Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: motm v Huddersfield
Hennessey 3 0.79%
Wan-Bissaka 19 4.99%
Sakho 5 1.31%
Tomkins 35 9.19%
Van Aanholt 0 0%
Kouyaté 9 2.36%
McArthur 2 0.52%
Milivojevic 0 0%
J Ayew 7 1.84%
Townsend* 1 0.26%
Zaha 296 77.69%
Schlupp* 4 1.05%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-09-2018, 06:27 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by meee View Post
Because Hennessey is still poor.
Until he does something that costs us points he isn't going to get dropped
Old 17-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Bit late but thought I would jot things down for my benefit.

I found it quite a frustrating game to watch because it felt throughout that we couldn't quite get going at any point in the game. We should be and we are better than that and we would get hammered by an average team if we repeat it. We were lucky to take home all of the points and quite easily could have lost. Where have all those passing triangles gone. They only seem to have 2 sides now and we never hit the third one.

A change of formation saw us drop into a 4 3 3 but still playing under the same principles of a narrow defence. I know a lot of people have been shouting for a change to the 442 and they got it. I am not sure we are strong enough at the moment in any department to play do this well (certainly not on Saturday). I don't think we realised the benefits of the two wide forwards and they had no impact on their WB's marauding forward. Both full backs were exposed Luka isn't strong enough to allow Kouyate to wander too far forward and TBH for long periods Wilf and Andros were less effective. Wilf's covering was a little half hearted and with Andros further up the pitch Aaron struggled at times. I don't mean it can't work, more that it's not too close at the moment. As a result Loewe looked like a world class wingback, Billing (who has struggled to adapt to the top tier) looked far better than he has and Mooy had way too much room. A large gap kept forming between Sakho and Tomkins that you could park a double decker in which was exploited with some fine crossing by the Terriers. The defence in front of him was far from solid and at one point it resembled a bad pinball machine and Hennessey did well to be in the right place to push it safely wide. Errors from the whole back line that each could have cost us goals but instead a clean sheet.

Hennessey - 6 - there were a couple of moments where he looked/was made to look flaky but the rest was pretty much as it has been. One of those flaky moments was the fault of the CBs, the other was his but it was 50-50 whether it was the right thing to do anyway as the cross was a beaut. Noticed that a bunch have laid into him as usual but I don't think it was that bad but one to keep an eye on. Defence were far worse.

Wan-Bissaka - 5 - I think if this had been Joel he would have had a proper pasting but he didn't cope so well with things on Saturday and given the benefit due to his inexperience which is fair enough. Needs to learn though. More exposed without Andros shadowing him and added his own errors (positioning and losing possession). WIP and no panics - just some lessons learnt. 1 on 1 he was still fine.

Tomkins - 6 - couple of times I did't think he had a clue where Sakho was and didn't seem to be checking. He seemed to be stepping too far across (to help Aaron?) leaving a gap behind him while Sakho had drifted back. Unless Luka was supposed to drop back in between (which I doubt because there was no sign of it).

Sakho - 6 - see Tomkins - the partnership wasn't fully firing although they did have some awkward opponents.

PVA - 6 - couple of pretty dumb moments and he also struggled with the extra exposure of the 433. Wilf was only covering intermittently and even then not dropping deep. PVA did make a couple of good runs forward but can't seem to do that as easily with this shape.

Kouyate - 6 - solid game in the middle and unlucky not to notch his first goal. There are glimmers of what he can bring to us but hasn't settled yet. I do think the will be a top player for us.

Luka - 6 - given him the benefit of the doubt on this but he really isn't himself. He is rarely picking out a key forward pass these days, isn't as dominant in the middle and spends far more time moaning at his team. Does he have a problem with PVA BTW because I have noticed he has regularly chewed him out during this season's matches. I want the old Luka back. He also needs to be doing his Captain thing re Wilf but seems to have given up (I can imagine he stretches anyone's patience but....)

Macca - 6 - massive energy, does the hard work and still joins the attacks - perfect professional.

Andros - 6 - not his best game. Got a knock from Aaron in the first half but didn't really have much success on the ball.

Ayew - 6 - Not awesome but he was constantly looking for the ball and is no mug when he has it. We need to settle him down into the team and he is a good option for us.

