Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 12-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Sectioned User

Catford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCatford Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle
I know a mate of mine David Davis was a member, he was the lead ballboy for a couple of seasons...which was a shock to us on the terraces as he'd never mentioned he was a Palace fan at school.
Dave's my cousin - his days as a ballboy were always good for getting stuff signed - programmes, There and Back Again etc. Now to be found on Sky Sports as Dickie Davis (never was quite sure of the advantage of changing your name to be the same as an existing presenter, but there you go).
Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 AM

Smithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSmithers-Jones : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Good to hear I'm not the only one who remebers running on to the pitch and doing the thing on the center circle.

I had forgotten most of this stuff like membership cards and ranks (vaguely recall being in the programme sometime around 77/78.

Training at Norbury Park with Terry Fenwick anyone?
Old 23-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Budgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite
Have some great memories of the Palace Guards.

I joined in 1974, when it started up - I used to write in regularly to try and win prizes and also joined one of the football teams - our manager was Bill McAllister and coach was John Harding, we had Tony Shaw's son David in the team.

I remember the first General was a Scots player called Roy Barry - I think my first Palace away trip was a Palace Guard outing to Aldershot in 1975 (Palace lost 1-0!).

I think the Guards was a great idea - but it was scrapped by Ron Noades - because, believe it or not - he thought the idea was too 'Military' and so we had 'Junior Eagles' instead - but without weekly competitions, meetings, football teams , etc. Well done, Ron!

My son joined the Palace Guard football club that is still running and won a few trophies with them and also was a ballboy on many occasions - usually in front of the away section - and he told me of how he was getting stick from a young Tranmere fan, whom he bet Palace would beat on pens in a League Cup match - when Steve Kabba put in the winning Palace pen - the young Rovers fan had dissappeared!
Roy Barry was indeed the first General, who is a legend in Scotland and after many years living in the Croydon area has now returned to his native Dunfermline who he won the Scottish FA cup with.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I have known Roy for many years, sadly his time at Palace was clouded by a fall out he had with Big Mal, but he still has some great memories of his time with us.

I am not sure Ron did disband Palace Guard, I thought they had lost the connection before Ron came to Palace, but I am happy to be corrected. However Junior Eagles used to play matches with other Junior supporters clubs before both home and away matches. In fact I recall one set of games away at Luton in 1990 when we were able to attend the match despite the away fans ban at that time.

[Malcolm Allison, Flamboyant manager with the fedora hat 1927 - 2010 The Eagles "Godfather" RIP
Old 17-11-2016, 11:08 PM

ricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldricks-big-honda was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
For all those intereste i have a load of palace guard kit . Tops shorts etc pm me
Old 18-11-2016, 10:58 AM

Pub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiller View Post
We used to train in the car park in the days before Sainsbury's and sometimes used to train in the Gym in the roof of the Old Stand.
Was there a gym in the roof of the old stand ?

Presume its not there now?
Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM

eltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeltron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Was there a gym in the roof of the old stand ?

Presume its not there now?
Yes there was. I think it was towards the Whitehorse Lane end.
There are some pics of the players training in it somewhere. It was a typical old school gym, with climbing bars, a horse and medicine balls!

And a slant in the roof!