Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Old 15-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
There will be quite a few leaving, it would be great if those Mutch / Lee / Fryers / Campbell type roles could be replaced from the Academy and we could just sign three or four top-notch first teasers in key positions.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
Because mandanda will stay or because we won't need one?
Well.. imo we will need one as hennessey isn't upto it.. but i think it will be down to finance. Can't imagine mandanda being here still.. but who knows.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Zouma is a shout
Would love Arnatovic or Shaqiri, bit of deadball quality
He stoke pair.. no thanks.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Probationary User

Lprkorngod is playing for a contract
Really need to upgrade our midfield, If we can keep Cabaye, I'd love to see us bring in a player in the mould of Capoue/M'Vila/Kouyaté to play alongside them both.

Add some real strength and guile to dovetail with Luka, focus on dominating midfield, picking up interceptions and winning 2nd balls and then breaking with pace.
Old 15-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Registered Confused.

Brod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBrod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We spent £30m in Jan so I dont think we'll go huge this summer.

GK
CB (I think Sakho will be too rich for us so maybe Kone or similar at half the price and most of the ability is more likely)
AM
DM (N'Diaye looked good yesterday)

Couple of loans maybe - striker and a RB?

Renew Wilf and keep Cabaye and Henessey as no. 2 and that'll be it. Ward (with Kelly back-up) and Campbell (as 4th choice striker) are fine unless Sam can pick up better cheaply.

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
Old 15-05-2017, 11:28 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
Because mandanda will stay or because we won't need one?
Coz with Sakho we don't really need a keeper , silly
Old 15-05-2017, 11:31 AM

RisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is hereRisZero Sam the man is here
Keeping key names will be just as important as bringing in new ones, but as things are right now:

GK - Im guessing Mandanda will go, ideally someone good enough to take the first team spot
CB - Sakho preferred
RB - Competition might be fine, need to see if Ward can get back to form under Sam, if not someone to step in
AMC - Puncheon is great for the club but we can get more than 5 assists out of this position
FW - Right now if Benteke gets injured we might have problems. Might need 2 depending on how we feel Wickhams chances of staying fit are

Dont for a second think we will get this many but any of the above improves us

@RisZero

cpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is here
If we're after a keeper has to Begovic surely?

cdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is here
Keeper
Defoe
Sakho
CM x 2
RB
Couple of loans backup for Wilf/Townsend
Old 15-05-2017, 11:35 AM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
Don't forget we'll get two loans and I imagine with the quality on the fringes of the top four that's two top additions we can add with no hefty transfer fee.

Clinton Morrison.
Old 15-05-2017, 11:36 AM

Palacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalacebear : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
There will be quite a few leaving, it would be great if those Mutch / Lee / Fryers / Campbell type roles could be replaced from the Academy and we could just sign three or four top-notch first teasers in key positions.

For me, this is the key to us progressing, we need a really strong 16 or 17 players, so that we are not severely disadvantaged with a few injuries. We could even use substitutes tactically, rather than out of necessity.

Since Luka's arrival, it feels so much more positive seeing the likes of mcarthur coming on to replace Cabaye, rather than Mutch or Lee.

Imagine if we have sakho, Tompkins & Dann fighting for the starting 2 CB spots, knowing that if one gets a knock, another quality replacement is or the bench or Defoe on the bench if we need to go 2 up top or replace benteke during a game.
Old 15-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Canterbury Eagle

NateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNateEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
Is the N'Diaye you refer to the one in the Hull team today? I thought he was their best player. On loan from Villarreal and 27 years old. I think he would be an excellent value replacement for Ledley.
Yep, said the same to my bro during the game, was their only positive thing yesterday. Good on the ball, relaxed, strong, spread the play.
Old 15-05-2017, 12:20 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Was waiting for us to be safe before posting. Warning: this is going to be a long post. First of all, let's look at players who we might look to keep. I've included the long term injured as well:

Henessey
Speroni

Souare
Van Aanholt
Schlupp

Delaney
Dann
Tomkins
Kelly
Ward

Townsend

Puncheon
Cabaye
McArthur
Milivojevic

Zaha
Sako

Benteke
Wickham

We shouldn't be considering anyone else for the squad if we have Top 8 aspirations. And we do. I appreciate there will be question marks over Cabaye returning to France (I assume Mandanda won't be here), Sako and the injured players Wickham and Souare returning to fitness in time. So a minimum of 6 players: 5 outfield players, and 1 goalkeeper.

