Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 PM

Johnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnny Byrne came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
Speroni gets across to Son's shot he just misses it. Its not unsaveable at all. I can't find it on Youtube otherwise I'd post it but its there on motd if you record it.

He was unsighted until the last second. Look at the two players obscuring Sonís shot. He did well to get across in the first place. The sad part was the two point blank saves and Wilfís shot wide beforehand - itís been our luck overall since 19 Dec 2015 - the day the Americans invested- coincidence?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
That gives you a complete imbalance to the way you play and if you don't rate his defence work and you have him cutting inside on his right foot you open up the whole of that side of the pitch to their RB and Right mid. That might be ok if you have an extremely good left back but as we don't we would get murdered down that side of the pitch.
That is the concern. We have an extremely good left-sided centre back who may have to move across to cover, with Luka slotting in behind him. That said, I wouldn't play RLC if he doesn't show more desire to track back anyway. And in any case, I think Roy Hodgson will play Schlupp left midfield. We will see!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 PM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesy14 View Post
Despite what I said earlier re getting Wilf out wide, I do fully expect to see something like the following:

Speroni
TFM-Dann/Tomkins-Sakho-Ward
Townsend-Cabaye-Luka-Schlupp
Zaha-Benteke

Wouldn't be my choice but Hodgson seems to like the narrow, 2 banks of 4 - much like how Pulis has us playing a few years back.
Yes, I agree. I think that will be the midfield and attack. Dann will definitely start ahead of Tomkins if fit. And likewise PVA will start at left back if fit. I think Ward may get the nod over TFM at right back.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
This is going to be an interesting one for me and a test for Roy as he seeks to integrate Benteke back into the shape to get the goals we need without tipping over the improved stability at the back or diluting the impact of our better players.

The dilemma remains that to keep his preferred solid 2 banks of 4 and a narrow back 4 he is faced with a few options:

One would be leaving out one of Andros/Wilf. If he leaves out Wilf, he is crazy an if he leaves out Andros he probably won't see many crosses.
One way of keeping them both in the side is to slide into 451 but that would see both Wilf and Andros with defensive duties and changes the way we play and the pressure on opponents etc. significantly. Not necessarily bad - just different.
OR he pushes Andros back into that right sided slot and asks him to play as Macca did - prioritising defence albeit not exclusively. This is actually closer to the role FDB had him playing in a 343 in that HK friendly. Unlike many, I thought it suited him because he I just think he does better when he runs at defences at pace from deep rather than trying to turn his man marker. Most of his best moments seem to come from that.

So if I was Roy I would lean towards that. This seems to me to be the biggest question.

Speroni
Fosu-Mensah - Dann - Sakho - Ward
Townsend - Luka - Cabaye - Schlupp
Benteke - Zaha

I am surprised that some don't rate Timbo. I think he has been a breath of fresh air TBH. A defender who tackles and tackles well, he has pace and despite occasionally getting his starting position wrong, I reckon he gets the job done. I remember Clyne did the same, and still does. Timbo is a top player for me.

Dann really has done well lately and it would be unfair to drop him after Sunday which was surely his best of the season.

Schlupp has at times been awful and then very good 2 mins later. I have picked him mostly because I think Roy will go for safety first. I would rather start with Loftus-Cheek who I think could drive through their fragile midfield but maybe a sub in the second half?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 PM

alanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is here
Benteke will be on the bench I reckon
Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
This is going to be an interesting one for me and a test for Roy as he seeks to integrate Benteke back into the shape to get the goals we need without tipping over the improved stability at the back or diluting the impact of our better players.

The dilemma remains that to keep his preferred solid 2 banks of 4 and a narrow back 4 he is faced with a few options:

One would be leaving out one of Andros/Wilf. If he leaves out Wilf, he is crazy an if he leaves out Andros he probably won't see many crosses.
One way of keeping them both in the side is to slide into 451 but that would see both Wilf and Andros with defensive duties and changes the way we play and the pressure on opponents etc. significantly. Not necessarily bad - just different.
OR he pushes Andros back into that right sided slot and asks him to play as Macca did - prioritising defence albeit not exclusively. This is actually closer to the role FDB had him playing in a 343 in that HK friendly. Unlike many, I thought it suited him because he I just think he does better when he runs at defences at pace from deep rather than trying to turn his man marker. Most of his best moments seem to come from that.

So if I was Roy I would lean towards that. This seems to me to be the biggest question.

