Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Dogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDogburger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
Kent Cup played August 1975.
Lost at home to Charlton 0-1 then drew away at Gillingham and Millwall, both 1-1 draws. Did not qualify for further progress.
I remember that , bunked off work early with a sick bug to go to the Gillingham away game . Got to Selhurst far too early for the coach but there was a game of football tennis going on in the court between Vennables and The groundsman Len Chatterton . Don't ask me why but it was better than looking at the car park and as I remember the highlight of the day
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Your getting old......

You posted this in 2005....

l[/url]
Don't know if it's the memory or the fact that I had far more patience to look up things in those far gone days
Old 13-07-2017, 06:10 AM

selhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betrayselhursthoover is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssassin View Post
Nice one WE. Just looked a few of them up. Cheers for the info.

Never knew about the Texaco Cup, Football League Group cup or the Southern Professional Floodlit Cup.

I guess the Surrey Cup should get an honourable mention too.
The Surrey Cup. The memories. Used to go to these.

'Ash on the Lash' was the last.

Old 13-07-2017, 11:28 AM

TheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised LandTheJam is dancing like John the Baptist, telling me you're gonna take me to the Promised Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssassin View Post
Nice one WE. Just looked a few of them up. Cheers for the info.

Never knew about the Texaco Cup, Football League Group cup or the Southern Professional Floodlit Cup.

I guess the Surrey Cup should get an honourable mention too.
Surrey Cup certainly worth a mention, as we thrashed poor Dulwich Hamlet in successive years -- 6-0 in Nov.'58, and 8-1 in Nov.'59!!
Old 16-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Seem to recall through the mists of time that we won a televised 5 a side competition in 79 with Sansom,Nicholas and Vince Hilaire in the team.Hardly lost a game that season!Can anyonle else remember that or am I going mad?
Old 16-07-2017, 02:20 PM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We were in the London Challenge Cup 1909 to 1974 won it 3 times in the early years, played our first team at the start later used reserves.
Old 16-07-2017, 02:51 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Bit lame I know, but I can recall us playing a friendly against Chelsea where we were given a cup. We won 3-1. Now some people will also recall we were given the 2nd division championship trophy in 1979, also before a friendly match against Chelsea. I am not referring to this one. Does anyone remember the match - it would have probably been around 1980 and what the hell was the trophy for?
Old 16-07-2017, 05:24 PM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
Bit lame I know, but I can recall us playing a friendly against Chelsea where we were given a cup. We won 3-1. Now some people will also recall we were given the 2nd division championship trophy in 1979, also before a friendly match against Chelsea. I am not referring to this one. Does anyone remember the match - it would have probably been around 1980 and what the hell was the trophy for?
All I can remember is parading the 2nd div trophy against a Chelsea in 79 or 80. We won 4 or 5 nil and their fans went ballistic after...,
Old 16-07-2017, 05:58 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
All I can remember is parading the 2nd div trophy against a Chelsea in 79 or 80. We won 4 or 5 nil and their fans went ballistic after...,
Yes remember it was 5-0. The game I am talking about was a midweek evening match. We won 3-1 amd got presented with some cup. Thought it was strange at the time. Hopefully someone might remember this
Old 18-07-2017, 05:08 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
The game I am talking about was a midweek evening match. We won 3-1 amd got presented with some cup. Thought it was strange at the time. Hopefully someone might remember this
The only time CP has defeated Chelsea 3-1 at home was the League Cup tie in January 1993 played in torrential rain and Chris Coleman's slow motion goal as the ball was held up in the water and trickled over the line. I cannot remember a cup presentation though.

There are two 'Surrey' Cups. The Surrey Invitation Cup where the reference to Dulwich Hamlet has already been mentioned and the Surrey Senior Cup for the groundhoppers amongst us.
Old 18-07-2017, 08:01 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Quote:
The only time CP has defeated Chelsea 3-1 at home was the League Cup tie in January 1993 played in torrential rain and Chris Coleman's slow motion goal as the ball was held up in the water and trickled over the line. I cannot remember a cup presentation though.

There are two 'Surrey' Cups. The Surrey Invitation Cup where the reference to Dulwich Hamlet has already been mentioned and the Surrey Senior Cup for the groundhoppers amongst us.
Ian, this game was a friendly. Perhaps I got the score wrong but we definitely played Chelsea in a friendly not to be confused with the 5-0 game of 1979. Is there any record of it, from around 1980.
Old 18-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Green man

OldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
Seem to recall through the mists of time that we won a televised 5 a side competition in 79 with Sansom,Nicholas and Vince Hilaire in the team.Hardly lost a game that season!Can anyonle else remember that or am I going mad?
This rings a bell with me - don't recall whether we won it or not
Old 18-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Genius

joyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejoyce the voice : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPeanutSeller View Post
This rings a bell with me - don't recall whether we won it or not
I went to that so it definitely did happen! I think we won but I can't really remember.
Old 18-07-2017, 09:42 PM

TenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningTenEmBee would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce the voice View Post
I went to that so it definitely did happen! I think we won but I can't really remember.
Yeah I went to this too. Sure it was the Daily Express 5 a side at Wembley Arena
Old 18-07-2017, 10:31 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Ian, this game was a friendly. Perhaps I got the score wrong but we definitely played Chelsea in a friendly not to be confused with the 5-0 game of 1979. Is there any record of it, from around 1980.
Got the answer.
On 5th May 1980 Palace played Chelsea at SP for the George Graham Testimonial and won 3-1.

In my scrapbook I have a picture from a paper of George Graham, Terry Venables and Chelsea manager Geoff Hurst presenting Jim Cannon with the Sportsman Club Trophy but there is nothing to say what it is for and no mention in the programme.!

Last edited by ian king; 18-07-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 19-07-2017, 06:04 AM
I DON'T look like SJ

Quote:
Got the answer.
On 5th May 1980 Palace played Chelsea at SP for the George Graham Testimonial and won 3-1.

In my scrapbook I have a picture from a paper of George Graham, Terry Venables and Chelsea manager Geoff Hurst presenting Jim Cannon with the Sportsman Club Trophy but there is nothing to say what it is for and no mention in the programme.!
Hallelujah. That has haunted me for years, we played a friendly V Chelsea, won 3-1 and got a trophy. Even I startet to doubt myself. Thanks for clearing that up Ian.
Old 19-07-2017, 06:19 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Well done Ian. Any chance it was just a recognition thing for Jimbo? Perhaps he did a lot of work for organising the testimonial??
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 19-07-2017, 06:32 AM

SilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is hereSilentAssassin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhursthoover View Post
The Surrey Cup. The memories. Used to go to these.

'Ash on the Lash' was the last.

Used to enjoy going to the games as a kid growing up. Still remember one of the games, can't remember if it was a final or not and seeing some of our younger players get a right good kicking in the game.

I'd like to say it was around the time Steve Kabba was pulling up trees in the youth team scoring goals for fun but I'm not 100% certain he played in the game in hindsight. It must of been around his era we pulled our youth squads out of the competition altogether after that?
Old 20-07-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenEmBee View Post
Yeah I went to this too. Sure it was the Daily Express 5 a side at Wembley Arena
Well that's a relief Im not going mad and guess what?We won the competition!