Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

View Poll Results: January Transfer Window
Success 78 13.22%
Failure 444 75.25%
Moo! 68 11.53%
Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:45 AM

CaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaterhamEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Finch View Post
Worst window since promotion imho

Minimum should have been striker and GK

Hugely disappointing, no complaints if we get relegated
Did you forget the window where we only signed Adebayor?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Banned by Moderators

McpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterhamEagle View Post

This window can’t be thought of as any better surely
Old 01-02-2018, 08:57 AM
This is it

Chris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChris Finch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterhamEagle View Post
We signed Adebayor January 2016 off the back of a run that took us 5th around Christmas

2 completely different scenarios
Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 AM

teesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is here
Absolutely. I can’t see how anyone can think anything different. It’s very unlikey that any of the three incoming players will have any effect this season, other than maybe the striker? The squad is paper thin with no cover at all in several key areas. No attacking options from the bench (unless sako or rlc make far speedier recoveries than anticipated). Certain players will simply have to play irrespective of form or if they are carrying knocks.

We certainly don’t have the boost we had under Allardyce with two decent left backs with premier xp and the wonderful Luka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
It's a failure because we have failed to address the goalie situation - again
It's a failure because our first team is no better
It's a failure because the squad is still paper thin
It's a failure because, despite Roy's comments about the need of new players, the Board has not done its job
It's a failure because we leave everything till the end and fail - again
It's a failure because we suffer injuries to players in the window, yet do nothing to replace them.
It's a failure because we bring players in for talk and have not agreed with their club.

Total disaster - again
Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 AM

costello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is herecostello Sam the man is here
Our failure to sign a wide player is what worries me. If Townsend is unfit then who do we have? We have lost Schlupp, Kaikai and Sako in recent weeks.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:29 AM

alf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Disappointed that we didn't get Amadou 'over the line'. I think we needed to beef up our midfield. I guess we have Jairo who looks potentially good but still inexperienced at this level.

Only time will tell with the other signings. I am not sure if any of them are match fit ready so may have to wait a bit before we see them on the park. I hope Sorloth can put pressure on Benteke for the number nine birth or play successfully play alongside him.

I will also be disappointed if I learn that West Ham hijacked the Jordan Hugill deal. He looked an exiting prospect in my eyes.

Last edited by alf; 01-02-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
UBER LONG POST ALERT
I will fail I am sure but I thought I would have one serious go at this thread and then try to move on. Call it therapy and the need to leave the negativity behind or at least 'order it a little. Will focus on the outcomes rather than the perceived farce surrounding negotiations and decisions.

Was it a successful window? The best way to judge this seems to me to be to compare it with the squad we closed the summer window with but taking into account the deficiencies identified in that. Because that is the 'shortfall that we are in truth dealing with. So as Roy (Tom Cobley and all) has said we only have one striker and 2 GKs and need better cover/options than that. He has also been concerned about the depth of the squad. He put it nicely the other day that when you take the matchday squad away you typically have some players left behind that should be as good/capable as those 18.

GK
1. Julián Speroni (GK)
13. Wayne Hennessey (GK)
MISSING PLAYER

Full Backs
2. Joel Ward (RB/LB)
3. Patrick van Aanholt (LB)
15. Jeffrey Schlupp (LB/LM)
23. Pape Souare (LB)
24. Timothy Fosu-Mensah (RB/CB/CM)

Centre Backs
5. James Tomkins (CB/RB)
6. Scott Dann (CB)
12. Mamadou Sakho (CB)
27. Damien Delaney (CB)
33. Jaroslaw Jach (CB)
34. Martin Kelly (RB/CB/LB)

Central Midfielders
4. Luka Milivojević (CM)
7. Yohan Cabaye (CM)
8. Ruben Loftus-Cheek (CM)
18. James McArthur (CM)
22. Jordon Mutch (CM)
31. Erdal Rakip (CM/RM)
42. Jason Puncheon (RM/LM/CM)
44. Jaïro Riedewald (CM/CB)

Wide Midfielders/Wingers
10. Andros Townsend (RM/LM)
11. Wilfried Zaha (RM/LM)
14. Lee Chung-yong (RM/CM)
26. Bakary Sako (RM/LM)

Forwards
9. Alexander Sørloth (ST)
17. Christian Benteke (ST)
21. Connor Wickham (ST)

So I make that 22 players (if you assume Ruben will get fit enough to play in at least one game?) that are likely to be fit enough to take part in the remaining games of the season (I have ruled Mutch out because he doesn't seem to be taking part anymore). Quite a few of them won't need to be named in the '25' and so I suspect this will be our lowest ever named list but I can't be a**** to work that out right now.

So let's give that a couple of tests.

Strength of cover for each position (numbers)
GK - still short on quality and worringly/unbelievably in number
FBs - sufficient would probably be my best answer
CBs - assuming no further major injuries we should just about be OK unless we get unlucky with suspensions/normal knocks coinciding.

Midfield - here I am starting to freak out a little as I suspect Roy will be doing this morning which is why the Amadou failure is so significant. At first glance we have 8 but 2 are out of the picture completely and Ruben has little chance of recovering from injury and getting match fit for more than a match or two I suspect unless he avoids the 'knife'. So that leaves us with 3 trusted names, 2 of which are constantly nursing injuries. These 3 are backed up by 2 youngsters, Jairo (who I rate highly, but it's clear Roy is using sparingly due to experience etc.) and a complete wildcard with no Premier exposure at all and not expected to start. This is a train wreck waiting to happen with the risk of suspensions, injury and likely to be our biggest risk.

