Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik59 View Post
Or it's been re-affirmed if you believe in a representative democracy, which I do while you dismiss any distinction. You could rightly criticise the way parliaments & governments have acted in some respects but the fact remains that it has been our chosen system for 5 centuries. And one key advantage of it is that it has checks & balances against the rule of a minority by a majority with the consequences we see amongst countries inhabited by johnny foreigner. We elect and mandate our representatives to decide on what's best for the whole country, especially, under our social traditions, the poor and vulnerable. You can pour scorn on it all you like, & threaten to attack our democracy by burning Westminster, but we are not, & nor should ever be, ruled by a direct democracy.

While there is a certain irony in claiming Brexiters are rejecting foreign political interference by abandoning British political tradition to some extent I disagree. If you don’t have a written constitution then a convention can be established quite quickly and it seems to be an accepted convention now that constitutional matters will have referendums and Parliament implements. This leads to the situation that those claiming to be taking back sovereignty for Parliament have actually just created the greatest loss of Parliamentary sovereignty in modern British history. You have a government and legislature that has to implement a policy which the majority of parliamentarians and ministers not only disagrees with but thinks is profoundly damaging to the country.

I do agree direct democracy isn't necessarily more democratic and is often the opposite.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 AM

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMan View Post
Whereas the enlightened "Leave Camp" will take a more balanced view, of course.

Goes without saying 😄
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
I've been appalled by the reaction of many of the Leavers on here. I genuinely thought the principles of democracy, where you can keep campaigning for change and participating in debate, was concreted into our collective psyche.

It's shocking to see Leavers trying to shut down democracy out of fear it might bring a democratic change they don't like.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
Nationalism was at the heart of the Leave argument. Naturally, I would take umbrage at your description of it as being ignorant.

But what was at the heart of the Remain side? What was the political stance behind that?

Now I can see why a strong case could have been made for a Europe that is plainly moving towards ever closer political and financial union. But I never saw it made, especially on this BBS. All I ever saw was a general agreement that the EU was rubbish but that it was better for our wallets to put up with that general rubbishness along with some vague notions about how Britain could reform it. Ignoring the elephant in the room of the single currency and how the future of the EU has to be shaped by that.
The remain campaign was poor - as you say "not enough conviction" as to the merits of the EU and the vision of a federal Europe. I wouldn't have voted for it but would have respected their campaign more as it would have made sense and been positive.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Banned by Moderators

Biggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
I've been appalled by the reaction of many of the Leavers on here. I genuinely thought the principles of democracy, where you can keep campaigning for change and participating in debate, was concreted into our collective psyche.

It's shocking to see Leavers trying to shut down democracy out of fear it might bring a democratic change they don't like.
lol Yeah
"WE LEAVE THE EU MARCH 2019"

Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Can you can honestly tell me that if the vote had gone the other way that you would be making the argument that it was only advisory and that Parliament had no duty to act upon that?
Just as there are important differences between the 2 types of democracy, with different cause and effect, so there are between the 2 outcomes. A Remain vote would have confirmed long-standing, cross-party policy. Although, I'd argue, as I have done, that Parliament would have had to consider the rationale behind the Referendum and the grievances of the Leave vote, and pressed Government to commit to introduce policy changes.

That is all beside the point that the EU referendum was not binary. Leaving the EU covers a host of issues on which neither Government nor Parliament have any guidance. You keep arguing the opposite but there was nothing on the ballot paper on how to Leave, on a model for a non-EU UK, and the Leave campaign was a mandate built on lies.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
The comment below from the FT made me chuckle. The article itself explores the lack of clarity between Davis, Fox and Johnson's roles. To view the link you have to Register or Login

19 hours ago
So, this is how the debate reads so far. I kid you not, it's practically verbatim:

Remainers (left holding the Brexit baby after the Leavers... left) "WTF?"

Leavers "We voted Brexit, now You Remainers need to implement it"

Remainers "But it's not possible!"

Leavers "The People Have Spoken. Therefore it is possible. You just have to think positively."

Remainers "And do what exactly?"