Big Sam has already shown that he is happy to play with 3 at the back, and I think this should be factored into the considerations for the squad. I am not for one minute suggesting we do a Chelsea and play 3 at the back on a regular basis. But we need that flexibility. That's why I have grouped the players as above. I would look to add the following:

Goalkeeper
Speroni is back-up, question marks over Henessey remain and Mandanda is either not fancied or unsettled. In short we will need a new No1. I would like to see Henessey offered a contract to become No2. But we definitely need a new first choice. I would go for Asmir Begovic. He's experienced, he will never play with Courtois in front of him, and he is settled in London. He's a good age.

Left back/wing-back
With PVA, Schlupp and Souare we don't need anyone here. All three can play left back or left wing back. No issues.

Centre back
Obviously Sakho will be one of our top targets. I don't see why we can't get him in. With Dann, Delaney, Tomkins, Kelly and even Ward that should be enough. I feel that Schlupp may also be considered as cover at centre back due to his pace, and ability to cope with the small fast forwards currently on show in the Premiership.

Right back/right wing back
I think Joel Ward has been an outstanding servant to the club, and has shown he can defend and is dependable. He's good back-up, but ideally we need a new right back that's comfortable in possession and good going forward. Trippier would have been excellent, but can't see Spurs selling, or the player wanting a move. Any other suggestions are welcome. The alternative would be to switch to wing backs. If we did that then Townsend (with a pre-season learning the position) might be able to perform there. Big Sam has already tried him at left wing back and right wing back. He is comfortable on the ball, a good crosser, and if we played with the full backs/wing backs further forward (as all the top teams do) then he just might suit us. I also think he would get more space to cut in and shoot if he was coming from deeper. Let's be honest, Andros is a top player with an excellent engine, but he hasn't scored enough goals (or even looked like scoring) other than on the counter attack. That's not good enough support as a winger or attacking mid for Benteke imho. If we were to play a slightly more expansive style then I think a small tweak could see Townsend become even more valuable to us.

Defensive midfield
Milivojevic has been an excellent acquisition because he is happy to just sit in (unlike Cabaye and McArthur who want to surge forward) and he reads the game so well. We do however need cover. I would look no further than Jan Kirchoff. His injury record is a concern. However, on a free, he looks like a risk worth taking. Not only can he play defensive mid, he could also cover at centre back. And his physical presence makes him tailor-made for Palace.

Box-to-box midfield
This to me is the one position that I feel would improve our XI the most. I also feel it is where the squad is weakest. Whether we play 4-5-1 or 3-5-1-1 we will be playing with 3 in the centre mid. Currently to play alongside Luka we only have Puncheon, McArthur and Cabaye who are good enough, but there are question marks over all of them. Jason Puncheon has been a superb captain and ambassador for our club, but let's not dress it up: he's had a dreadful season on the pitch. He's 30, and he is coming to the end of his career. Yohan Cabaye can only last 60 minutes, is also coming to the end of his career, and is linked with a return to France. Despite this, I would love to keep him because he has undoubted quality. However it should be as a squad player rather than as a regular starter. James McArthur is injury prone, and lacks the quality necessary. Again, he's a squad player. I think we need at least one box-to-box midfielder for the XI. Possibly two depending on what formation Big Sam wants to play. Personally, I would not hesitate to take a calculated risk and go for Jack Wilshere, either on a permanent or on loan. He has been played too far forward in the past. Hodgson was closer to understanding the player, having him as a holding mid. But to flourish he needs to play box-to-box in a counter attacking team. He would be perfect as a box-to-box alongside Milivojevic. Left footed and all the talent in the world. Could also take the free kicks. Sign him up.

Attacking midfield/wing attack/No10
The BBS yearns for a No10. I think we need someone very attack-minded who can score/assist goals and take free-kicks. Sigurdsson would be a perfect fit for us as he can play in a variety of positions, works hard and has undoubted quality - just what we are missing. However I expect us to miss out on him as it looks like he is Everton bound. Such a shame. A different type of player we should take a punt on though is Adama Traore. Bags of pace, I feel he could play in a variety of positions, and would cause havoc running with the ball through the middle/inside right, especially playing close to Benteke. Questionable attitude, but still has time to turn it around as he is very young.

Centre forward/target man/striker
Hoping that Wickham is back fit soon. He is a decent player when fully up to speed. Hope he is enough cover. However we should definitely go in for Defoe. A proper professional, Big Sam likes him and as long as he is prepared to sit on the bench and sit out the odd game he could be a real weapon.