Wide players - we have the 3 albeit one was on his way until Tuesday night. It will be bizarre if Lee becomes a key player for us because he is the only wide player suited to playing in the middle if we get more injuries. I worry if that becomes the case as where his head must be right now I don't know.
Striker - instead of the 3 minimum that we needed we have the 2 and are reliant upon the other undermanned areas to supplement that. If Alex isn't ready to play a part we have some real challenges.

The other test is Roy's 18.

Julián Speroni (GK), Wayne Hennessey (GK)

Joel Ward (RB/LB), Patrick van Aanholt (LB) , Pape Souare (LB) , Timothy Fosu-Mensah (RB/CB/CM), James Tomkins (CB/RB), Mamadou Sakho (CB), Martin Kelly (RB/CB/LB)

Luka Milivojević (CM), Yohan Cabaye (CM), James McArthur (CM), Erdal Rakip (CM/RM), Jaïro Riedewald (CM/CB), Andros Townsend (RM/LM), Wilfried Zaha (RM/LM)

Alexander Sørloth (ST)
Christian Benteke (ST)

leaving behind:
33. Jaroslaw Jach (CB)
27. Damien Delaney (CB)
14. Lee Chung-yong (RM/CM)

TBH Jach and Erdal are categorised more on squad balance re roles than quality at this point.

Not sure it need summarising too much but I would say that we didn't get close to strengthening the summer closure squad or addressing it's shortfalls of a missing keeper and 2 strikers.

A more damning articulation would be that we were already short of those 3 players but since then we have lost from that squad Schlupp, Dann, Puncheon, and Sako. Our response has been the 3 youngsters with zero experience. TBF we have recovered Souare although Roy appears reluctant to use him so far. This does feel underwhelming - I am being polite.

I think, particularly in midfield, we will end up sweating every time a card is pulled out or a player goes down in each of 13 remaining games. If Ruben surprises us and returns match fit in 3-4 weeks then it will feel significantly better and perhaps that is our biggest hope.

Did I really pin my hopes on Ruben getting match fit sometime soon? I guess I did. Whatever, we are stuck with it. The quality of the best 11 should be enough to compete and battle but it is paper thin unless the youngsters surprise us and to some extent surprise Roy. Like most long term managers he values experience and he has no choice here but to rely on some younger heads. I hope he gives Jairo a chance because he hasn't let us down and has looked solid to me.

Last edited by Martin H; 01-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
A mere aside chaps, but by my reckoning, and I may be a doofus, but it would appear we have 24 overage players in our squad, so we can add a free agent keeper?
Old 01-02-2018, 10:28 AM
AWM V 41 118,119

Brummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Wy have some already voted , still 2/3 of an hour to go
Because they wanted to start a thread that will get to over 200 in record time!

Old 01-02-2018, 10:30 AM
AWM V 41 118,119

Brummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
A mere aside chaps, but by my reckoning, and I may be a doofus, but it would appear we have 24 overage players in our squad, so we can add a free agent keeper?
If there's a free agent keeper that's worth having would we not have got him in the window?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Premiership 22/23

rbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Excited about Sørloth - not sure about the others but potential for sure
Old 01-02-2018, 10:38 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
It was a ok window. Signed 3 players, lost no-one (not counting Lapado). All 3 signings international players. Would have liked a keeper... but it seems we’ve got one lined up for the summer
Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Kiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
It was a ok window. Signed 3 players, lost no-one (not counting Lapado). All 3 signings international players. Would have liked a keeper... but it seems we’ve got one lined up for the summer
This
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Hector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHector came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Now days I never expect much in transfer windows and hope to be surprised. I wasn't in this one. The 3 players are not likely to have a dramatic impact on our season so essentially they are cover until next season. It looks to me like the board saw that Roy has got us to mid table and think he can repeat the form for the remaining games. It's a gamble but not an outrageous one.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:52 AM

Kiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiazer Soze : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We need to start signing younger players with potential, I know everyone will say that we need to sign proven players but that's why we are up to the limits on spending because all of our established players have no resell value.We have a fairly good spine of the team and a new Keeper in the Summer will be great but we need to see some young players grow and perform,it's just unfortunate that there not coming from our Academy
Old 01-02-2018, 10:56 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
You forgot we’ve lost Sako .
Old 01-02-2018, 10:56 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
In one sense it’s refreshing that we’ve signed 3 possible unearthed gems (and let’s face it, this is what having scouts is all about) instead of the normal merry go round, dead wood. On the flip side, I can’t help but feel a little underwhelmed. Only time will tell whether its successful.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
If we hadn't lost Dann, Puncheon, Schlupp, RLC and Sako long-term it wouldn't have been that bad.

However, losing all of them, not really replacing them (Jarek?) and not bringing in a keeper makes this window a failure.

Of course there will be a thousand reasons it worked out like it did, but just looking at the outcome it hasn't been good.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM

PalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is herePalaceForever Sam the man is here
The Summer was the real disaster, this window felt more or less how it was expected to go. I think if we'd got Ibrahim Amadou, I'd be happier.

I'm hoping Parish, Roy and Freedman got together and decided the plan together, agreed it wasn't worth paying inflated fees to fire fight and that we should have enough to stay up, so we can keep budget for the Summer and can get better value.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:33 AM

sydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sunday will tell us a lot. Slimani was a great loan deal by Newcastle. If they beat us we are down. If he scores it was a very bad window!
Closed Thread