Leavers "Come up with a Plan that will leave us all better off outside the EU than in it"

Leavers "Quit with the negative vibes. The People Have Spoken."

Remainers "But even you don't know how!"

Leavers "That's your problem, we've done our bit and voted, we're going to sit here and eat popcorn and watch as you do it."

Remainers "Shouldn't you do it?"

Leavers "It's not up to us to work out the detail, it's up to you experts."

Remainers "I thought you'd had enough of experts"

Leavers "Remain experts."

Remainers "There are no Leave experts"

Leavers "Then you'll have to do it then. Oh, and by the way, no dragging your feet or complaining about it, because if you do a deal we don't want, we'll eat you alive."

Remainers "But you don't know what you want!"

Leavers "We want massive economic growth, no migration, free trade with the EU and every other country, on our terms, the revival of British industry, re-open the coal mines, tea and vicars on every village green, some bunting, and maybe restoration of the empire."

Remainers "You're delusional."

Leavers "We're a delusional majority. DEMOCRACY! So do the thing that isn't possible, very quickly, and give all Leavers what they want, even though they don't know what they want, and ignore the 16 million other voters who disagree. They're tight trouser latte-sipping hipsters who whine all the time, who cares."
Thanks for that. Started my day with a smile.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
The comment below from the FT made me chuckle. The article itself explores the lack of clarity between Davis, Fox and Johnson's roles. To view the link you have to Register or Login

19 hours ago
So, this is how the debate reads so far. I kid you not, it's practically verbatim:

Remainers (left holding the Brexit baby after the Leavers... left) "WTF?"

Leavers "We voted Brexit, now You Remainers need to implement it"

Leavers "The People Have Spoken. Therefore it is possible. You just have to think positively."

Remainers "And do what exactly?"

Leavers "Come up with a Plan that will leave us all better off outside the EU than in it"

Leavers "Quit with the negative vibes. The People Have Spoken."

Remainers "But even you don't know how!"

Leavers "That's your problem, we've done our bit and voted, we're going to sit here and eat popcorn and watch as you do it."

Remainers "Shouldn't you do it?"

Leavers "It's not up to us to work out the detail, it's up to you experts."

Remainers "I thought you'd had enough of experts"

Leavers "Remain experts."

Remainers "There are no Leave experts"

Leavers "Then you'll have to do it then. Oh, and by the way, no dragging your feet or complaining about it, because if you do a deal we don't want, we'll eat you alive."

Remainers "But you don't know what you want!"

Leavers "We want massive economic growth, no migration, free trade with the EU and every other country, on our terms, the revival of British industry, re-open the coal mines, tea and vicars on every village green, some bunting, and maybe restoration of the empire."

Remainers "You're delusional."

Leavers "We're a delusional majority. DEMOCRACY! So do the thing that isn't possible, very quickly, and give all Leavers what they want, even though they don't know what they want, and ignore the 16 million other voters who disagree. They're tight trouser latte-sipping hipsters who whine all the time, who cares."
Excellent. Mat and his Muppets to a T.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Can you can honestly tell me that if the vote had gone the other way that you would be making the argument that it was only advisory and that Parliament had no duty to act upon that?
I can honestly say that I'd be calling for the changes that are needed to please the Leavers a hell of a lot more than I am inclined to do now.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Got my eagle eye on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
If such predictions are likely do people think the Government has a responsibility to step back from Brexit?

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Yes.

I think the government has a responsibility to do what is best for the country.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 AM

cdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is here
UK ‘has 50% chance of slipping into recession within 18 months'
NIESR calls for interest rate cut and QE as it warns of 320,000 job losses in latest grim assessment of shrinking economy

The Bank of England needs to use a sledgehammer to combat a severe economic downturn caused by the vote to leave the EU, one of Britain’s most respected thinktanks has warned.

In a grim assessment of the UK economy after the vote for Brexit, the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) said 320,000 jobs would be lost by the third quarter of next year and warned that the economy had a 50% chance of slipping into recession in the next 18 months.

