Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

View Poll Results: Is the transfer window a bonkers concept
Yes. If I want a pint of milk why can't buy one? 17 53.13%
No. What would Jim White do for a living? 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-01-2018, 09:56 AM
face and voice for radio

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
The Transfer Window. Is it a bonkers concept.

I'm old enough to remember the days before the transfer window. In those days, if you wanted a player, you just went out and bought one (Ollie's pint of milk analogy). This could happen at any time and was not limited to a three month period in the summer and one month in the winter.

The argument for the transfer window is that it allows a settled squad during the season, with an option for a tweak half way through. Generally players will not have their heads turned in the same way that they could if there was no window. Additionally it prevents distorted activity outside the window as the richer clubs can flex their muscles at will and it is the same rule for everyone.

Plus the powers that be get their entertainment and we get to be happy/disappointed/frustrated.

The argument against is that it does not legislate for issues within between the windows, particularly injuries, meaning squads can be left bare. This can mean bigger squads to cover this eventuality and the loan market as a consequence. In addition concentrating activity in time brackets can have an inflationary effect on prices and can make deals stupidly complicated (as a has to happen before b and c within the time frame) so panic can set in. Comments such as performance in the transfer window could decide who gets relegated, moves us away from it being a pure football competition to who's the best at deals.

So. Is the transfer window fit for purpose or is it bonkers

Last edited by JDawg; 31-01-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 31-01-2018, 10:04 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
It was created for a purpose and it has done that however they need to be scaled back. Summer one stopped before the season starts and only 2 weeks of circus in January, even 1 week.

If we didn't have the window then players would be destabilised throughout the season and the big clubs would just go out and buy a player whenever they get a long term injury - such as Man City after Mahrez this week only because Sane got injured.
Old 31-01-2018, 10:06 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
I agree with gonzo and feel horrible about it.
Old 31-01-2018, 10:14 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
It's shite and needs scrapping. Gives too much power to the agents and players. Just results in ever higher transfer fees and wage demands. Get rid of 25 man squads too. And relax the number of domestic loans. Players need to be playing, not warming benches.

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
I'm old enough to remember the days before the transfer window. In those days, if you wanted a player, you just went out and bought one (Ollie's pint of milk analogy). This could happen at any time and was not limited to a three month period in the summer and one month in the winter.

The argument for the transfer window is that it allows a settled squad during the season, with an option for a tweak half way through. Generally players will not have their heads turned in the same way that they could if there was no window. Additionally it prevents distorted activity outside the window as the richer clubs can flex their muscles at will and it is the same rule for everyone.

Plus the powers that be get their entertainment and we get to be happy/disappointed/frustrated.

The argument against is that it does not legislate for issues within between the windows, particularly injuries, meaning squads can be left bare. This can mean bigger squads to cover this eventuality and the loan market as a consequence. In addition concentrating activity in time brackets can have an inflationary effect on prices and can make deals stupidly complicated (as a has to happen before b and c within the time frame) so panic can set in. Comments such as performance in the transfer window could decide who gets relegated, moves us away from it being a pure football competition to who's the best at deals.

So. Is the transfer window fit for purpose or is it bonkers
Me too but I think it closed before the end of the season still didn't it. MArch maybe? Really can't remember now but I do think you could only transfer up to a month or so before the end of the season.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:41 AM

Kai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is hereKai Sam the man is here
Deadline day is fun but the deadline itself ruins things for young players and smaller clubs. Now clubs have to plan for five months at a time with no means to make changes. Small clubs with little squads can't add if they're hit with injuries and young players at bigger clubs won't be given a chance as there's no holes for them to plug. In years gone by you'd play a youngster in a game or two whilst waiting out or sorting out your problems - now that never happens as the Squads are set in advance
Old 31-01-2018, 11:53 AM

foresthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is hereforesthillbilly Sam the man is here
Rather interestingly (for me , anyway), they had an American Footballer being interviewed about the superbowl this morning (coming this Sunday ?).
The radio presenter asked why there were so many different winners, and the NFL player said it was because the 'college draft' of new players, meant everyone had a fair crack. Actually, I think it's the teams that finish lowest, get first dibs on new players for the next season. No such things as transfers.
I yearn a bit for a few years back, when we were putting out players from the Palace academy, like Clyne, Bostock, et al.
And Financial Fair Play does fck all, because teams like Chelsea, Citeh, (top six) are willing to take the hit on fines.

