Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 13-12-2017, 09:57 AM

Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Repo Man has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Westfield were bought by a French property group yesterday, so it remains to be seen if they'll still be keen on this, especially given the time and money wasted on it so far.
Old 14-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
That's a bit of an R80 post* unless you provide substantiation for your view.

* meaningless drivel
Maz, that's a low blow!

We're all entitled to our opinion. Mine is based on Croydon's history of grandiose, over-ambitious plans failing to come to fruition, combined with pessimism about the economic wealth of the area (and thus the viability of any large-scale shopping development), the much-vaunted 'good transport links' in reality being worse than touted, and the low reputation of the town in general working against it being a popular leisure-shopping destination.
Old 14-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Kevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevlon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
How is Croydon, and it's populace in the central area, different to that in Strafford, Shepherds Bush or further afield, in other cities that have managed to greater or lesser extent to keep their centres attractive? Does Croydon have uniquely scummy people?
We do have a lot of snobs on here! Perhaps a ban on certain types of people entering the town centre is needed? For example no new Addington residents or ethnics allowed. Or perhaps a ban on all working classes?

White middle class only.

(That's me banned from the town centre then!)
Old 14-12-2017, 11:50 PM

macstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlon View Post
We do have a lot of snobs on here! Perhaps a ban on certain types of people entering the town centre is needed? For example no new Addington residents or ethnics allowed. Or perhaps a ban on all working classes?

White middle class only.

(That's me banned from the town centre then!)
croydon needs to attract people from Bromley, Sutton, Redhill and the surroundings again (the white middle class!)..... its currently doesn't do that, its a grim place to come to, even on a night out. Boxpark is clearly attracting these but they just go to boxpark and then leave croydon.....

Question is will a big poncy shopping centre do it???
Old 15-12-2017, 12:22 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Maz, that's a low blow!

We're all entitled to our opinion. Mine is based on Croydon's history of grandiose, over-ambitious plans failing to come to fruition, combined with pessimism about the economic wealth of the area (and thus the viability of any large-scale shopping development), the much-vaunted 'good transport links' in reality being worse than touted, and the low reputation of the town in general working against it being a popular leisure-shopping destination.
Depends what you mean by ‘the area’?

I think some people just think of central Croydon when they have an image of the town.

The suburbs, especially south of the borough, have plenty of money. There are loads of detached houses with smart cars on the drive around me. There are many other indicators, eg I also know the best independent secondary schools are over-subscribed with a bulge of competition this year.

Westfield would have done its homework and know that the Surrey suburbs are not declining, and that Croydon Council is also going to encouraging hundreds of flats to be built in town.
Old 15-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDANGERMOUSE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Depends what you mean by ‘the area’?

I think some people just think of central Croydon when they have an image of the town.

The suburbs, especially south of the borough, have plenty of money. There are loads of detached houses with smart cars on the drive around me. There are many other indicators, eg I also know the best independent secondary schools are over-subscribed with a bulge of competition this year.

Westfield would have done its homework and know that the Surrey suburbs are not declining, and that Croydon Council is also going to encouraging hundreds of flats to be built in town.
Oh yes, I know all about the suburbs (I live in one of them). But currently none of the ostensibly wealthier areas of the borough exhibit much in the way of services catering for such people. So either they're not as wealthy as we might think, or the high-end spend their time and money elsewhere. Westfield of course want to change that, but I don't think that kind of person will go to a big urban shopping centre very frequently.
Old 17-12-2017, 01:21 AM

racehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is here
I can't speak for Croydon but if it's anything like Sutton the Money just isn't there to support the extra shops , I am a rare shopper ( Xmas and Clothes a couple of times a year ) and the marked difference this week between daytime shopping footfall and spend at Guildford and Kingston compared to Sutton appears massive .
I can't see how Croydon will attract the high spenders away from the already established and wealthy shopping areas , Neither Guildford or Kingston have Westfield centres and never will but then again I doubt they need or want them .
Guildford and Kingston must both rank among the highest money taking shopping towns in the UK .
Croydon should be looking to offer something unique not another same old , same old boring and increasingly internet challenged Westfield centre.