Zaha - 6.5 - the goal was amazing and classic Wilf but we also saw too much of 'other Wilf' with the petulance, the daft booking and TBH periods of little activity and very little covering. BUT the other bits were so good and we were otherwise decidedly average elsewhere and so he gets MOM anyway. I have complete sympathy with this moans and groans but he needs to mean it when he says he will show them with his feet instead of the histrionics. He is such a classy player but has this habit of turning everyone against him which doesn't help anyone.

Not a glowing report and if we look for positives we managed to create good chances despite a mediocre showing and we can play so much better. I do think the 442 suits the personnel better right now but leave it to Roy to decide.
Amazed you think AWB had a poorer game than PVA, who had a complete nightmare, he was comfortably the worst of the back 4 on the day with Tomkins the stand out of the 4.

Same for Luka, he was easily our worst midfield performer
Old 17-09-2018, 06:56 PM

Illeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIlleagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Amazed you think AWB had a poorer game than PVA, who had a complete nightmare, he was comfortably the worst of the back 4 on the day with Tomkins the stand out of the 4.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Stats from game appear to back you up on AWB
Old 17-09-2018, 07:25 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Firstly, we were lucky to win. Normally at this stage of the season you say it is all about the performance. But after 3 straight defeats it was important to get back to winning ways for the confidence of the side: as everyone knows, winning is a self-fulfilling prophecy, so hopefully we will be better in the next one because we won this one.

I felt Hodgson got his team selection spot on for this game with the options available to him. Tomkins and Zaha, arguably our 2 best players, walk back into the team. Ayew has scored more than Andros so in the absence of Benteke that was the right call to partner him with Wilf. Schlupp needed dropping due to a lack of intensity so again that was the correct decision. McArthur is better when he doesn’t have so much positional responsibility on his shoulders so it was good to see him playing in a position where he could showcase his greatest asset, the unfailing energy that carries him effortlessly from box-to-box. And in the absence of Benteke we needed a physical and aerial asset for the blend of the side so I was pleased to see Kouyate given the nod to partner Luka. I’m not Jimmy Mac’s greatest fan, but even I will admit he deserved to keep his place, and it’s never good for the team to make too many changes so I felt Roy did well to limit the changes to 3.

However I was disappointed to see Wilf with defensive responsibilities yet again. We saw the damage he can do, and I am running out of suerlatives for the guy. But he's not affecting games the way we all know he can. In pre-season everything went through him; I know he is heavily marked but he needs more support. Either he needs a more productive midfield or someone to hold the ball next to him. 4-4-2 is better if the midfield can pass.

Personally I am in favour of Meyer playing. He is our only hope of quality supply to Wilf and he wins the ball too. But already I can tell we are not the same team as at the end of last season. It is going to be a season of transition, sadly. We need to pull something out of the bag in Jan or the summer. Need a RLC and a mobile striker with quality. Hopefully 8th to 12th, and hold Wilf for one more season after this one. My expectations have been lowered, even after a win.
Old 17-09-2018, 08:01 PM

smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!smoll has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
Firstly, we were lucky to win. Normally at this stage of the season you say it is all about the performance. But after 3 straight defeats it was important to get back to winning ways for the confidence of the side: as everyone knows, winning is a self-fulfilling prophecy, so hopefully we will be better in the next one because we won this one.

I felt Hodgson got his team selection spot on for this game with the options available to him. Tomkins and Zaha, arguably our 2 best players, walk back into the team. Ayew has scored more than Andros so in the absence of Benteke that was the right call to partner him with Wilf. Schlupp needed dropping due to a lack of intensity so again that was the correct decision. McArthur is better when he doesn’t have so much positional responsibility on his shoulders so it was good to see him playing in a position where he could showcase his greatest asset, the unfailing energy that carries him effortlessly from box-to-box. And in the absence of Benteke we needed a physical and aerial asset for the blend of the side so I was pleased to see Kouyate given the nod to partner Luka. I’m not Jimmy Mac’s greatest fan, but even I will admit he deserved to keep his place, and it’s never good for the team to make too many changes so I felt Roy did well to limit the changes to 3.