In order of preference:
1) Wilshere
2) Sigurdsson
3) Sakho
4) Begovic
5) Traore
6) Defoe
7) Kirchoff

This is the sort of quality we need to bring in if we are to compete for a Top 8 finish. Would give us strength in depth for something like:

-------------------------Begovic------------------------
-----------Tomkins------Dann--------Sakho--------------
Townsend----Milivojevic-----Wilshere--------Van Aanholt
-----------Zaha-------------------------Sigurdsson---------
-------------------------Benteke-----------------------------

Subs:

Speroni
Schlupp
Ward
Kirchoff
Cabaye
Defoe
Traore
Old 15-05-2017, 12:24 PM
old git

pallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is here
New flip flops, swimming shorts oh wait read thread wrong.
Old 15-05-2017, 12:27 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallet View Post
New flip flops, swimming shorts oh wait read thread wrong.
Are you Kebe?
Old 15-05-2017, 12:44 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post
Well.. imo we will need one as hennessey isn't upto it.. but i think it will be down to finance. Can't imagine mandanda being here still.. but who knows.
I imagine there being £75m available for players. Why wouldn't there be? Until this window just gone our net spend has been quite low. We need a minimum of two new first XI midfield starters. And a new goalkeeper. Plus Sakho. We need a minimum of 6 new players. Sure, there are some free transfers and a couple of loans are possible. But I reckon we will need 3 quality first XI players who will cost circa £25m each. Ambition was good under Pardew. Quality of first XI is not too bad. But net spend has been low and the squad is very thin.

Now is the time to splash the cash. There will be a minimum of £50m coming back for Zaha in 12 months time in any case. That should help balance the books if needed - £150m for each season we stay in the Premier League.

Last edited by glaziers fan; 15-05-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 15-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
I imagine there being £75m available for players. Why wouldn't there be? Until this window just gone our net spend has been quite low. We need a minimum of two new first XI midfield starters. And a new goalkeeper. Plus Sakho. We need a minimum of 6 new players. Sure, there are some free transfers and a couple of loans are possible. But I reckon we will need 3 quality first XI players who will cost circa £25m each. Ambition was good under Pardew. Quality of first XI is not too bad. But net spend has been low and the squad is very thin.

Now is the time to splash the cash. There will be a minimum of £50m coming back for Zaha in 12 months time in any case. That should help balance the books if needed - £150m for each season we stay in the Premier League.

Highly ambitious GF.

There is no way we will spend £75m mate.. 40-50 more likely
Old 15-05-2017, 01:47 PM

BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!BillyTKid has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post
Highly ambitious GF.

There is no way we will spend £75m mate.. 40-50 more likely
I think we might have spent a fair bit of our summer budget in January.
Old 15-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
I think we might have spent a fair bit of our summer budget in January.
Maybe. I think we'll sign sakho £20m circa.. Defoe free (couple mill signing in fee) then maybe m'villa £10m and one other..

If we don't sign sakho then we'll sign someone like Kone/mbodji for half the price and a keeper.
Old 15-05-2017, 01:59 PM

CP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP-RJW came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
Was waiting for us to be safe before posting. Warning: this is going to be a long post. First of all, let's look at players who we might look to keep. I've included the long term injured as well:

Henessey
Speroni

Souare
Van Aanholt
Schlupp

Delaney
Dann
Tomkins
Kelly
Ward

Townsend

Puncheon
Cabaye
McArthur
Milivojevic

Zaha
Sako

Benteke
Wickham

We shouldn't be considering anyone else for the squad if we have Top 8 aspirations. And we do. I appreciate there will be question marks over Cabaye returning to France (I assume Mandanda won't be here), Sako and the injured players Wickham and Souare returning to fitness in time. So a minimum of 6 players: 5 outfield players, and 1 goalkeeper.

Big Sam has already shown that he is happy to play with 3 at the back, and I think this should be factored into the considerations for the squad. I am not for one minute suggesting we do a Chelsea and play 3 at the back on a regular basis. But we need that flexibility. That's why I have grouped the players as above. I would look to add the following:

Goalkeeper
Speroni is back-up, question marks over Henessey remain and Mandanda is either not fancied or unsettled. In short we will need a new No1. I would like to see Henessey offered a contract to become No2. But we definitely need a new first choice. I would go for Asmir Begovic. He's experienced, he will never play with Courtois in front of him, and he is settled in London. He's a good age.

Left back/wing-back
With PVA, Schlupp and Souare we don't need anyone here. All three can play left back or left wing back. No issues.

