Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 16-09-2018, 09:37 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinbiyifan View Post
Comparisons with Jerome are just daft. Jerome has never been able to score at the top level, Benteke has (16 goals for us in first season, which I think is more than Murray has ever got in a Prem season). Benteke also got a fair few assists last season, probably more than Jerome managed. Right now he can't hit a barn door but we have to back him to try and see if he can turn it around. We do not have many great alternatives.

Glenn Murray, 91 appearances, 26 goals (0.29 goals per game)
Benteke, 189 appearances, 69 goals (0.37 goals per game)
Cameron Jerome, 211 appearances, 33 goals (0.16 goals per game)

Why do people think Murray is the saviour? Okay Benteke might need replacing at the end of the year but there is no reason to suggest it should be for someone of Glenn's quality.
Bournemouth’s tippy tappy football didn’t suit Murray, seemed a bizzare signing to be honest, unless he was just meant to be a plan B. Like how Liverpool’s geigenpressing didn’t suit Benteke.
Old 16-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
Quote:
Btw your calculation should give Benteke 0.41 goals a game. Circuitry on your calculator is like Gareth Keenan’s.
Although he definitely hasn't scored 30 goals for us.
Old 16-09-2018, 10:16 AM

akinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineakinbiyifan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Agreed, and the way we play we are playing does not suit Benteke, and probably wouldn’t suit Murray.
Old 16-09-2018, 08:36 PM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Quote:
Btw your calculation should give Benteke 0.41 goals a game. Circuitry on your calculator is like Gareth Keenan’s.
You are right that my figures do not add up - button pushing was never my strong point. However the figure I got wrong was actually the number of goals scored by Benteke- it was 20 and not 30! There does come a time when you do have to discount previous form as it is too long ago and I felt that was a reasonable time period to look over.

I agree entirely that Benteke has been the better player over his whole career but I'm looking at now (where now is not just the last few games) and that isn't currently the case. How far do you think it is reasonable to go back to consider who is the better player now? I went back 2 seasons plus this one because I thought it was fair to include Benteke's good spell for us. If I had wanted to be mean I would have gone back to the begining of last season only -

Benteke - 34 appearances and 3 goals so 0.08
Murray - 42 appearances and 17 goals so 0.40

ouch!

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis
Old 16-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Block U

Happy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHappy Arthur came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Camjam worked a treat with the pulis 25% football. Not sure where benteke fits into this.
Old 16-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGlɑzier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I do think this is a reasonable way of looking at things. He's had injuries and is now a different type of player to the one he was at Villa. At Villa he looked of comparable quality to Lukaku, now I'd say he's a rich man's Rudy Gestede , having to compensate for his diminished pace and acceleration by becoming a classic hold up and flick-on man. I think Carroll and Wickham have or will also have to do something similar. He has the technical ability to also probably play as a slightly deeper link up man ala Chamakh. If he gets his confidence back he will be very good in either role, but not the player he was threatening to become at Villa - in all honesty that is a player we wouldn't be able to hold onto anyway.
Old 16-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
I will always appreciate what Cameron Jerome did for us
Old 16-09-2018, 10:33 PM
Super Furry Animal

Riley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRiley came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The difference in playing style is in the running. Jerome made himself an utter nuisance in a way it’s hard to see Benteke doing. I’d have him in the squad now!

Benteke does have other qualities but the frustrating thing is that he has done it at this level, whereas Jerome was always a Championship striker busting a gut to prove himself and add value to a Prem team.

I don’t think professionalism comes into the comparison - different people, different characters - but maybe it’s something to do with that inherent hunger and mental resilience? We shouldn’t underestimate the impact of that injury and in turn to his confidence, although that was before he signed for us and notched 17 in his first season.

I think he can hit that form for us again but we shouldn’t expect him to be the player he was at Villa. The rampaging player who robbed Dann on the halfway line before racing clear and slotting it home at the Holmesdale end (much to the chagrin of us looking down) is now just an unhelpful ghost!