Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo
£135k from what i understand is the maximum compensation for a player moving between European nations.
I've found a sum of £700K on the NZ Arsenal supporters' club site
Old 11-03-2009, 04:33 PM
looking to curl one!!!!

Dingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDingle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Ron
I find Dingle's signature with the quotes embedded in it more annoying than Johnny Bostock.
Don't read it then!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 PM

OneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOneSize came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
This was obviously a very high profile case, but doesn't this sort of thing happen all the time?

I can't think of many off the top of my head, but Micah Richards was one who was 'plucked' from Oldham at about age 13 for just a 20% sell on clause or something.
Fabien Delph who playes for Leeds was snatched from Bradford and pretty much every southampton player due to them having double the distance allowed to take players than almost every other club.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Eye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is here
For me, it's not the 15 year old Bostock as was that I hate personally, I hate what he represents, his advisers, guardians, step-parents and all the others, no doubt rubbing their hands in anticipation.

They promised they were loyal to Palace and said he would stay, and even after all that Palace and Simon Jordan had done for them, they sh*t on them, and on us, the supporters by going back on their word. I can't forgive that or forget.

So Bostock for me will forever represent the grasping, back stabbing side of football that we see so much of these days, unlucky son, but that's the way it is. And if misfortune comes your way, you will get no sympathy from here, they have lumbered you with that cross for the rest of your days.
My brother Pc Patrick Dunne - A Tribute (Patrick is the pianist too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfmADrc4fsg
Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham_eagle
I've found a sum of £700K on the NZ Arsenal supporters' club site
Thought it was a figure (£135k) bandied about at the time of teh Bostock affair that if he had gone to Barca then that is all we would have got due to it being the maximum. Not sure if the European stuff has add ons etc which may have seen Fabregas' price increase i am not too sure on the rules there.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thought it was a figure (£135k) bandied about at the time of teh Bostock affair that if he had gone to Barca then that is all we would have got due to it being the maximum. Not sure if the European stuff has add ons etc which may have seen Fabregas' price increase i am not too sure on the rules there.
Ah, I see. The figure I quoted would probably have been a guess anyway.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-dee
They promised they were loyal to Palace and said he would stay, and even after all that Palace and Simon Jordan had done for them, they sh*t on them, and on us, the supporters by going back on their word. I can't forgive that or forget.
But you also do not know what was done for them, what might or might not have been said to them.

We know that someone at Palace told him that NW would play long ball bypassing the midfield and he would not be suited to it (which has turned out to be quite accurate for long periods this season) and this was a factor in him going.

Lets not forget that NW refused to play him until he signed the contract (scholarship) after he turned 16, which may not have gone down too well with him. Was NW the right manager to deal with an emerging talent like him? Who knows, afterall he also left Ben Watson out of the team photo and refused to play him and we know what a difference he made to the side when Warnocks hand was forced. Not to mention the well published comments made to Clinton. That is before we even find out what the offer from Palace actually was.

Therefore i would ask what did Palace and Simon Jordan do for Bostock and his family?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham_eagle
Ah, I see. The figure I quoted would probably have been a guess anyway.
But no matter how you see the figure it is a derisory price for a player with the talents of Fabregas and Bostock at the ages they were.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:48 PM

eagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
We know that someone at Palace told him that NW would play long ball bypassing the midfield and he would not be suited to it (which has turned out to be quite accurate for long periods this season) and this was a factor in him going.
He should've gone to Doncaster then.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Eye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is hereEye-dee Sam the man is here
Quote:
But you also do not know what was done for them, what might or might not have been said to them.

Lets not forget that NW refused to play him until he signed the contract (scholarship) after he turned 16, which may not have gone down too well with him. Was NW the right manager to deal with an emerging talent like him? Who knows, afterall he also left Ben Watson out of the team photo and refused to play him and we know what a difference he made to the side when Warnocks hand was forced. Not to mention the well published comments made to Clinton. That is before we even find out what the offer from Palace actually was.

Therefore i would ask what did Palace and Simon Jordan do for Bostock and his family?
It's a fair comment and one can only base opinions on what one knows at the time.

I would love to hear the full story, it's not like me to condem someone without a fair trial, but where Palace is concerned they come first
My brother Pc Patrick Dunne - A Tribute (Patrick is the pianist too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfmADrc4fsg
Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
No we don't. Jordan came out publicly and said that he asked the Bostocks who this was. The Bostocks never told him who and so Jordan has said that he believes that this story was complete fabrication from the Bostocks.

Whether it is true or not, only the Bostocks know. However, I would prefer to believe Jordan in this case over the boy who said he 'loves' Palace,
Old 11-03-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva
No we don't. Jordan came out publicly and said that he asked the Bostocks who this was. The Bostocks never told him who and so Jordan has said that he believes that this story was complete fabrication from the Bostocks.

Whether it is true or not, only the Bostocks know. However, I would prefer to believe Jordan in this case over the boy who said he 'loves' Palace,
I would prefer to believe the Bostocks as the story has an element of truth to it and i simply do not trust anything mr 'Clever Sausage' has to say, he has been proved a liar time and again.

I could take a few guesses as to who might have spoken to Bostock about it but it would be pure speculation, and not very worthwhile but you have to admit that if you assume someone did tell him this that it HAS come true and therefore if he was not going to play in a team suiting him what did he have to gain by remaining at Palace.