Inflation would increase to more than 3% for the first time in five years in late 2017 as the weak pound pushes up the price of imports and the government would be forced to borrow an extra £47bn in the next four years, NIESR said on Wednesday.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Still disappointed that big business, the London property classes and the City aren't proposing solutions how the EU could be made to work for the C2DEs, council tenants and people in the Welsh Valleys and coastal towns. So far some of the solutions that could work seem to be coming from Owen Smith and Jeremy Corbyn. If people not benefiting from the free trade and free movement that the EU helps are to be convinced it will require some redistribution or at the least switching the proceeds of growth to the poor. Not sure that the City and London property owning classes have that in mind.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 AM

swissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've just had the dubious pleasure of reading today a (very) big banks very detailed report just completed on the actual implications of Brexit to them across all their business lines, the remedies and by implication precisely what it means for other UK financial institutions. When this hits the Government in tray in next day or two there really will be an oh 5hit moment
Old 03-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Still disappointed that big business, the London property classes and the City aren't proposing solutions how the EU could be made to work for the C2DEs, council tenants and people in the Welsh Valleys and coastal towns.
This illustrates the limits of the EU's powers. Primary responsibility for social justice and well being of EU member populations still rests with their own governments. Even the EU grants that the Welsh Valleys and many Coastal Towns have secured are dependant on local and Central Government supporting the application.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:39 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
This illustrates the limits of the EU's powers. Primary responsibility for social justice and well being of EU member populations still rests with their own governments. Even the EU grants that the Welsh Valleys and many Coastal Towns have secured are dependant on local and Central Government supporting the application.
Indeed. This is why as a remain voter I find the response of the remain establishment so disappointing. Simply calling people thick and racist, telling them that London house prices will fall, that the City will be hit and that big business is concerned won't cut much ice with those who voted to leave. It is within the powers of our government and big business to propose a win-win situation whereby we stay in the EU but carry out domestic changes. There are changes that the EU could make (around the Working Time Directive for example) but that is not the biggest thing. So far only the Labour leadership contenders have any sensible suggestions. I suspect in three years we won't have left the EU and things will carry on more or less as normal without addressing the underlying inequalities of low income regions and unemployment among some demographic groups.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
Indeed, EU constitutionally operates under the principle of subsidiarity - decisions should be taken as closely as possible to the citizens. This has never sat well with the UK which is heavily centralised at Westminster.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Got my eagle eye on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Indeed. This is why as a remain voter I find the response of the remain establishment so disappointing. Simply calling people thick and racist, telling them that London house prices will fall, that the City will be hit and that big business is concerned won't cut much ice with those who voted to leave. It is within the powers of our government and big business to propose a win-win situation whereby we stay in the EU but carry out domestic changes. There are changes that the EU could make (around the Working Time Directive for example) but that is not the biggest thing. So far only the Labour leadership contenders have any sensible suggestions. I suspect in three years we won't have left the EU and things will carry on more or less as normal without addressing the underlying inequalities of low income regions and unemployment among some demographic groups.
Agree with this. The government has failed to address the concerns of a vast swathe of the population for years now.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
Indeed, EU constitutionally operates under the principle of subsidiarity - decisions should be taken as closely as possible to the citizens. This has never sat well with the UK which is heavily centralised at Westminster.
Bingo!

SaulAlinsky
Old 03-08-2016, 11:13 AM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm61 View Post
UK ‘has 50% chance of slipping into recession within 18 months'

So now its a 50% chance? LOL. I thought it was a nailed on certainty?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileysmith View Post
Agree with this. The government has failed to address the concerns of a vast swathe of the population for years now.
Yep, you can quite easily make the case that free movement, free trade and EU membership in general has been good for the UK but it has had drawbacks and these have been building since around 2003-4. Neither Labour, the Coalition or the Tories have tackled them satisfactorily. Increased pressure on the labour market weighing too heavily on some sectors, rising unemployment among young people from some minority groups even before the recession, the fall in home ownership and an over-dependence on revenue from the City and high end housing. The failure to force large employers to take on apprenticeships instead of automatically looking elsewhere for workers is another big issue that will have long term negative consequences.