Speroni
Townsend - Luka - Cabaye - Schlupp
Benteke - Zaha

I am surprised that some don't rate Timbo. I think he has been a breath of fresh air TBH. A defender who tackles and tackles well, he has pace and despite occasionally getting his starting position wrong, I reckon he gets the job done. I remember Clyne did the same, and still does. Timbo is a top player for me.

Dann really has done well lately and it would be unfair to drop him after Sunday which was surely his best of the season.

Schlupp has at times been awful and then very good 2 mins later. I have picked him mostly because I think Roy will go for safety first. I would rather start with Loftus-Cheek who I think could drive through their fragile midfield but maybe a sub in the second half?
PVA will start at left back if fit. Otherwise I agree. (I'd have TFM right back and RLC left mid, but I think Roy will go with Ward right back and Schlupp left mid for their experience).

As you say, at least the subs bench is there for the 2nd half!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlee11 View Post
Benteke will be on the bench I reckon
No way, Roy will want him in from the kick off.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM

FMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post

As you say, at least the subs bench is there for the 2nd half!
Or in Roy's world , the last 15 minutes.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:59 AM

costello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If Benteke plays - and assuming that Wilf and Andros retain their places - the risk is that this makes us weaker as a defensive unit. I suspect we might switch to a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Cabaye, Luka and McArthur.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 AM

eagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Apologies if already suggested:

Speroni
Zaha - Cabaye - Milivojevic - Townsend
Loftus-Cheek
Benteke

Last edited by eagle101; 12-11-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12-11-2017, 01:29 AM

Die hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDie hard Hoj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle101 View Post

Speroni
Fosu-Mensa - Dann - Sakho - Ward
Loftus-Cheek
Benteke
Yep!
Old 12-11-2017, 04:31 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
-------- Speroni
Tofu-Mensa Dann Sakho Schlupp
--- Cabaye --- Luka ---
------------------RLC -----------
Townsend ------------ Mr Wilfred Zaha
----------------- Big Ben Teke ----------

Very harsh on Ward but the pace on the flanks we have with this team will be hard to deal with and if Luka and Cabaye are disciplined we will remain solid and have cover to nullify any counter attack. With the overload of pace and skills on the flanks space should open up for RLC in the middle and chances be created for CB
Old 12-11-2017, 05:06 AM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Speroni
Loftus-Cheek
Benteke

Hell of a team that
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 AM

TheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace_burger View Post
Hell of a team that

But will Roy play it ? I d have Tomkins over Dann too.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Mr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Bo Jangles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Speroni
Loftus-Cheek
Benteke
Change of formation (again) is risky and not sure Roy would like the 4-2-3-1 which this would be, but I really like that team, think it would score goals. As others have said, the only dilemma is Ward out of position at left back rather than Schupp or PVA but Ward had a very good game against Spurs and would be difficult to drop.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Semi retired idiot

penguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepenguin7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post

We are short of wide midfielders/wingers. Neither of the above should be playing out of position.
I had to laugh at this ! ! And GFs team selection has Wilf up front.

Roy does not think he is a striker, and more importantly Wilf himself does not either.

And RLC is clearly not best suited to play as a winger. "He's at his best receiving the ball behind the opposition midfield, driving towards goal and sliding passes into people. He can take the ball under pressure too which is a great skill to have." Gareth Southgate.

Square pegs will not fit into round holes.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:40 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bo Jangles View Post
Change of formation (again) is risky and not sure Roy would like the 4-2-3-1 which this would be, but I really like that team, think it would score goals. As others have said, the only dilemma is Ward out of position at left back rather than Schupp or PVA but Ward had a very good game against Spurs and would be difficult to drop.
Change of the formation should not be too much of an issue. 7 of that starting 11 have been at Beckenham for the fortnight. If it is Ward at RB and Schlupp/PVA at LB then to goes up to 8. Of the remainder Zaha slots in and is little change to him. Luka plays in the same role as always so the only risk is RLC coming back in buth does so off. MotM on his England debut and the knowledge he has a real shot at going to the WC.

IF we are going to make that change, now is the time to do it.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Banned by Moderators

jimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is here
Quote:

Speroni
Loftus-Cheek
Benteke
Indeed.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 PM

bigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbigGcpfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
RLC has to start but where ever he wants to play. He reminds me a lot of a young Tom Huddleston. Looks lazy but with a good football brain.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 PM

tbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetbooker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigGcpfc View Post
RLC has to start but where ever he wants to play. He reminds me a lot of a young Tom Huddleston. Looks lazy but with a good football brain.
Is that you Louis Walsh?