Undoubtedly at Spurs he will be getting more money, he will be traing possibly with better coaches (they will be better paid than Palaces) and undoubtedly with better players. He will learn more at Spurs not playing than he would at Palace either not playing or even playing in a long ball side.

I have taken the assumption he was told about the tactics and on that basis i think he made the rigth footballing decision regadless of money. If you assume he was not told the intended tactic then i can see the arguement that he did not make the footballing decision and simply followed the money.

You pays your money and you takes you choice on what you do and do not believe.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM

eagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle101 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Undoubtedly at Spurs he will be getting more money, he will be traing possibly with better coaches (they will be better paid than Palaces) and undoubtedly with better players. He will learn more at Spurs not playing than he would at Palace either not playing or even playing in a long ball side.
I haven't heard of many players of Bostock's age who progressed well from being coached by very good coaches and not playing, rather than being coached by good coaches and playing first team football quite regularly.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle101
I haven't heard of many players of Bostock's age who progressed well from being coached by very good coaches and not playing, rather than being coached by good coaches and playing first team football quite regularly.
Ok to that i would simply suggest that you look no further than youngsters at Palace. Hills, Scannell, Moses, all played 1st team last year and were looking top top prospects with enquiries as we were led to believe from Prem sides.

This season they have featured very sparingly, often out of position and in games where the style of play simply doesn't suit.

Have any of them progressed in the last 12 months? Realistically have any of them stayed static, you could argue they anot not only no better but they are worse now than this time last year!

I have no idea how Bostock has progressed, i have not seen him play since he joined spurs but i do disagree that your arguement is as clear cut as you think it is. Players improve under good coaches improving the skills that are already good and they are trying to make great. Watching the ball sail over his head on the occasions he did get to play would not have improved Bostock.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
I would prefer to believe the Bostocks as the story has an element of truth to it and i simply do not trust anything mr 'Clever Sausage' has to say, he has been proved a liar time and again.
So its not a definite fact. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Ok to that i would simply suggest that you look no further than youngsters at Palace. Hills, Scannell, Moses, all played 1st team last year and were looking top top prospects with enquiries as we were led to believe from Prem sides.

This season they have featured very sparingly, often out of position and in games where the style of play simply doesn't suit.

Have any of them progressed in the last 12 months? Realistically have any of them stayed static, you could argue they anot not only no better but they are worse now than this time last year!

I have no idea how Bostock has progressed, i have not seen him play since he joined spurs but i do disagree that your arguement is as clear cut as you think it is. Players improve under good coaches improving the skills that are already good and they are trying to make great. Watching the ball sail over his head on the occasions he did get to play would not have improved Bostock.
I see your point, but to be fair, you're making out that the tactics would be as clear cut as 'watching the ball sail over his head'; when Watson was playing, I'd say that the ball didn't sail over the midfield's head that much, because Ben had the presence and skill to dominate a (Championship) midfield - something I think Bostock would also (perhaps eventually) be able to do. Who's to say that if Bostock was playing, he wouldn't be helping dominate the midfield in the Watson role?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle101
Who's to say that if Bostock was playing, he wouldn't be helping dominate the midfield in the Watson role?
I truly thought he would become to us what Gerrard is to Liverpool, and do that not just to the midfield but the whole team. And in time i had no doubt he would. With Watson playing i doubt if he would have played that much (especially centrally) if i am honest. WIthout him i am not sure if he would be able to stamp that authority on the game on his own, maybe, maybe not. If he could not them long ball it would have been, and we often played that WITH Watson in the side. No player can dictate enough to over-rule the manager chosen style of play, which i believe is the case.

I wondered something and popped onto soccerbase to find something out..

Do you know what is special about Julian Speroni and about Lee Hills now?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM

dufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
That Bostock is an egotistical ingrate I think has been well established, let's not rake over old muck.
Is he at the worst club for him ? No. Is he worse off than he would have been at Palace this season is highly debatable. Temper UEFA cup experience, albeit fleeting ,against half a season in a mediocre Championship team, playing mostly rather unnattractive football, it's a tricky call. Having calmed down from when he moved I actually am inclined to think that he'll learn more at Spurs than he will at Palace at the moment, but the big question will be whether or not he'll get the chance to progress through into the first team there. There is plenty of evidence (Huddlestone,Dawson,Lennon,O'Hara) to suggest he'll get his chances there, then it will be down to him. If he doesn't make it it might not be because he made bad choices, or didn't get his chance. He may simply not turn out to be as good as he himself , & alot of Palace fans, think.
Either way I am so much more interested in the ones who stayed, Moses & Scannell, than the one who got away. I am really hoping for a decent finish to the season, at least enough to persuade them to stay for another season when the suitors come a knocking in the summer, as they surely will. Will we be able to afford to say no then ? Hmmmmm, not sure about that.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva
So its not a definite fact. Thank you.
Not a definate fact no, but i believe from what i know and what has happened over the years that it is true. I also have suspicions as to who it was that said it but they are completely groundless.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufski13
Either way I am so much more interested in the ones who stayed, Moses & Scannell, than the one who got away. I am really hoping for a decent finish to the season, at least enough to persuade them to stay for another season when the suitors come a knocking in the summer, as they surely will. Will we be able to afford to say no then ? Hmmmmm, not sure about that.
Have 2 questions on that.

Firstly, what would be your thoughts and reaction should he return to Palace?

Secondly, on the youngsters we still have, where do you think they are now comapred to last year? Improved static or fallen back, and do you think there will be mch interest especially as clubs look to tighten their belts in hard times?