Centre back
Obviously Sakho will be one of our top targets. I don't see why we can't get him in. With Dann, Delaney, Tomkins, Kelly and even Ward that should be enough. I feel that Schlupp may also be considered as cover at centre back due to his pace, and ability to cope with the small fast forwards currently on show in the Premiership.

Right back/right wing back
I think Joel Ward has been an outstanding servant to the club, and has shown he can defend and is dependable. He's good back-up, but ideally we need a new right back that's comfortable in possession and good going forward. Trippier would have been excellent, but can't see Spurs selling, or the player wanting a move. Any other suggestions are welcome. The alternative would be to switch to wing backs. If we did that then Townsend (with a pre-season learning the position) might be able to perform there. Big Sam has already tried him at left wing back and right wing back. He is comfortable on the ball, a good crosser, and if we played with the full backs/wing backs further forward (as all the top teams do) then he just might suit us. I also think he would get more space to cut in and shoot if he was coming from deeper. Let's be honest, Andros is a top player with an excellent engine, but he hasn't scored enough goals (or even looked like scoring) other than on the counter attack. That's not good enough support as a winger or attacking mid for Benteke imho. If we were to play a slightly more expansive style then I think a small tweak could see Townsend become even more valuable to us.

Defensive midfield
Milivojevic has been an excellent acquisition because he is happy to just sit in (unlike Cabaye and McArthur who want to surge forward) and he reads the game so well. We do however need cover. I would look no further than Jan Kirchoff. His injury record is a concern. However, on a free, he looks like a risk worth taking. Not only can he play defensive mid, he could also cover at centre back. And his physical presence makes him tailor-made for Palace.

Box-to-box midfield
This to me is the one position that I feel would improve our XI the most. I also feel it is where the squad is weakest. Whether we play 4-5-1 or 3-5-1-1 we will be playing with 3 in the centre mid. Currently to play alongside Luka we only have Puncheon, McArthur and Cabaye who are good enough, but there are question marks over all of them. Jason Puncheon has been a superb captain and ambassador for our club, but let's not dress it up: he's had a dreadful season on the pitch. He's 30, and he is coming to the end of his career. Yohan Cabaye can only last 60 minutes, is also coming to the end of his career, and is linked with a return to France. Despite this, I would love to keep him because he has undoubted quality. However it should be as a squad player rather than as a regular starter. James McArthur is injury prone, and lacks the quality necessary. Again, he's a squad player. I think we need at least one box-to-box midfielder for the XI. Possibly two depending on what formation Big Sam wants to play. Personally, I would not hesitate to take a calculated risk and go for Jack Wilshere, either on a permanent or on loan. He has been played too far forward in the past. Hodgson was closer to understanding the player, having him as a holding mid. But to flourish he needs to play box-to-box in a counter attacking team. He would be perfect as a box-to-box alongside Milivojevic. Left footed and all the talent in the world. Could also take the free kicks. Sign him up.

Attacking midfield/wing attack/No10
The BBS yearns for a No10. I think we need someone very attack-minded who can score/assist goals and take free-kicks. Sigurdsson would be a perfect fit for us as he can play in a variety of positions, works hard and has undoubted quality - just what we are missing. However I expect us to miss out on him as it looks like he is Everton bound. Such a shame. A different type of player we should take a punt on though is Adama Traore. Bags of pace, I feel he could play in a variety of positions, and would cause havoc running with the ball through the middle/inside right, especially playing close to Benteke. Questionable attitude, but still has time to turn it around as he is very young.

Centre forward/target man/striker
Hoping that Wickham is back fit soon. He is a decent player when fully up to speed. Hope he is enough cover. However we should definitely go in for Defoe. A proper professional, Big Sam likes him and as long as he is prepared to sit on the bench and sit out the odd game he could be a real weapon.

In order of preference:
1) Wilshere
2) Sigurdsson
3) Sakho
4) Begovic
5) Traore
6) Defoe
7) Kirchoff

This is the sort of quality we need to bring in if we are to compete for a Top 8 finish. Would give us strength in depth for something like:

-------------------------Begovic------------------------
-----------Tomkins------Dann--------Sakho--------------
Townsend----Milivojevic-----Wilshere--------Van Aanholt
-----------Zaha-------------------------Sigurdsson---------
-------------------------Benteke-----------------------------

Subs:

Speroni
Schlupp
Ward
Kirchoff
Cabaye
Defoe
Traore
NO to Wilshere and Kirchhoff, we don't need more sicknotes.