I love Palace, but I hate what the Premiership has done to the league. I went to my first game in the 1970's, to give some perspective
Old 31-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
It's totally constructed to drive the media frenzy over player moves. It doesn't work in terms of stopping players from having their heads turned, and it's massively contributed to transfer fee inflation IMO.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:15 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
It was created for a purpose and it has done that however they need to be scaled back. Summer one stopped before the season starts and only 2 weeks of circus in January, even 1 week.

If we didn't have the window then players would be destabilised throughout the season and the big clubs would just go out and buy a player whenever they get a long term injury - such as Man City after Mahrez this week only because Sane got injured.
This. Transfer windows are shitty but they’re a necessary evil, until a better idea is thought up.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 31-01-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:16 PM

ForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietForzaPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I hate it but even if it was re-done in another way, we'd still find a way to **** it up every year
Old 31-01-2018, 12:26 PM

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresthillbilly View Post
Rather interestingly (for me , anyway), they had an American Footballer being interviewed about the superbowl this morning (coming this Sunday ?).
The radio presenter asked why there were so many different winners, and the NFL player said it was because the 'college draft' of new players, meant everyone had a fair crack. Actually, I think it's the teams that finish lowest, get first dibs on new players for the next season. No such things as transfers.
I yearn a bit for a few years back, when we were putting out players from the Palace academy, like Clyne, Bostock, et al.
And Financial Fair Play does fck all, because teams like Chelsea, Citeh, (top six) are willing to take the hit on fines.

I love Palace, but I hate what the Premiership has done to the league. I went to my first game in the 1970's, to give some perspective
The draft picks they have in American sports wouldn't work here in our current setup as all the players in the draft are not affiliated or owned by the teams signing them. We would need to have independent youth systems for this to work in the UK rather than the clubs having youth systems.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:30 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
I made it 12-12
Old 31-01-2018, 12:34 PM
::::::::::::

JAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is here
Unless you want your players tapped up and unsettled by other clubs bidding all season it’s best to have the windows
Old 31-01-2018, 12:53 PM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
It's fine if you don't let yourself get wound up into a frenzy. If something happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Basically, calm the **** down.

Free Palestine
Old 31-01-2018, 12:56 PM

Bones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is here
1 week in January.
Gets everyone off their arse and forces the issue.
It also doesn't give agents time to play 1 club against another 2 or 3.
Increase the domestic loan to 3 and have a cap on what the loan price is regarding age/senior games/international caps.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:58 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
It's fine if you don't let yourself get wound up into a frenzy. If something happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

don't tell me what to do
Old 31-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Scrap it. Get your players in by 31st August and that's what you're stuck with until May.
Old 31-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Bones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post

Should take your own advice with you onto the Hostesses thread
Old 31-01-2018, 01:02 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
Scrap it. Get your players in by 31st August and that's what you're stuck with until May.
So that would be a transfer window then - just 1 each year.
Old 31-01-2018, 01:04 PM

Dave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is here
My guess is that any links between increasing transfer fees and the transfer window are a false equivalence. Transfer fees have always been going up exponentially, the window just limits when those transfers can happen.

The window also protects clubs like Palace from their better players being preyed on by bigger clubs throughout the season. It works to our benefit - in theory.

A better solution would be a more rigorous approach to FFP with points penalties rather than fines as punishments. On top of that, a cap on players' wages and agent fees that is linked to inflation and adjusted annually. You would need those on top of the transfer window, which still serves its purpose. A cap on players' wages would be the easiest to implement: hugely unpopular with clubs, players and agents, but for the greater good of the game's long-term sustainability.

More pressing would be a crackdown on the power of agents. But there is no willpower from the FA, Premier League, FIFA, UEFA or even the clubs themselves. If you look at how Jorge Mendes has circulated players around the same network of clubs, it's easy to infer that there is industry-wide corruption which the governing bodies tacitly approve of.

SJ was lightyears ahead of everybody else when he was railing against agents a decade ago. One of the few things he got right while Palace owner.

This is worth a read - and it's written by a Palace fan:
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Closed Thread