However I was disappointed to see Wilf with defensive responsibilities yet again. We saw the damage he can do, and I am running out of suerlatives for the guy. But he's not affecting games the way we all know he can. In pre-season everything went through him; I know he is heavily marked but he needs more support. Either he needs a more productive midfield or someone to hold the ball next to him. 4-4-2 is better if the midfield can pass.

Personally I am in favour of Meyer playing. He is our only hope of quality supply to Wilf and he wins the ball too. But already I can tell we are not the same team as at the end of last season. It is going to be a season of transition, sadly. We need to pull something out of the bag in Jan or the summer. Need a RLC and a mobile striker with quality. Hopefully 8th to 12th, and hold Wilf for one more season after this one. My expectations have been lowered, even after a win.
Pretty good summary. I was expecting us to cruise this season after Fulham but the loss of Cabaye and RLC seems to have effected us more than I thought. Looking forward to seeing Meyer given a run although is unlikely to change a winning team. Saturday was our worst display so far but our superstar pulled it out of the bag for us
Old 17-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Significant Udder

Direwolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
If we are going to pump the ball high towards Ayew we'll be miserable for a long time. I understand Roy not taking him off as he was looking for the counter attack, but there is not point in lofting high balls to someone like Ayew.
Totally agree. He was dominated in the air. He was though good at holding the ball up and shielding it if if dropped just before the CB could stick his head on it.
Old 17-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Significant Udder

Direwolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDirewolf : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
Why do Huddersfield fans seem to think Zaha's challenge on Haderdjonajaiaha was so terrible? He barely touched him. Intent was there but it wasn't close to doing any harm.
It was an odd one. I watched it at the game and a few times on TV and all I can see is Wilf sticking his leg in as their guy swings through on the ball and makes contact with Wilf as he does so. I think what caused the booking was a visible degree of intent from Wilf as he ran in (I thought as I watched it ‘he’s lost it here’) and then of course the crowd reaction.
Old 17-09-2018, 10:33 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post

I agree Luka was the worst of our midfield but as I said I gave him benefit of the doubt and rounded him up not down while doing it but wouldn’t argue with a 5. I was just clearer on Aaron’s performance because although he was ok on the 1 on 1 moments, other than that he was too often struggling positionally and was losing possession in daft areas. Passing is weak still. PVA had some poor moments by his standards and gave away a daft corner but despite that was involved in some of our best breaks, so for me balanced it a little. That was clearer after watching the highlights mind (I had watched the 90 mins earlier). It’s not a science and I wouldn’t argue bitterly about any of them unless someone suggested anyone had a really good game, because they were all patchy at best. Even Wilf.

Re Aaron and who scored. Aaron continues to make an abnormally high number of tackles and this appears to boost his scores I reckon. I can’t imagine anyone watching thought he had a MOM performance. Whoscored scores are algorithm based and over a season will be normally be fair but in specific matches can distort and for me this is one of those surely. No need to panic, just head down and go again. He wasn’t alone and the change of formation left fbs exposed a little too much.

Last edited by Martin H; 17-09-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 18-09-2018, 07:39 AM
Trainer Specialist

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Rhino View Post
Sounds like we really do need to get Meyer in the team. The most logical way would be in place of Ayew to try and get a better hold of midfield, freeing Wilf up from defensive duties.
That might help, although i think anyone who thinks the midfield is stronger so far this season compared to last is on something. You cant lose two international quality players and not miss them can you. Its being felt in several different areas on the pitch. I also though Schlupp was carrying a bit of timber when he came on. Think we need to use an attacking central midfield option personally. If we let Newcastle bang in crosses all game i cant us keeping another lucky clean sheet with their better strikers.

Russia demonization. Watch the pricks lap it up.
Old 19-09-2018, 05:32 PM

palace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Rhino View Post
Sounds like we really do need to get Meyer in the team. The most logical way would be in place of Ayew to try and get a better hold of midfield, freeing Wilf up from defensive duties.
No it's not.
The most logical way would be in place of James MacArthur, unless Luka's poor form continues in which case it could be Luka.
But as said I think first we should try Luka Kouyate as defensive midfielders and Meyer who is same as Cabaye a fantastic interceptor of the ball (second best figures in Bundesliga) defensive and attacking roles.