Last edited by racehorse-80s; 17-12-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 17-12-2017, 01:42 AM

racehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
That's a bit of an R80 post* unless you provide substantiation for your view.

* meaningless drivel
You and your pathetically sad posts really have no class , Something even your rumoured wealth cannot buy you .
I can see why a Mundane Westfield shopping factory is such an attraction to you and right up your street shopping wise .
Old 17-12-2017, 02:41 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Not sure if it is relevant, but Westfield bought out our local Mall here in sunny Valencia California about 5 years ago.

They built about 10 restaurants in the parking area, so reducing already limited parking.

The restaurants came and went so now there are empty buildings along with brand name stores closing hand over fist. The place has so many vacant stores.

It would be easy to blame a recession, but I really don't feel we are in one at this time, and these places should be thriving. Personally I believe it is Westfield's greed with the rent they demand. I'm not sure what their business model must be?
Old 17-12-2017, 03:32 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Not sure if it is relevant, but Westfield bought out our local Mall here in sunny Valencia California about 5 years ago.

They built about 10 restaurants in the parking area, so reducing already limited parking.

The restaurants came and went so now there are empty buildings along with brand name stores closing hand over fist. The place has so many vacant stores.

It would be easy to blame a recession, but I really don't feel we are in one at this time, and these places should be thriving. Personally I believe it is Westfield's greed with the rent they demand. I'm not sure what their business model must be?
I believe the US retail market for out of town shopping stores is tougher than in the UK (more car-dependent and more vulnerable to competition?) so that story doesn't surprise me - a different Mall developer might have had the same fate - presumably there are other more attractive shopping options nearby.
Old 17-12-2017, 03:36 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
We're all entitled to our opinion. Mine is based on Croydon's history of grandiose, over-ambitious plans failing to come to fruition, combined with pessimism about the economic wealth of the area (and thus the viability of any large-scale shopping development), the much-vaunted 'good transport links' in reality being worse than touted
They are arguably better than touted. I think a lot of people aren't aware of the benefits of the modern tram network.
Old 17-12-2017, 06:09 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I believe the US retail market for out of town shopping stores is tougher than in the UK (more car-dependent and more vulnerable to competition?) so that story doesn't surprise me - a different Mall developer might have had the same fate - presumably there are other more attractive shopping options nearby.
yes and no...

If the store actually have a product people want they get a name for themselves in the Mall, then move off site for a cheaper rent.

The problem I'm seeing is these stores are not being re-populated and every other one is boarded up.

This and the propensity of the public to shop online is killing the Mall stores.

Another key maybe the upsurge in the outlet malls, as you allude to - out of town but worth the drive if you are going to spent a couple of hundred bucks refreshing the contents of your wardrobe. I am certainly guilty of this.
Old 17-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned by Moderators

Biggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The only reason i would go to Croydon would be to to go to East Croydon Station to get a train out of Croydon. I certainly wouldnt contemplate shopping there.
"WE LEAVE THE EU MARCH 2019"

Old 17-12-2017, 09:54 AM
"reluctant buyers"

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggineagle View Post
The only reason i would go to Croydon would be to to go to East Croydon Station to get a train out of Croydon. I certainly wouldnt contemplate shopping there.
Croydon’s loss I’m sure...
Old 17-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Yes, I can see it wouldn’t be quite your cup of tea.
Old 17-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Banned by Moderators

Biggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse View Post
Croydon’s loss I’m sure...
Does it need anymore losses?
"WE LEAVE THE EU MARCH 2019"

Old 08-01-2018, 05:12 PM

swissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Planning approved by the Mayor of London today - BBC reporting work expected to start later this year - but the planning went in before the Westfield take-over. Lets see what happens
Old 08-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Good.

I believe To view the link you have to Register or Login was the major reason for the Mayor's approval.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 08-01-2018, 05:23 PM

silverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Generally I find you a boring know all. However that was very good.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
To view the link you have to Register or Login

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