping mall like anywhere place, especially as the future of big shops is a bit uncertain - they're all coalescing around bigger centres across the country as physical outlets for big chains fall to a fraction of what there were 30 years ago. Hate to see more empty spaces in 5 or so years time.

Last edited by mik59; 17-01-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 17-01-2013, 08:28 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My heart sinks when I read words like 'Westfield' and 'regeneration'.
Old 18-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Addobellend, apparently

addopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaddopalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'm worried about this. If the Whitgift centre and the other thing on the other side (debenhams, house of fraser and all that) are merged into one huge centre, what becomes of North End? It has some really interesting sky line; I'd hate for any of it to be lost.

George Eliot
Old 18-01-2013, 12:06 AM

Kidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is here
nothing shopping related is good for the barren wasteland that Croydon has become.
Old 18-01-2013, 03:08 AM

Neillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
My heart sinks when I read words like 'Westfield' and 'regeneration'.
I'm not sure Croydon can get any worse though. Hopefully a Westfield Centre will be the catalyst for Croydon rather than create another faceless town.
Old 18-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Step up and play

pork chop pork chop pork chop pork chop pork chop pork chop pork chop pork chop pork chop pork chop pork chop
Excellent news
My god you're a f*cking c*nt. Why don't you do the world a favour and drop dead? I assure you no one would miss you or mourn your passing -Arron 09-01-2013 05:47 PM
Old 19-01-2013, 12:00 AM

Halfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The original plans seemed, from my brief view at their roadshow, to have Westfield only developing the Whitgift over 3 phases so that 2/3rds of the centre would be open at all times. Hammerson were only going to add a cinema to Centrale and do what looked like a makeover of the Whitgift.

Perhaps together we can get one large intergrated shopping centre.
Old 19-01-2013, 12:13 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Difficult thing about Croydon is the cost of the parking - Bluewater all under one roof, John Lewis and free. Westfields elsewhere tend to have free parking linked to a 'spend' - if they do that people will come
Old 19-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
The devil's in the detail, of course. Personally I have no confidence that this will be good for Croydon.

A major reason why the town has such social and economic problems is that its urban environment is hideously ugly and inhuman. Since the 1950s developers have been allowed to rape the town according to their narrow interests, with no regard to the wider context of Croydon and its inhabitants, and this has led to the succession of huge, low-quality, and rapidly-outdated developments which blight the town today. And this is important, because it makes it unattractive as a place to live, work or shop, and so is both a large part in its decline and an impediment to a solution.

If you develop a huge swathe of a town at once, it all becomes outdated at once, and you are locked into a perpetual cycle of redevelopment every twenty years or so (the Whitgift Centre was only completed in 1970 and already we need a third version!) with years of decline, delay and disruption at the end of each particular cycle.

If this new consortium's ('West-Hamm'?) redevelopment occurs it will be hugely disruptive, ugly, and a further blight on Croydon for many years to come. Modern architects and commercial developers are incapable of anything else.
Old 19-01-2013, 09:33 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE
The devil's in the detail, of course. Personally I have no confidence that this will be good for Croydon.

A major reason why the town has such social and economic problems is that its urban environment is hideously ugly and inhuman. Since the 1950s developers have been allowed to rape the town according to their narrow interests, with no regard to the wider context of Croydon and its inhabitants, and this has led to the succession of huge, low-quality, and rapidly-outdated developments which blight the town today. And this is important, because it makes it unattractive as a place to live, work or shop, and so is both a large part in its decline and an impediment to a solution.

If you develop a huge swathe of a town at once, it all becomes outdated at once, and you are locked into a perpetual cycle of redevelopment every twenty years or so (the Whitgift Centre was only completed in 1970 and already we need a third version!) with years of decline, delay and disruption at the end of each particular cycle.

If this new consortium's ('West-Hamm'?) redevelopment occurs it will be hugely disruptive, ugly, and a further blight on Croydon for many years to come. Modern architects and commercial developers are incapable of anything else.
I think you've summed up what I was thinking.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 AM

exeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE

The joint venture was recently renamed 'The Croydon Partnership' - looks like the wheels are in motion for a new start for Croydon.

Arguments against:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

And for:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
"reluctant buyers"

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
It will be a success if they give the people what they want: namely Ralph and Barbour outlet centres.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Wash n' gone

Thin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThin on Top : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Everyone move up north, it's a lot nicer.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Who cares, it's a shithole whatever you build there!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM

exeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weedexeterunieagle is AJ vs the 'weed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
Only because that's the image portrayed of Croydon! There's plenty of good stuff which goes on which isn't reported. Not saying it doesn't have huge problems to overcome but the fact that it can attract investment from major companies like Westfield can only be a good sign, in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM
"reluctant buyers"

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
Its no worse than any other town centre in the UK.

Also home to the safest night out in the UK of course.